Sunday, February 2, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 33 - More of the same

I would like to say that my mind is in a better state since I blogged yesterday, but it really isn't. I spent my day doing almost nothing, I am basically just using today as a rest up day so I can turn around and do the same thing starting Monday morning.


Things didn't get any better after I left off my blog at lunch yesterday. I went back in to work, thinking that I would do a grocery order, maybe get a couple of racks of items scanned into the new system, but it didn't turn out all that way. Sure I did get those things done, but I also ended up doing another handful of things that I had no plan on doing when I headed back in.

First, when I got there there was a cigarette order on the fax machine, one of the people that orders cigarettes for their company through us sent me an order to put in for Monday, 45 cartons. So I put the order together and I faxed a copy of the order to Ed as well as the price to bill them. One of the new tastks I have taken on is now I do pricing on everyone else's orders. I don't have to do it, but since it is in front of me it is just easier for me to do it and put it in than someone else do it. Plus if I leave Ed actually do the cigarette order, he doesn't know the item numbers involved and it usually ends up with me sending cigarettes back and reordering the ones we needed in the first place.

So I sent did this, faxed it to Ed and of course that just resulted in him faxing me 9 pages of stuff that he wanted price checks on. Mind you some of the stuff are things that I just sent him the prices for not more than two weeks ago, but now I get to recheck them.

Then there was the fact that a bunch of items that were laying in the basement and should have been put on the sales floor weren't so that got tossed onto my pile of shit to do as well. And the new credit card swipers on the terminals were not working, so I had to figure out why that was taking place, then call the people that installed the system and tell them what I found out. We have a redundancy built into the system, the cards are processed on an internet connection, but if something should happen where that connection is down or interrupted then there is a phone line backup where the system will call in the transaction instead. Of course if that doesn't work we do have a third option, we still have our old cedit card machines on the counter we can use. Well the internet connection was not working, so the terminals were defaulting to the phone line, which was saying no dial tone, meaning that everyone was going to the third option and running the cards on the old machines. Except what was happening when the system was defaulting to the phone line was it was timing out before the transaction could appear on the screen, so even though it was saying no dial tone, in fact the transaction was taking place. By using the old units we were in fact running their cards twice.

Anyone want my job? Really, anyone? I think I would give it away for some magic beans at this point. By the time I had actually gotten to doing my order and getting out for the day I had logged another 10 hour day and I still have a list of things that will have to be dealt with Monday on top of what I already do. So instead of doing anything exciting today, I mostly just laid around my apartment. I went for a short walk while drinking some hot chocolate, but the weather was crappy enough that even that wasn't enjoyable.

Anyway, I should try to get motivated here, I need o make an honest effort at doing some laundry tonight and maybe doing some invoices for work and then try to get some sleep before another week of fun is upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been