Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 150 - Almost record breaking

No, the title does not refer to the 150th edition of Multiply 365, this is technically only the 149th edition after all, and even if this were the 150th straight day of blogging, people have done it longer and better than myself.  Rather it was the temperature, which hit 91 today officially, the record for this date is 92, that merits attention on the top of the page.

Not that I have a problem with it being warm, it sure as hell beats snow, but for Pittsburgh 91 would be a hot summer day, and we are still 3 weeks from summer beginning.  For the record we are also 19 days from my birthday, so be sure to shop now.  It would have been a fine day to ride my bike to work, but I had a errand or two after work that I needed too run, so the bike stayed home today.  Plus I wanted to do some five finger shopping at work.

No, I was not stealing.  Rather I was taking advantage of some screwups in ordering to add to my own cupboards at home.  Most of the products we get at the store are guaranteed, at least within reason.  That is, if we don't rid ourselves of it from the sell by date the vendor will take it back and give us credit for it.  It isn't the same as getting cash back, but close enough and usually those types of vendors we do enough business with that we would be spending that amount in the future anyway.

But there are some that fall outside that realm, those that we will sign up to try something with and the idea just fails.  Because we don't have a regular account with them, and because they are usually small enough that they can't really be taking back product that they can't resell, we just end up stuck with it.  So the product reaches its sell by date, and nothing.  Sometimes we will do like some other outlets do and mark it down in hopes of moving it at a cheaper price.  You will see this happen a lot of times in discount outlet stores to, you will wonder how they are selling candy bars that retail at $1.09 being sold 3 for $1 or something.  usually they are pushing product that is past the sell by date (which is different than a use by date).  Other vtimes we will just eat the loss, and anyone who wants to take stuff home can.

Well that is what happened at work a while back, we signed up for a program with Angle Foods, a protein meal based plan put out by Kurt Angle and and affiliate of the same vendor that was also pushing microwaveable italian dinners.  So Ed bought an entire feezer of this stuff and it pretty much didn't sell, so now I have been taking home three or four dishes a night and just stocking my freezer.  If that weren't enough, while at Universal on Saturday I uncovered more of our ancient Mud Coffee product.  For those that don't know, Mud Coffee is like a Starbucks Frappucino.  The thing is, the sell by date on this stuff was Sept 18th, 2008, and I just drank one, so if I die before I finsh typing this, make sure someone hits the save/publish button for me.

I actually uncovered some of this stuff originally in our basement about a year and a half ago, when I was first getting the stockroom arranged to my liking, then more of it appeared when we closed Weissmart and now I found another 14 cases of it on Saturday.  But health hazard be damned, I am a sucker for free stuff, so I brought a couple of four packs home tonight.  One down, 7 cans to go and I am not dead yet.

I wish I could pontificate on far grander things this evening, buit it is just too hot in my apartment, so rather than try to come up with something, I will just call it a night so that I might catch another white hot episode of "Cheaters" before turning in.  Perhaps someone can stab Joey again tonight, this time for real.

 

7 comments:

  1. Adventures in eating. You are brave. Very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your take on extreme couponing? Do you think it's worth the effort? Ew, um ... maybe you shouldn't really risk your health for something free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the thing about sell by dates (as opposed to use by ones) is that the product can still be good (and sold) after the date on the package, but the quality can be diminished. usually though on some things, like energy drinks or coffee drinks, they actually hold up pretty well. That isn't the case with everything, some products will definitely go stale or eventually bad, but coffee drinks seem to have a longer shelf life, at least it would seem so, I am not dead yet.

    As for extreme couponing, I am sure it is good for some people and if I had the time and the extra mouths to feed, it is probably something I would explore in greater detail for myself. But far too often I see people get stuff not because they need it, but simply because it is free. It is not an accomplishment to say you went to the store and got 10 free cans of dog food if you don't own a dog, that just drives the price up for actual dog owners. I do a little free stuff online, I tinker with Mysurvey.com (where I have gotten almost $400 in free stuff), mycokerewards which I have addressed previously and swagbucks, where I am closing in on about $300 in Amazon gift cards. I have tinkered with some other things with mixed results, but I just don't have the time to look for every possible deal out there, to those that do and can use the stuff I say great. I have friends that did a lot of their Christmas shopping that way,. i just don't have that kind of time to devote to it, unless I want to be unemployed from my real job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great points which is why extreme couponers should form barter groups in order to truly gain any tangible benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some friends on facebook who are into it. Recently I saw someone brag about how they spent $2 while shopping at the store and they took a picture of what they got and I was like "huh?" Do you really need 10 bottles of ketchup? Are you planning on making the poor man's tomato soup? If not, I would have gotten maybe two bottles and either given the other coupons to friends or worst case scenario, sold them for like .50 each and taken the 4 bucks and bought something else. I will not even get into how ketchup is the worst condiment ever (it makes everything taste like ketchup, that is not flavor enhancement) but just that I see no practical reason to brag about getting 10 bottles of something that you will end up throwing away 8 bottles of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what extreme couponers are...but they sound scary lol

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been