Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 220 - Pandorarama

 

“On A Carousel” The Hollies


Yes Pandora is on again, and I am listening. The station is always in need of some tweaking and given my choice this evening is either blog or write a prison letter, Pandora can be on for either. And given you are reading this, obviously it isn't the prison letter. Then again, knowing some of the company I keep, it may be the last thing they read before a visit to the pokey.


Why do they call it the pokey anyway? I mean, sure, if you bend over you may get a pokey in there, but where the hell did that name come from anyway?


“Immigrant Song” Led Zeppelin (skip) – Sorry, my station plays too much LZ for my tastes. Besides, I can find about three different local radio stations that will play that.


The latest installment in the Batman movie series has been filming here for a while now. Last week they were in my section of town, filming over by the Cathedral of Learning then on Saturday they were filming at Heinz Field. Now they are downtown shooting for at least this week and maybe into next (I have a schedule on my desk at work but haven't really read it) and by the looks of things we will be unaffected. Plenty of street closings, but not for us at Smithfield News. Not that we would close anyway, we were open for the G20 summit after all, when nobody could even park downtown lest they be presumed to be a terrorist. But we will be open regardless.


“White Room” Cream (skip) – No, just no. This isn't the 60s and I am not a fucking hippie.


“Wild Horses” The Sundays – Much, much better. A better song, sung by a woman who I still say I would marry just for her voice alone.


Not that I am all kind of excited for the filming, I mean I am glad they are shooting here, maybe the city will make a shekel or two despite itself, but I am not one of those celebrity stalker type people. If I saw Christian Bale, I would be just as inclined to ask him if he beat his girlfriend recently as opposed to wanting to strike up any sort of legitimate conversation.


“Criminal” Fiona Apple – Maybe I should be working on the prison letter.


Yeah, things are weird like that. I am still in a good mood. Curtis's demise has brought just the right infusion of motivation and glee to my work that getting through the last week of this three week marathon isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I really expected to be dragging at this point and just dreading going into work, but it hasn't been that bad. I did get busted for forgetting to order a couple of things at work for Monday, but it happens, I owned it and it kept me from getting yelled at. Just simply owning the mistake and moving on. Fighting over it isn't going to make it any better, so might as well just admit the faux paus and continue on my merry way. I just hope I didn't forget anything today, but given I was being pulled in a few different directions while I was trying to do the order, it is possible an item or three slipped through the cracks again.


“Sunny Road” Emily Torrini – (skip) WTF? Is this like a coffeehouse or something? That is just suck and more suck right there.


“Everlong” Foo Fighters - Thank god, I thought I was going to be stuck in a chick loop there for a second.


This just in, the Pittsburgh Pirates still suck. Well, I guess I shouldn't be too harsh, they were in first place as late as July year, but after a winless homestand (0-8, the worst homestand in the franchise's 120+ year history) they now find themselves 5 games under .500 and there exists the very real possibility they will extend their consecutive losing season streak to 19 straight years. On the plus side, they did make a couple of moves at the trade deadline, moves that may help the franchise in the future but even if they don't the team didn't mortgage their future by making them. No high level prospects were traded away in an effort to win at all costs right now.


“Lil Devil” The Cult – Not my favorite Cult song, and had I not had to waste skips on songs like “Sunny Road” I might have skipped this but I am a cheap ass Pandora user, so I have to use some descretion in handing out my limited number of skips per hour. I will sit through this before listening to Emily get in touch with her feelings.


Friday starts football season, at least here in Pittsburgh with the Steelers first preseason game. My season starts on Sunday with the first of three fantasy football drafts this year.


“Sea of Sorrow” Alice in Chains – Nothing witty here, sorry.


My first draft will be with some people I met on Facebook while playing the Madden Superstars app. A bunch of us that are in a group to help each other with the game (gifts, hints, tips, etc) are doing a league on NFL.com. The second will be Jade's league here on Multiply and my last one will be the one people familiar with my fantasy football postings are all too used to, that being my bar league. I need to rebound after last year's third place finish but honestly I haven't done any homework yet. I don't even know who drafted whom and am only vaguely aware of the bigger name players that shifted teams during the off season. So I have my work cut out for me starting this weekend in getting myself all caught up on things fantasy football related.


“Crackerman” Stone Temple Pilots (skip) – Okay, enough of the mediocre songs by bands that I can tolerate. I went above and beyond Spiderman on Family Guy (everybody gets one) by letting two slip through, not a third. Sorry.


“Clocks” Coldplay – Serviceable enough.


I just got a crack out of my neck. That is a good thing. It means I am relaxing. Usually if I move my neck to the right and then to the left, if after the move to the left I get at least one pop then my back and neck are loosening up somewhat. Then again, I am not at work, I am just sitting here typing with my cigarettes and my Mountain Dew both right beside me, so this is about as low key as it gets around these parts. I am not even all that worried about what I write on the page this evening. There was once again no plan, which is why I am posting my Pandora songs as they come up. It just seemed like a good idea at the time. Can't be any worse than yesterday's blog, which I though was witty and informative and was met with an almost collective yawn.


“Marching On” The Alarm (skip) – I like some of their stuff, this isn't one of them though. I'll pass.


