Monday, February 3, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 34 - Things left behind

     Through the course of the day I had been asked by friends and co workers what I thought about the game last night.  Now I don't live under a rock or anything, there was only one game hey could have been referring to, the Super Bowl.  The thing is, I didn't watch it. 

     I am a sports fan to be sure, I like to sit down and watch a game as much as the next person.  And if someone offers me tickets to a sporting event here in Pittsburgh, regardless of how mundane that sporting event will be, chances are I will go.  In the last twelve months I have probably been to 4 Pirates games (baseball), 3 hockey games (Penguins) 1 professional football game (Steelers) and one college football game (Pitt Panthers), so it isn't that I do not like sports but at sme point it no loger became appointment viewing for me.  There was a time where I would be geeked up for Super Bowl Sunday, making a plan for just what I wanted to do, where would I go, who would I watch the game with and now, I just don't care.  Sports has gone from a can't miss for me programming to just one of a number of options on how to spend my free time.

     I say that because we are coming up on the Olympics and I am not holding out any sort of patriotic fervor for the games nor any gripping desire to watch them.  I imagine that if I am in a room and something from the games are on I might watch for a bit, but I can't see myself rushing home to catch any particular event, nor will I get all hung up on medal counts between countries that are competing.  Maybe this is just one of those things that adults give up as they get older, though the imbecilic behavior of some Steeler fans in this town says that it isn't an age thing, or maybe it is just in the grand scheme of things sports carries almost zero importance to me.  The constant barrage of reminders of how much sports is a business has led me to treat them as such, I am no more likely to been seen standing in a crowd chanting "Here We Go Steelers, here we go" than I am to be standing outside the glass towers downtown chanting "P - P - G, P - P - G".  It is like someone has hit a dimmer switch in my soul when it comes to sports, maybe I would appreciate them more if they were no longer available locally, or maybe I wouldn't miss them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been