Thursday, February 13, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 44 - So much for plans

No rants, no opinions, no music, just a quick note or three. Today was pretty much like every other day at work, a day that thought would go relatively easy, after all I had a head start on my work today, nded up taking far longer than it should have.

I got to Gus Millers around 8:30 am, which is pretty much on schedule for me, but when I got there things already were starting to fall behind schedule. The instant ticket machines were actually pretty full, we sold $2200 worth of tickets since the day before, so I had plenty of money to count and sort, plus a lottery ticket order was delivered to the store the day before, so I had that to deal with as well. Still I got out of the store in a decent amount of time and began the trek down to Smithfield News, which took far longer because once again it was snowing and the city of Pittsburgh has no salt with which to clear the roads. By the time actually got into work it was almost 10am.

Still I should have had plenty of time to do everything needed to do, bu at noon I was stuck in a meeting with Comcast about the possibility of switching internet providers. The problem with our internet constantly cutting in and out was the reason for the meeting, but I don't think it is a provider issue so much as it is a wiring issue. We have had a habit in the past of hiring people who are less than qualified to do the work that we gave them, but because they were cheaper we went with them. That was the problem with our last register system as well as a handful of other problems. Now those problems are coming home to roost with our new system in place. The in house network works fine, but connecting to the internet is problematic.

After that meeting, I still had my grocery order to do, but before I could Dee was saying that the deposit amount for Smithfield was coming up way short, so I ran a few reports to see if I could locate the missing money, which was even harder because our people are still struggling with figuring out the registers. One would think that after having the system for two months now, a certain familiarity with it would start to take hold, but that isn’t the case.

By the time I got started o doing my order it was almost time to send it in, so I ended up scrambling around, trying to get as much stuff as I could, though I am sure I missed plenty of items in my mad dash to make sure I ordered everything we needed.

Then just as I thought my day was finally starting to get on track, I am told that the ATM is not working. Given Brian just put money in it earlier today (yes, we had a guest appearance from Brian), I knew it still had money, so I went to see what the problem was. Apparently some bills got jammed when the machine was trying to dispense them, literally $20 bills jammed in the dispenser, I have never fixed this problem before, so I guess we will wait and see if I did it properly, though it seemed to be working when I left the store.

I still had my return trip to Gus Millers though, I had three more books of lottery tickets to load into the machines after all of the ones we had sold the day before. All is well and good, it is a task I am usually pretty good at, but while I am there the lottery terminal where the numbers games are played decided to freeze up, so I ended up on a 30 minute phone call with Scientific Games in order to get the terminal back up and online. By the time the day ended, what should have been a relatively easy day turned into another 9.5 hour clusterfuck. Now all I want to do is relax and go to sleep, which is why I am writing now, if I fall asleep it probably will not be a nap, but a nice long slumber. So off to slumbering I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been