Monday, October 12, 2015

B365V2.139 - On a roll (an olde timey story)

There was a time in my life that existed pre-radio and hopefully there will be a time that will exist post Smithfield News, provided this job doesn't kill me. During my pre radio days I even almost got married. I say almost like we had a chapel booked and what not and somebody was a no show, but it wasn't that far along, rather we had looked at rings and such, I had picked out the one I was going to get before the relationship turned into a shitstorm of nonsense and we went our separate ways.

Now the story I am about to tell took place about a block from where I am sitting, Jen and I had a two bedroom apartment that I walk by every day on my way to the bus stop. Truth be told I am sure I have written this story once before in the blog, but as NBC used to say about their reruns, if you haven't see it, then it's new to you. And there is the radio adage about repeating things as well, your audience is always changing, not everybody heard what you did in the last hour, with 10 years worth of material, not everybody has read everything I ever wrote as well.

A brief little background on the Matt-Jen relationship. We met while working at the now out of business Rax restaurant. There were a roast beef chain, much like Arby's, but we had a salad bar. They had a location here in Oakland at the corner of Forbes Avenue and Bouquet Street and I think I got an application for there during one of those times where I was willing to do anything to make ends meet. Back in those days two jobs was the rule, not the exception. And the thing was while I was working there  Jen was a shift supervisor, so yes I am also guilty of at one point in my life of fucking my boss. I would like to say there were perks to that arrangement but what perks to you get out of fucking your boss at Rax, free roast beef sandwiches?

While our relationship lasted two plus years our working relationship did not. I eventually left and worked at a bar/restaurant down the street, The Attic, where I ran the kitchen during dinner shift. Jen stayed at Rax, which was eventually bought out by Miami Subs, another chain that failed miserably. Okay, I just did a little research, Rax has 4 locations left, Miami Subs is now Miami Subs Grill and has a bunch of Florida locations as well as plans to expand globally, so anyone who is reading this, no matter where on the globe they may be could potentially put in to be a Miami Subs franchisee still. All I know is their 4 or so Pittsburgh locations died a terrible death, though it was quicker than the steel industry here.

Okay, that bullshit was completely off topic, when we last left our happy couple (happy at that time, now, no so much) Jen was working at Rax/Miami Subs and Matt was working at The Attic. The thing about working at The Attic was that I was working with a bunch of friends that I had known for years prior and some new people that would also become friends. And some of us even shared the same name, as there were three Matt's who worked at The Attic, so it was decided by someone, though I do not know who was on that voting committee, that we should all have nicknames. So Matt the bouncer was called Bones, a nickname he picked up in high school as a wrestler. Matt the bartender was called Tiger, why I don't know, he had no particular attribute that would make one think he was a tiger, though he did started homebrewing his own beer in his apartment, which eventually let to bigger and better gigs. When I last lost track of him I heard he was with Baltimore Brewing, one of those trendy micro brew outfits. I too was stuck with a nick name, mine was big P, it has nothing to do with genitalia (trust me on that, I am not posting pictures to prove it) but P is simply the first letter of my last name.

Now a bunch of us from the Attic would party together outside of work. On Sundays we would go drinking together when our bar was closed, after work we would hang out and play hockey on the Sega genesis at Steve's apartment or go to Bones's place where a bunch of them would get high (sorry, marijuana isn't my thing) and we would sit around and watch old Star Trek TNG reruns on USA Network or we would get together and play Dungeons and Dragons (which is where all of my nerdish D&D references in the blog come from). There were maybe 7 of us that made up that group, me, Bones, Chad, Steve, Bake and Rich.

Back to our story, one day Jen is getting ready for work and I am laying on the couch. She was running between the two bedrooms we had, one of which we used for storage and what not (this isn't a story from Puritan times, her and I shared a bed) and she had set up an ironing board in the spare bedroom and would run between the rooms going into the spare bedroom to work on her work outfit, then run back to the actual bedroom. During the time between the bedrooms I would see her go by and we were joking with each other, teasing each other with a “you're tubby” or “you're fat” type silliness that we sometimes did. Finally during one flash between the rooms, as she went to iron her shirt or something she went by in her bra and panties and I yelled out “Get me a stick of butter”. She came back into the living room and asked what I said, so I repeated myself. She asked why I would need a stick of butter and I exclaimed, “I will need some butter for all of those rolls.”

I laughed so hard I fell off the couch, I though for sure the greatness of my comedic genius would soon be recognized and I would be doing USO Tours with Bob Hope or something. Jen left for work, I got off of the couch and got dressed and made my way into work, still revelling in my comedic genius. So I go up to Bones and Steve and Chad and tell them all about my cleverness. “Ha ha ha, I told her I would need a stick of butter for her rolls, ha ha ha.” Having unloaded my comedic genius on my work audience I ran the dinner shift and closed the kitchen for the night. I had my free after work drink, shot a little pool and then went home.

I got home, Jen was there, I don't think she was all that happy with me though it was about to get a lot worse, little did I realize. Around 3am there is a car horn honking outside our apartment, I get up from the bed and look out the window, it is Chad's car, they are headed back to Bones's place to probably smoke and get high and watch Star Trek again. But why are they outside my place honking the car horn and waking up my neighbors? So I open the window to yell down and see what they want. When I open the window, four people are hanging out Chad's car windows and they all scream up to me “Big P butters the roll.” Of course Jen heard this, and suffice it to say she was not pleased, to the tune of not talking to me for hours afterward. What can I say, but some people don't appreciate comedy.

1 comment:

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been