Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 36 - TITIT #18 The past repeats itself

     So I was wondering just what it was I would blog about, when a couple of weeks ago I saw a cover of Sports Illustrated's Super Bowl preview edition of their weekly magazine.  On the cover was this image....





      While that cover may not mean anything to you, and if it did then it may mean even less now since Denver did get the shit kicked out of them in the Super Bowl, the title of the lead story is what stuck with me, if for no other reason then I used to do blogs in a similar vein, blogs that were titled "TITIT" for "Things I Think I Think".   But just because I remembered something I used to do is not in and of itself reason enough to do it again, I have to have opinions on multiple topics in order for a TITIT to work.  Luckily for you, today is such a day. 

      Starting off with the big debate last night between Bill Nye and Ken Ham at the Creation Museum over evolution versus creationism, the only thing I can think of is why?  Does anyone really believe this type of debate on the internet is remotely informative?  Rather is is just supporters of each man coming together to shout at the other side, not much different than a political debate in that regard.  The person I hold to blame for this most of all though is Bill Nye.  Why in the world would you even lend a shred of credibility to Ken Ham by sharing a stage with him?  This is akin to comparing the cinematic greatness of "The Godfather" with that of "Ernest Goes to Camp".  I get the creationist argument, belief relies on faith, but belief is not science nor should it ever share the same stage with science.  I can believe my cock is 12 inches long but the fact of the matter is we have a way of measuring things, and if my cock were to be measured then my belief would be shattered by evidence to the contrary.  Nye diminishes himself by sharing the stage with a charlatan such as Ham.

     I am not a fan of rap music by any stretch of the imagination, but if the planned boxing match between George Zimmerman and rapper DMX takes place, I will definitely be on the side of DMX in that bout.  There are few people on this planet who I would say I enjoy watching them get their ass beat, but George Zimmerman would be high up on that list. 

     CVS is saying that come October 1st they will no longer sell cigarettes in their drug stores.  Being they are a private company, far be it from me to tell them what they should or shouldn't sell, but CVS can quit lying to the public when they say the reason they are doing it is because of the health risks involved with smoking.  If CVS were that worried about the health aspects of the products they sold, then they would not be selling aisles of junk food and soda in their stores either.  Rather this is merely an issue of dollars and cents, cigarettes are one of the lowest profit margin items a store can sell, usually falling into the 12-15% category, though places that sell at state minimum pricing can see that margin fall down to about 9%.  CVS has already made inroads in cutting it's labor force by shoving out its lowest paid employees in favor of self checkout scanners, where one person can just watch over 5 or 6 different terminals, thereby eliminating 4 or 5 cashier jobs in the process.  The only counter in CVS that is manned on an even semi regular basis is the one where you by cigarettes, so if you take away that product, you take away the need for that cashier as well.  CVS is less concerned with their customers health then they are concerned with their own financial well being. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been