Friday, August 22, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 234 - "If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve."

     This is going to be another one of those blogs where I piss people off, but then I have been known to do that from time to time.
     Facebook has become a place that I don't like to go to as much these days, simply because of the number of Ice Bucket challenge videos that are being posted.  You know what the are, you take a bucket of ice water, dump it over your head and then ask three friends to do the same.  It is all part of raising awareness for ALS.  News flash bulletin, I was already aware of ALS, even before hordes of people decided to take on the drown rat look.  Apparently many of these people have also donated to ALS, though one can't be sure of that, I would much rather have videos of them writing checks if that were the case.That certainly would be more inspiring for me (and believable) then a video stunt.
      My big issue though is that for me, charity is something of a personal nature, you do something or donate to a cause because it is just the right thing to do.  You don't beat your chest about it, or try to coerce others into doing the same.  I don't know how many times I have seen on Facebook companies say that if we get a certain number of "likes" we will donate x amount of money to such and such a cause.  Really?  If you have that charitable of a spirit and the means by which to do so, then the charitable endeavor shouldn't be based on the behavior of others, just shut the fuck up and do it.  Another example was when Donald Trump said he would donate $5 million dollars to the charity of Barack Obama's choice if the President released his birth certificate or college transcripts or some such nonsense.  That my friend isn't charity, it's blackmail.
     Likewise if I somehow get tagged in one of these nonsensical videos (so far I have been spared), all the tagger will get from me is a big hearty "Fuck you!!!!".  What I choose to do for charity and how I choose to do it is really nobody's damn business and I will not be coaxed, prodded or cajoled into changing that stance. 

3 comments:

  1. I always donate for pokies and wet t-shirts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, maybe the ice water would be a good idea ... as my sons used to tell me, take a chill pill.

    Got to admit...I got sick of those things too and my own family was doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had family members do it as well and because we are mostly linked on Facebook and this post ended up over there too I think there learned that tagging me probably wasn't a good idea. I just find something very uncharitable about people basically saying "Look at me, I am donating to charity", as if I should be applauding their act of self congratulation.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been