Monday, May 30, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 149 - People that aren't there anymore

I'll start by saying I am not sure where I heard the big news first, maybe I heard it on the radio, maybe it was bouncing between any one of a number of websites that I visit on a daily basis,  But the news was big just the same.  Except it wasn't.

Apparently someone hacked the PBS website and posted a story saying that Tupac was still alive and living in New Zealand.  Really?  Like any of the PBS members go on the website to get hip hop/rap news?  I know, someone was trying to be funny and show that they could hack the PBS website, but why not something more believeable or at least more PBS relevant than than Tupac?  Like "Barack Obama Sex Tape", complete with a picture of the President with a pained look on his face and a "Yes I Can" word balloon.  But if Tupac is the story you are looking to plant, why not TMZ or People or something.  You lose a lot of street cred when you are hanging with your homies talking about how you got all up in the PBS site.  I oughta know, I've done it.  It is usually followed by a blank stare or a question like "PBS is still on the air?" or "They have a website?".  And were it not for my Katie Brown fantasies (she gives good sexy bed head) those same questions would probably have crept across my radar screen as well.

Then I thought about it some more, and while having the website hacked might be an embarrassment for PBS on a national scale, I can't help but think that it is a teasure trove of riches on a local one.  What could be better than to get Rick Sebak out there, camera in hand, for the next of his PBS documentaries, "People That Aren't There Anymore".  And it would be a treasure of riches, there are plenty of dead people he could feature, and with Pittsburgh's aging population, plenty of  opportunities for future programs as well.  After all if Ben Stiller can get still make bank with tha horrid run of Fockers movies, then Rick Sebak should clean up on "People That Aren't There Anymore".  I can see 6, even 7 movies in this series without breaking a sweat.  And to start off with a bang?  How about Tupac?

7 comments:

  1. Don't give them ideas! I still haven't gotten over Orville Redenbacker and John Wayne back doing commercials again. The reanimation stuff freaks me out a bit. I don't want to buy a product from a dead spokesperson. I saw something that stated Elvis live and reanimated. I kept walking

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) It would be my guess that whomever hacked that site, is probably mid 30's (as they even remember Tupac) and socially awkward like Mark Zuckerberg. Also, there must have been a pay off so I'd say a group of socially awkward Mark Zuckerberg types and Erkle laughing at big no no. :) Hmmmm, sounds like the work of 'Anonymous' to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJwSjor4hM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how that lady cusses while talking about the church ... wtf?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The group claiming responsibility is LulzSec, and they claimed they hacked the site because Frontline ran a piece on WikiLeaks last Friday. It would seem the WikiLeaks supporters only want openness when it comes to everyone else, but when it comes to their golden calf they get into a snit. Typical hypocritical bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, the impact of hacking PBS is the equivalent of blowing up Mauritania or taking over the A.M radio waves ha ha. The only people who saw that were Mertle and Bess and they were too blind to see it in the first place ha ha!! I wouldn't worry about the repercussions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am not worried which is why I made light of it in the first place, but I had heard the group that did it claimed credit, so as is my natural instinct I had to go look it up (trying to be factually accurate and all that jazz). I am a geek and sometimes watch Frontline and I know I missed this particular episode, and there wasn't a whole lot of outcry come Monday morning about how great of an investigative piece it was for me to think about going and watching it online. But I will say, if your life consists of staying home Friday nights looking for potential insults coming from a PBS news program, it might be time to move out of your parents' basement and join the rest of the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, I'm a PBS nerd too. Hi Mertle, the names Bess ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been