Sunday, May 8, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 127 - Mediocrity

Again I come to the page at a veritable loss for words.  I realize that it is Mother's Day, and I did try calling my mom but she wasn't home, so I pretty much did nothing for most of the day.  And it was good.  Maybe it has to do with the whole 7th day and resting thing.  I don't know.  I know yesterday when I went in to work to place the order for Monday I ended up having the honor of buidling a mountain bike.  Ed got one from Coke the other day, after hounding their rep to see what he could get for free.  It looks to be a 26" mountain bike, with a few Dr Pepper decals on it.  I say looks to be because I have no technical skill in this regard, cardboard displays are my technical limit, putting together a bike, even one that was partially assembled,  is a tad bit above my skill set.  Don't get me wrong, the bike is done, but I wouldn't ride it.  I wouldn't put myself in that kind of harms way.

I guess the only good news, if it can be considered good news, to come out of today is that the Pirates are a .500 team again.  After 34 games their record sits at 17-17.  I can't remember the last time the Pirates were at at even mark this late into a season duirng their 18 consecutive losing seasons and I will be honest, I am just too lazy to do the research.  There are limits to what I will do for the blog, reasearching sucktitude is not one of them.  CBS Sportsline is saying the Pirates were 30-30 on June 11th of 2005, but I am sure that team probably followed that up with something along the lines of a 20 game losing streak.  The thing is, it is markets like Pittsburgh that will eventually kill off baseball.  Think about it, if a woman were pregnant and gave birth the last time the Pirates had a winning record, that kid would now be getting ready for his first year of college, never once having experienced a team worth cheering for.  If ever you want to kill off a generation of potential fans, just give them nothing to cheer for.  And Pittsburgh isn't the only market like this, though we are the best at it.  There are plenty of markets out there where the chance of fielding a competitive team are about as likely as having gold come out your ass.  Sure, there are a few teams that have the money and spend it to be competitive every year, but for a vast swath of America that just isn't the case.  And with the popularity of football, it is unlikely baseball will ever get those people back.  Sure there will be some people that will remain fans, those people that remember the history of the game and can recall seeing baseball legends at the ballpark, but those people are old and getting older.  Advertisers don't covet a population that is dying off, and not being able to replenish those fans with new ones by having a sport that is competitive in just a handful of markets  is just a death sentence.  Sure it may be a long drawn out one, but it will be one nonetheless.

Wow, I just pulled a rant out of my ass.  Didn't plan on that, but I will take it and call it a night before I fuck it up with something stupid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been