“Let Go” Frou Frou (skip) – More coffeehouse crap. You may like this, you may even be able to purchase this at Starbucks while buying your Venti sized Double Honey Nut Mocha Suck, but I will settle for my corner store coffee for $1.25 without the added female whininess in the background, thank you very much.


“Every Day Is Like Sunday” The Pretenders – An okay cover, not great but not bad.

I think I will quit blogging when I run out of skips. Not that I will throw songs away just to get done faster but it would seem to be an almost natural stopping point this evening. If I am gong to make Pandora a focal point of this blog then it would only be appropriate that I stop blogging when I stop listening. Not that it is always the case, usually just the opposite actually, I stop listening after I finish blogging and not vice versa.


“Joy” The Sundays – More Harriet Wheeler goodness. She could come up behind me and whisper in my ear “Matt, you are a disgusting pig” and her voice would still be super sexy.


I should call my mom at some point, I don't think I have called home in about a month or so, the last time was the week before the family reunion, which I didn't attend. Nor did I get much feedback on how it went. I hope it went well, but if not I am not sure I want to know that either. Ignorance is indeed bliss. And as I titled a blog entry before, non ignorance is non bliss. The only thing I missed out on was that those of us that get together for Christmas were supposed to exchange names, and I wasn't there for it. I asked for my name to be put in and just have someone draw for me, but I still don't know if that even took place or if it did whose name I got.


“What I Am” Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians – Not bad. I have heard worse this evening.


But by not skipping this song that means I have to come up with more shit to say. Damn it. Where is that “Get out of blogging free” card when I need it? I could be in my kitchen making a cajun chicken sandwich right now, instead I am forced to type even more. And the longer this goes there exists a chance that I could end up earning more skips by listening too long. And I could really use a good cajun chicken sandwich right now, because the last two I had both kinda sucked, in that they weren't cajun at all. Yeah, that can be a problem.


“Breathe In” Frou Frou (skip) – Apparently they didn't learn from the last one I disliked, they went to the suck well a second time.


And it was my last skip. So I guess I am done, but I can't stop in mid saga like that. So I guess I will finish with my last two cajun chicken sandwiches and then call it a night. The first of the two was last Saturday at the Squirrel Cage. I had stopped in after a 6 hour tour at work and caught the right bus to go there. I had made a little deal with myself at the bus stop, if the next bus was a 61 (A, B, C or D) I would go to the Cage, if it was a 71 (A, B, C) or 500 then I would just go home. It was a 61A, so I went to the Cage and ordered my cajun chicken and fries with iced tea. Instead I got a breaded chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayo. I gave them a pass though, because it isn't often they screw up my order, the iced was delish and the fries are just to die for. Plus I like the older lady that bartends and waits tables there on Saturday afternoon. I don't go there too often, maybe 8-10 times a year and she always knows to have the iced tea at the ready (I do switch the sandwich order from time to time). So it's all good.


The second was last night when I sat down to blog, I placed an order with the South Aiken Bar and Grill online and waited for my food to arrive. Unlike the Cage, even if I wanted to send this back, it would have been a huge hassle to have the driver come back, pick up my incorrect sandwich (it was a plain chick breast , not my cajun chicken, on white bread that looked like bad store bought bread) take it back, bring a new one and now I am into a two hour wait just to get the dinner I ordered. And this isn't the first time they have fucked up an order of mine, so they get no more chances. I will take my business elsewhere than that establishment.


There, cajun chicken story done unless of course I order another some place and they too fuck it up. But for now I think I will go make my own. I am hungry after all. And there are no skips on dinner at my place.

7 comments:

  1. I hope I got the last person to register his team. I have sent him 3 invites and text him so that I can close the league and we can be ready to draft. Sometimes I get really frustrated with people and I have little tolerance right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I am seeing 5 teams in your league, there are 14 in my Madden league and 10 in my recurring bar league.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah because while I can try to get people to sign up, they don't care they are holding others up. I have one person who's signing up yet. I should have 6 teams. I have a back up person if I have to. I'm getting tired of baby sitting people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually my bar league has 12 teams, but we are still early yet, we don't draft until the Sunday before the season starts. The Madden league is this Sunday, so I am glad the last team signed up, I think they did so yesterday. I am alos interested becaue it is being done on nfl.com, and I haven't used their fantasy service yet, but I see where they have a tab for video fantasy football highlights from each game. If those videos are embeddable I can see me annoying a lot of my blog readers this football season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool. I think what I have with Yahoo restricts me to 8 teams. There's 4 minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually the number of teams is one of the league controls that is set by the comissioner. The bar league uses yahoo and we generally have 12 teams (we have 10 now with a couple of weeks yet to hear from two others) and it has never been a problem for us. But I haven't done much work using the Yahoo model while being a commissioner, back when I was running the league I used a pay site (www.myfantasyleague.com) but now that everybody is offering the same thing for free those sites are tending to die off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazingly it is still on the web, http://football99.myfantasyleague.com/2007/home/48700 and the drop down menu at the top acesses the league's history there (2007, 2006, 2005) for three of the seasons that I ran things. I did okay in two of those years (2nd in 2007, 1st in 2005).

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been