Thursday, August 25, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 235 - That's two

 

I know, I missed another day. That's twice this year and while it may have been a tad disappointing for those that are used to a blog entry popping up in there feed, it was worse for me because I had the entry probably ¾ of the way done and it turns out it was all for naught.


When last we left the blog I had mentioned the longish afternoon nap I had taken, and how much I had enjoyed it. Of course that nap came with the problem of not being able to get back to sleep. So I didn't. I just stayed up, hopped in the shower a tad bit early, but made my way to work to start another oh so fun day. Again I used my Matrix like ability to avoid most of the shit storm that has been raging for a good week and a half now. Not that Ed was in that much better of a mood, I just managed to avoid most of it.


So I get out of work relatively unscathed and I think that if I go home and nap I run the risk of repeating the very same pattern that happened the previous evening, so maybe I better play it safe and try to stay awake as long as possible. I figured I would work on some stuff, then maybe order some dinner in and then bang out a blog entry. All relatively simple. Around 9pm I am thinking that I should consider the food option, then I realize that the only bill I have in my wallet, save for a few singles, is a $100. Now I don't know what kind of money the typical delivery driver carries on them (though I have my guesses from managing a pizza shop for a year) but I know the last thing you say when placing an order is to tell them that the driver needs to bring change for $100. Any manager that would send a driver on that type of run should lose their job immediately, because that is usually a set up where the driver gets robbed. Even though that wouldn't have been my intent, I get the alarm bells such a request sets off. I start thinking of where I could break a $100. I could walk to Rite Aid or CVS and buy something that I probably didn't need. I could go to a busier restaurant and just pick something up and bring it home, but most places that would fit that description weren't places that I was all that hungry for anyway.


Inspiration. I would go have a couple beers. The bar always has change for big bills, and beer might be a good stress reliever given how work has been recently. So I went to have a couple and a couple turned into 6. Still I left the bar in plenty of time to come home and work on the blog, but I still haven't solved the original problem, that being obtaining sustenance. And given it was now after 10pm, the number of places that will deliver gets shrunken somewhat. About the only places that do deliver that late are pizza places and I wasn't in a pizza mood. Instead I decide I will just pick something up and bring it home, so I run by the Campus Deli, pick up a sandwich and some fries and come home. I start eating and start typing. The eating ended first, but I had made significant progress on the blog entry as well.


Then it happens, I put my head down on the pillow, just to close my eyes for a moment (I was blogging from the laptop on the bed) because nothing was on TV or the radio. Just close my eyes for a second and then get back to the blog entry, which was already well over a page long. And I was out. I didn't wake up again until my alarm went off at 5am. The laptop still open to my Open Office document I was typing. As an added bonus it was storming outside, so I didn't want to even have the computer on at that point, even if it wasn't storming it wouldn't have mattered, I was already 5 hours late for an entry, so I didn't even bother saving it, I just x-ed it off the screen and shut the laptop off and enjoyed the stormy weather before making my way out the door to work.


I really don't want to make a habit of that sort of thing, I actually like blogging a little too much, but my body seems to be on a more regular schedule now, so missing the blog wasn't an all bad thing for me. Now I just have to learn to go to bed at a more sensible hour, like now maybe. Nite.

6 comments:

  1. I was so confused not to see an update in my inbox, I even checked my spam folder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understandable, no, no more 6 hours naps, mister. Also, WTF? Is Ed on his man period?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not as confused as I when what should have been a quick closing of my eyes ending up making 6 hours just disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously? A driver could get robbed for a measly $100 bucks or so? The thought never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely, drivers have been robbed and killed for less. Telling someone to bring change for $100 is basically telling the driver to bring money, and while I would saay most people wouldn't rob a driver, it happens often enough that a request like that should set off alarm bells. You might make exceptions if it is a frequent customer or the driver is relatively secure in delivering to that neighborhood. But if the delivery is to a relative unknown and that request was made, I know I would never send that order. Drivers have been shot and killed for far less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have called for delivery in 10 years. I either run out and get something of make something at home. After there was a "special sauce" episode with a local pizza place I stayed away from delivery.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been