Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 136 - Uselessness

Okay, not sure again where the blog is going, but that is a disclaimer that I should probably quit typing, as 9 times out of 10 I don't know where this blog is going. All I really know is that it begins at the beginning and since this is the beginning I guess logic dictates this is the start.

This was one of those days where I am sure I did stuff at work, it just didn't feel like it. I once again had the honor of writing a memo, joy of joys there. I think I have already discussed in this forum how much I hate doing stupid desk work like that, give me a real project, even if it is simply stocking a cooler, but something that feels like I am actually doing something besides sitting in front of a computer, because I do that every night when I get home, and not just for the blog though this has been a recurring theme for a few days (136) now, lol. And when I am sitting in front of a computer, I just don't view that as work. It may or may not be enjoyable, but it isn't work.

As an addeed computer bonus, the other day Ed had mentioned something about the store's email account. His mentioning it basically consisted of "I think we have one", because that is about the extent of his computer literacy. I don't think I have ever seen him on one, I am sure he has been, he has a computer that monitors the cameras in the store so he can watch from home, or Florida if he is there. But I don 't think he has actually ever been on the internet or even has a rudimentary grasp of things like email. But apparently someone at some point set up an email account for the store and after asking around I managed to get the email address and the password and and I went ahead to look into the inbox to see what I would be signing up for by having access to that account. I wish I hadn't. It was akin to blowing the dust off of an ancient relic. Not sure the last time that someone actually checked that email account, but there were almost 2000 unread emails in there. The spam filter was set real well too, it caught one. It looks like two years worth of suck I have to weed through. I haven't had this large of an email project since I worked on putting together a email list for Lynn's radio show listeners when we were being pulled from the air. Lots of work in that one, this will be just as bad, there is stuff in there that is two years old and I have no idea of whether or not it is important.

If that weren't enough, I got to spend some time looking through a vendor catalog, seeing if there was anything in there worth adding to the store's inventory.  More boring non work if you ask me.

I also had a couple orders to do today, one with Arizona and of course our grocery orders for us and Universal News. But again, in large part it is just paperwork. Some actual inventory involved but not a whole lot of physical manual labor. I am sure in the grand scheme of things what I did was of relative importance, it just didn't feel like it.

Not that I got all productive once I got home, I had a meatball hoagie for dinner that I got at work and while I would like to think that I won the battle with the sandwich, I am not so sure. I won the opening rounds to be sure, the sandwich was devoured quickly enough, but then I was forced to take a nap, so at best I would call it a draw.

Now the trick is going to be getting to bed at a decent time after a three hour afternoon nap, after all it was just a three hour tour for the crew of the USS Minnow and look how that turned out. Hopefully this will not turn out quite so bad. I guess there is only one way to find out, and that is to go to bed and see if sleep comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been