Thursday, February 20, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 51 - Ceremonial

     According to my blogger dashboard this would be post #1400, which might be cause for celebration, except it really isn't post #1400.  In fact I am well beyond that, but because of the powers that be way back when, some posts were lost, into the internet void as it were.

     Many moons ago when I first started blogging I was using the Yahoo 360 platform.  In its earliest days I would argue it may have been the best platform I have ever blogged on, but like most things Yahoo it was left to fall into a state of disrepair and left for dead while the fine folks at Yahoo chased after the next big fad they thought would be a hit (Yahoo Mash anyone? Didn't think so.)  But before the problems that would ultimately bring an end to Yahoo 360, I was stuck with a problem of my own.

     At some point while I was there, I had an issue with being able to log in, my password was not working with my ID.  I sent a long, complicated email to the powers that be at Yahoo, trying to prove I am who I am.  The email met with some success, I was given my place back but the password information for the page had to be reset.   This would all fall under the category of no harm, no foul in the grand scheme of things save for the fact that, like I said before, Yahoo 360 ended up closing up shop.

     Many of the refugees from 360 were then left to find a new blogging platform, and some of us made our way to a place called Multiply.  Another relatively simple blogging platform to use, and it had many of the same features that Yahoo 360 had.  As an added bonus, they created an import option for those people who used to be on 360, so our previous scribblings and what not could be brought onto their site.  This is where the #1400 issue comes into play.  Because I had the issue with my password, Multiply was able to import some of my previous entries, the ones that I had made after the issue with my password.  The ones prior would not import for some technical reason that I am sure someone could explain to me some day, and which point I would pretend I know what they are talking about and just nod my head in agreement.

      In Yahoo 360s final days I still had access to those entries, and I did bring some of the across manually, literally going in and copy and pasting each blog entry from Yahoo onto Multiply, but that task proved to be cumbersome to me and a bother to others, because every time I copied and pasted an old blog from Yahoo to Multiply, it would pop up on their feed as a new entry from me.  Once you start getting about 30 "new" blog entries in a 10 minute span from the same person, well let's just say I wasn't winning too many friends with that process so in the name of peace I opted to just stop with that whole process.

     The upside is I didn't lose any friends over it (that I know of anyway), the downside is that while Blogger may tell me this is my 1400th entry I know better, so there will be no celebration of a milestone, no cake and ice cream for all the kiddies.  Instead it is just me wondering if in fact it should be entry number #1500 I am celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been