Saturday, February 15, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 46 - What weekend?

7am

The day starts at 6am.  It didn't have to start that early, but I was looking forward to breakfast at 7:30 at Pamela's so I opted to stay awake.  Plus I awoke from a rather awful dream where I was watching funnel clouds descend from the sky all over my neighborhood and thinking I was going to get caught in a tornado, so while I woke up early, I felt no need to be going back to sleep for more of that.  Instead I got up, fired up a pot of coffee, came back into my living/bed room and goofed on some apps on Facebook on my laptop while running Fox Sports Radio on the iPad.  Wash my morning entertainment down with a coffee and a cigarette and it is time to get dressed and head out the door.



7:45am
Well so far so good, made it to breakfast.  As I was getting dressed I packed up the iPad and switched over to the local sports talk radio station, more as background noise than anything else.  It is an interesting morning for sports talk, with the time difference between here and Sochi, the United States - Russia hockey game is starting at 7:30am our time, if I didn't have to work today it would be something I would like to watch, with players from the Pittsburgh Penguins playing for both countries.  Plus it is hockey, so there is that which piques my interest.  But here was this local guy, blabbering on the radio about how for the US to win, they need not take penalties.  Thanks for that astute analysis Lou, tell me, who do you think is buried in Grant's tomb?  Even better, they were doing a live broadcast from a bar, because nothing says 7:30 am on a Saturday like pounding a few beers.

I should mention that it is snowing again, we probably got another inch or so of snow last night and it is continuing to fall even as I am eating my breakfast, which I guess make the radio station doubly smart, running a remote broadcast and promoting the fact they have beer specials on tap so you can then send drunk drivers out on snow and ice covered roads.  Always a smart move.  Anyway, my food is here, so I think I will eat my breakfast ( the special is a gyro omelet, yumm!) and read some more of my book.  I am a little past halfway through "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell, which is a book that a nerd like me would enjoy of course.

8:42am
On the bus headed to Smithfield News, I finished breakfast and then stopped by Gus Millers to grab the instant ticket money.  Once again they are out of something like 7 books of tickets so the first thing I will do when I get into the office is count the instant money for both stores then head right back into Oakland to reload the machine before actually starting my day downtown.  I have plenty to do today as well.  The register company came in Thursday night and fixed the issue we had with the credit cards swipers on the terminals.  Of course by doing that they managed to kill the internet connection in the office downstairs, so part of my day Friday was doing a walk through with them to get the office up and running again.  Afterward though everything seemed to be working.  It's a Christmas miracle I tell you.  I am happier than Lane Meyer getting TV dinners for the holidays.  (Kudos to the two of you in the room that got that reference.)






I took a picture of what the world outside looks like from my standing position on the bus.  Everything is moving very slowly, the streets still look like they have been barely touched thus far.  Oh well, just another obstacle to deal with this morning.  As I was saying, I want to try to get some more of the every day specials up and running in the register system.  I have a few of them already done, but there are still a few that I want to get to the point where they will automatically apply when scanned, rather than inputting the prices manually.  What makes it so time consuming is that I have to delete and then relabel and add things that already scan, but relabel them in such a way that I can get a discount to apply.

10:03am






Waiting on the bus to take me back to Gus Millers, with 7 books of lottery tickets in tow.  I got to Smithfield and reloaded the machine there (2 books) and took the money out, then went down to the office to verify the money collected from the machines with the report totals.  Everything squared away, then I had to take the money from Smithfield and buy all of the ones and fives from the money from Gus Millers, so that I could have all of the change in one deposit if the store should need to buy it this weekend.  All told I probably sorted about $2700 and managed to put together $400 in fives and another $250 in ones.

The roads are a little better now, probably due to the traffic volume on them and the fact it is getting a little warmer out and I can almost see the sun.  I should have taken a picture of that, given the weather here recently I doubt anyone would believe me if I said I was able to see it.  I am on coffee #3 of the day, but I have been moving since 6am so that isn't all that surprising.  What is surprising is that I am able to type anything at all on this bus.  I think this is one where they decided that shock absorbers were going to cost too much.  If I were writing this would look like the Etch-A-Sketch from Hell.

Almost at my destination, time to pretend like I work here and stuff.

11:03am
Lottery machines are done.  Woohoo!!!  Now onto my next project, as soon as I can catch a bus back downtown.  I passed on the first one that came by, it looked to be too packed, not that I am against standing on am bus, I would just prefer that I wasn't squashed in like a sardine.  It turned out to be a fortuitous call, the next bus was here less than two minutes later and it was half empty.

I suppose I should make mention of the fact yesterday was Valentine's Day.  Not that I did anything all valentine-y, I worked another 9.5 hour day then went home and played on my laptop and then slept.  I have come to the conclusion that relationships are a lot like Facebook games, everyday you come back to the same thing with the hopes that on this day you will do better, or move further along but what usually ends up happening is the game or relationship is just a giant time suck and you are no better off than you were the day before and after a while that repetition becomes tiresome.  Happy Valentine's Day!

Anyway, next on my docket is to get into work and start by doing the invoices I collected on Friday.  Hopefully I can get that done in about 30 minutes or so, but we will see. If you see a bunch of music popping up on my Facebook feed, then you know I am working in the office.


4:14pm
Things were going well at work, managed to get the entire Monster product line into the register system, also went through our basket of non scannable items and added those.  I even fixed the 32 oz. Gatorade special and managed to get that special up and running (2 for $3).  Things can't be easy though, found out one of our overnight guys has pneumonia.  I have managed to cover his first two shifts (Sunday and Monday night) but to do that I will be working a double on Monday.  After Monday I do not know, it will depend on how long he is off work.  For now though I wanted to get the immediate future taken care of.  Besides, long term planning is for sissies.  Now I get to try and get my grocery order done.  If all goes according to plan ( it never does) I may get out of work by 6 pm.  Yay!!!!

6:50pm
The best laid plans and all that jazz.  Just now sending the grocery order in.  I ended up pulling quite a bit of stuff up from the basement, stuff that should have been on the floor for sale, but that would be asking too much.   So now I am just waiting for confirmation that my order has been received.  So far the new tangled internet is still working.  That is what happens when you rearrange all of the tubes and what not.  Woohoo, no failure, I can go home.  Well, after I grab something to make for dinner that is.




7:58pm
Well I am finally back in my apartment, I decided on the bus ride home I would read my book instead of write.  This blog entry is not going to commandeer all of my free time today.  I was actually hoping that Hulu would have the latest episode of "Shark Tank" posted, that is one of my Saturday night guilty pleasures, but there was no new episode this week so I am out of luck there.  Probably just as well, I need to finish this up and that would be a distraction, and while I was watching i would probably end up falling asleep and then fail to post this blog.  Since I am writing on the iPad I still have to mail this to myself and make a few modifications before I am done, so I think I will just say good night now.  Good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been