Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 58 - The stupidest thing I read all day

     For those that have been along for this merry project you know that I have spent some time ripping into The Weather Channel around here for their need to name everything in order to invoke a sense of fear and dread into their programming in an attempt to grab viewers.  At work today we had another one of those things called white outs briefly, where there is so much snow falling so quickly that it cuts visibility down considerably.  The time that it lasted wasn't very long, I would say maybe 15 or 20 minutes and then it let up and the actual snowfall total wasn't all that measurable, just enough to basically give everything a good dusting and remind everyone that it isn't near springtime yet.

     That being said, when I got home tonight I thought that maybe I better look at the weekend forecast, because if the weather isn't all that bad then I might want to look into making some plans, after all I did enjoy getting out last Sunday, even if I did end up going into work for an hour or so.  It was nice to rejoin the human race and do things like window shopping and just walking about.  So I made the dreaded mistake of heading over to The Weather Channel's web page, just to see what the weekend forecast would be.  Of course there had to be another pet name on there, this time it is weather storm Titan (Everybody panic!!!!!, Lock your doors!!!!   Buy toilet paper!!!!   Titan is coming!!!).  Seeing that, I might have let out an audible groan.  But that wasn't the best thing I saw on the site, rather it was a link to an article further down the page,  "The Science Behind Naming Winter Storms at The Weather Channel".

     Yes kids that's right, apparently coming up with names is science.  Forget everything you learned in school, you know, that silliness that involved coming up with a hypothesis and then testing it to see its validity.  All of that is just rubbish, what really sets the scientific community apart from the rest of us is the ability to come up with a name.  Without that skillset, well then, you're just a hack.  

     Personally I can't wait for September now.  You see, it is in September that the Nobel committee starts the nomination process for the next batch of Nobel prize winners, and this year I am going to nominate the lady that works at the animal shelter here in town, because she names all of the puppies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been