Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 288 - Not thinking so much

     I really don't want to spend a lot of time tonight talking about things I am thinking, because there isn't a lot there that is remotely positive to think or write about.  Just lots of fretting and worrying about things that are far beyond my control.    So instead I will talk about my fantasy teams, football and hockey, even though for the hockey teams it is very early in the season to be saying much of anything.

     I'll start with football and the team I have in the league at work where finally I won a game and now have a robust 2-4 record.  That four game losing streak really took the wind out of my sails this season, which sucks because the case could be made that my team isn't that bad.  In fact I have scored the 3rd most points in the league (out of 10 teams) and if I were to play every team in the league each week as opposed to just the one on my schedule I would be 33-21, but some times you just catch the wrong team on the wrong week.  All hope isn't lost, the top four teams qualify for the playoffs and right now 4th place is only a 3-3 record so if I can just keep scoring points at my current pace everything else should balance out in the end. 

    My Yahoo team that I did simply to earn Swagbucks is faring better, they are 5-1 and in first place.  Technically it would be tied for first, one other team is also 5-1 but Yahoo considers points scored for their first tiebreaker and in that league I am also scoring points in bunches, in fact I have almost a 40 point lead on the next closest team in that regard.  My only loss this season was by a 75.44-73.38 score, so I am like three points away from being undefeated to this point.  This week I get the other 5-1 team in a head to head matchup, so I could go all dramatic and say that first place is on the line.  Not too bad considering after the draft Yahoo did projections on how the teams would finish based on their rosters and I was projected to go 0-14.  Just a word to the wise for people who base how they approach fantasy sports on projections and  preseason rankings, they aren't everything, they are just opinions and like assholes, everyone has them.  Unless of course you are a genetic abnormality, but let's not go there.

     Hockey is a little harder, the league I am commissioner in is a head to head league but because the season started on a Wednesday our first head to head contest, which is normally a week long, is a 10 day affair to open the season.  We have 11 categories and each category counts as a game in the standings.  If week 1 ended today I would have went 4-5-2 in the first week.  Not great, not bad, just ho hum middle of the roadish. 

     The other hockey league, where again I have no idea how the scoring works I am 4th out of 5 teams early on.  I know I have complained about this before, I just don't understand how some things are weighted in this league.  Right now the player who leads the NHL in goals (Rick Nash) is only the 7th best player in our scoring format.  Sidney Crosby, who is tied for 2nd place in scoring (3G, 3A) despite only playing two games to this point, is the 22nd best player, behind such luminaries as Tyler Toffoli.  It just boggles my mind and I am better off not thinking about it. 

      There, that was distracting enough. Now I am going to go see what other trouble I can get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been