Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 43 - Your "Not So Top 40" Countdown

“Sold Me Down the River” (live) – The Alarm

Just getting settled in to do a blog here, figured I would turn on Pandora while I did this for some background noise. Far be from me to keep it to myself when I can share, so I will add song titles as I type. I know what you are thinking, I sure hope this is a short blog then. Truth is, so do I, it is after 10pm after all and this has to be posted by 12am in order to keep the Blogger 365 project up and running.


I might have got started on this just a little bit earlier, but I decided to nap instead. The idea of sleeping is always made easier when I have a Red Stripe in me. Actually that is the case with beer in general, it acts as a good sleeping pill, certainly better than any over the counter medication.

Sorry, had to waste a Pandora skip on Coldplay. Bands that sound like a man pretending to be a woman whining are not my cup of tea right now. Grow a pair already.

“Everything Counts” (live) – Depeche Mode

Yes, Depeche Mode can be whiny as well, but if I am going to listen to that type of band (whiny), I would rather they be more electronic than psuedo-rock. Anyway, I had my Beer of Sleeping +1 and took an early evening nap,. And it must have been a pretty deep sleep because when I woke up I had that disoriented feel, like I slept the whole night away and the morning as well and was way late for work. In truth I probably slept 2 and a half hours at most. But it was while lying on my floor in front of the radiator, which is slowly becoming my favorite spot in my apartment. I have given up expecting to feel warm in here, if I get up from this spot I can feel the chilliness in the air in my apartment so I tend to park myself in relative proximity to one of the few areas in my apartment where that chilliness doesn't occur, a 3 foot half circle around the radiator.

“Slide” - Goo Goo Dolls

Okay, not my favorite song by them, but at least they have a better body of work than Coldplay, so this song survives the dreaded skip bin.

Not sure why I was tired this evening though, save for the beer. Probably just a result of working another 9 hour day, though I still have managed to stay ahead so far this week. My desk is not awash in invoices for the accountant, nor do I have a bunch of extra things to do tomorrow when I get in. In fact I started getting my Thursday work done today, which is oddly productive of me.

“Where Is My Mind?” (live) Frank Black and The Catholics

Okay, no as good as Black's version with his other band (Pixies) but not awful. And I do play this song quite a bit when I am hitting the jukebox in the bar.

I have plenty at work I still need to get done, as a rule of thumb I often say that if you can't find something to do there, then you aren't trying very hard. On any given day when people are asking if they ca go home early because they are bored, I just shake my head because there is always something to do. Sure it may not be something you do n a daily basis, like wipe off shelves or something like that, but in my mind showing the initiative to do something like that versus begging to go home early is the difference between the people that I would tell Ed deserve a raise and the ones that I would have less an inclination to go to bat for. It is the way my mind rolls.

“No 13 Baby” - Pixies

Speak of the devil. Here they are. Again one of those bands that this isn't their best song, but I will not skip it. I have a limit on my skips on Pandora, don't want to waste them, because once I do it will be the time my station decides to play 15 Morrissey songs in a row, just to fuck with me. NO need to tempt the Pandora gods yet.

“Just Like You” – The Godfathers

Okay, I tolerated a few songs from bands that I like that aren't the best offering they have, this one will fall victim to a skip.

“Justice in Murder” – Coheed & Cambria

I'll be honest, I am late to the C & C party (as opposed to C & C Music Factory, for which we should all have been late for) but I am slowly becoming a fan of theirs. Not a Joey Styles “OH MY GAWD!!!!” fan, but just appreciating their music more than I had done previously. But then I am not much for anything new music wise, so being late to the party is more the rule than the exception in my music tastes these days, since little that is new is all that good.

Wow did I just get side tracked. Have to go back and see where I was. Oh, just saying that there is always work to be done. That is true of my work as well, I only stop because I don't want to live there, otherwise I am sure I could find something to do most of the time.

“Timelines” - Motion City Soundtrack

I am just pacing myself when it comes to work, I never go home early but I try not to stay too, too late either just because I know I will be back the next day. Today 9 hours seemed to be just about right. Enough work that I felt like I got something done, and one beer after I got home it was nap time for me. Now comes the plan for dinner, of which I have none. I could order in, but my street is still icy enough that I would not call for a delivery, I will not put someone else's car in jeopardy because my street will never be cleared and here on McKee Place we are just waiting for the spring thaw.

“Almost” - Bowling for Soup (skip)
“Kiss Them for Me” - Siouxsee and The Banshees

Public works you ask? How can your street not be cleared? Well the city has already run out of salt and our brand new Democratic Mayor Bill Peduto is picking up right where our old Democratic Mayor Luke Ravenstahl left off. Mayor Peduto has been in office for roughly three weeks now, I say roughly because apparently the job is so hard he is already taking a vacation. Don't get me wrong, as a rule I am a registered member of the Democratic Party, but this one party nonsense in Pittsburgh is so fucking sad that all you need is a D in font of your name in the voting booth and as far as your record goes, you could spend your free time raping babies, and as long as you aren't a Republican, then you will be elected.

“Something I Can Never Have” - Nine Inch Nails

I know you think I am joking, but let's look at our last two mayors that left office of their own accord (I will not use Bob O'Connor for my story because he died in office), Tom Murphy used a backdoor loophole that cost the city taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars for building two new sports stadiums, one baseball, one football even after a referendum on the stadiums was shot down by the voters at large. Nobody wanted to pay for them, the mayor did it anyway. Was he ever held accountable at the voting booth? No, he continued to be reelected until he decided not to run again. Luke Ravenstahl, the boy mayor who would be king, used his office to go on a junket on the private jet of one of the owners of the Pittsburgh Penguins, even while the Penguins were negotiations regarding their new building and how it would be paid for. He and his cohorts used a Homeland Security vehicle to go to a Kenny Chesney concert, he crashed Oakmont Country Club when Tiger Woods was playing there as part of PGA event and his police chief created a slush fund in a private account outside the overview of City Council which could be accessed with debit cards, including those being carried by some of the officers on the mayors security detail. Of course Luke too kept being reelected, he was never beaten in an election for mayor either. Now we have Bill Peduto, who in one month managed to create a brand new department, Office of Budget and management and who did he select for the head of this new department? Only someone who owes the federal government over $80,000 in back taxes. Work like that deserves a vacation, don't you think. 3 weeks in, can't wait for the next few years here.

“Driven Like the Snow” - Sisters of Mercy


Oh well, I should go get something to eat, man can not live on coffee and cigarettes alone. If he could then I would be the model of fitness. Anyway, last song before I go......

“In Your Eyes” - Peter Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been