Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 213 - Mr Postman look and see...........

 

I am going to credit the trek up Mt Washington the other morning for what's causing all of this. The thing is, there are times in my life where things get a little blah, not too good or too bad, just kind of there. Everything becomes almost too routine and with it a sense of ennui takes hold. It is at times like that I try to break out of it by doing something less ordinary, like taking a 3 to 4 mile walk in the middle of the night. And while at first it seemed that it didn't help, in fact it may have made things worse given how yesterday played out, there is always another day. And guess what? Today is that day.


Was in to work on time again, actually a little bit early but not so early that I took credit for it on my time sheet. And Sammy and I did what we do best, namely dominate. Coolers were pretty much done by 9am, my invoices were done shortly thereafter. I was so far ahead on my game that Dee asked me to help her with her work, mostly counting drops from the other stores to get them ready to be deposited in the bank. Not a problem, I got this as I am sometimes likely to say.


Ed has some projects for me that I bang out in incredible Matt-like efficiency. I mean like really efficient. He was looking for a phone number and I found it is less than a minute. I was that good.


And then the heavens rewarded me for all I had been doing. The mail came. And not just any mail, but the first letter back from the prison chick pen pal. I was ecstatic. Not because of anything she wrote, but because she wrote anything. It would seem that the website isn't a scam after all, though in an odd sort of way it is at least confusing, as Jennifer (our inmate's name) said she didn't do a profile, they wouldn't let her do that in jail, so apparently someone did a profile for her. And maybe that is how the who system works, someone on the outside does the legwork in setting it up for people on the inside, I don't know. But much of what she wrote corresponded with what was in the profile. For the record, Jennifer says she was locked up for burglary, but as Ed pointed out, she says it was from something her ex-husband had did. Damn if I didn't have to be the voice of reason for a moment and remind Ed that everyone in prison believes they are innocent.


But even that didn't matter to me. Ed was happy he got a letter, I was happy that the potential for comedy is alive and kicking and Dee was upset with both of us. Not that upset mind you, but I said, I'm sorry if you can't see the potential humor in this because to me it could be priceless. All she kept saying is she wasn't working with a felon. I almost want to take a copy of Johnny Cash's “Folsom Prison Blues” to work to celebrate. I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die and all that jazz.


Tomorrow I get the honor of writing the second letter to Jennifer, and my mind is racing with the possibilities. I have ideas piled on top of ideas. It will be fun.


Then I get home and visit my own mailbox and what should be in there but more free goodies. One was from Coke, the second of my free NCAA T shirts finally arrived, who would have thought an SMU shirt would be that popular that it would take three months to arrive and I also received a free dry erase marker from the fine people at Discount Office Items, a Facebook group that allows you to be a product tester and as long as you write reviews on the products they claim they will send you new stuff to test. I will test my first product tomorrow at work, since I use a few dry erase boards at work, I actually have use for this freebie. And after banging out a review hopefully they will send me something else equally useful.


And the best thing about today, I actually have blog ideas in the hopper for later on this week. I can think of a couple I want to do right now, including getting the change meter all back up to date, since it has been about a month since my last excursion into that realm and we are closing in on fantasy football season, I am signed up for three leagues so far, but I might also end up serving as a sounding board for Brian at work for his team as well. I am trying to get him out of “donation” status, that being the guy who you can bank on just giving his money away every year. But last year I didn't get to help him until after his draft, and you can only do so much after the initial damage has been done, though he did get into his league's playoffs, so there is hope for him yet. But before I go off on a potential blog tangent I am calling it a night. My belly is full of Cuban sandwich and a nap sounds real good right about now.

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes I forget to comment because I usually read your blog in the middle of the night on my phone. I hope your feet and legs are doing ok, that was a lot of walking!! Sorry your camera isn't so great for those nighttime shots. I have to be honest, the idea of walking 3 or 4 miles...with my hip and back seems completely like torture. I admire people who do a lot of walking, especially just to get around, not necessarily as exercise.

    I digress. Excited!! A prison letter!! I knew it wasn't a scam! Can't wait to see how/if this progresses. It actually reminds me of something some girlfriends and I did in college. Ill have to send you a message, damn sure don't want to put it on my blog. Or maybe I will. I could do a series of old funny memories.

    Ok I'm rambling and I need to go ice a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been glued to ESPN radio listening to who's playing where, who's been released etc. I can't even start to set preferences for the drafts on my teams because I have no idea who's playing on what team to know how that will affect their game. I have 3 teams to get prepped also and I think it will be a tough pre season and weird season for everyone. Great news though with the Ravens. They have released almost every player that has the potential to score. The game against the Steelers 9/11 should be great and the Steelers should roll right over them. I LOVE when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually my main draft in the bar league (I have been in it for about 15 or so years now at least) we tend to draft between the last preseason game and the first NFL weekend, usually the last game is on a Saturday so we draft the following Sunday. OIt helps because by then you have had 4 weeks to see who got drafted where, which free agent went to whcih team and the worst bugaboo of all, who got hurt in the preseason. Nothing is worse than drafting too early and seeing a high pick get sidelined in week two of the preseason. But given how long we have been at this particular league, we pretty much have our rules and everfythign tweaked to where we want them. Every now and then we will float an idea and use it for a season or three to see how it works, some pan out (the scoring system is basically mine, with a few minor tweaks) others have fallen by the wayside (points per reception doesn't exist in our league) and some we had to let go after switching from a pay site (myfantasyleague.com) to a free one (yahoo) when we quit playing for money, as it became a hassle to collect money from as far away as Alaska for a fantasy league.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I am getting dangeroulsy close to one of my blog ideas, and I need to hold on to material for at least one more day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. man - I got too many - maybe resort to an online mag thing - good night

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't done a cash league. Friends have. Last season I didn't even play in the league I was commissioner. A friend took care of my team for me. To make a long story short. Controlling bitch who was part of the league invited a friend of hers that I couldn't stand. This girl was one who wore a low cut barely cover her ass dress, picked up a guy in a bar, went home with him and in the morning charged him with rape. Because she had been drinking it was automatically rape. So the guy is now a registered sex offender. I was accused of saying she deserved to be raped and the two of them started a constant stream of bullshit. I didn't say she deserved to be raped, I said she needs to take responsibility for her actions also. If you get drunk in a bar and go back to a guys place, don't wake up in the morning indignant and cry rape. So I backed out of that league and since I was commissioner and couldn't delete my team, one of the guys took care of my team for me. It was pretty much a lost season, but I stand behind my principles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kind of feel the same way right now, which is a good place to be after doing this for 213 days, I still have stuff to talk about. In the back of my mind I am already kicking around the idea of year two, which I never thought I would contemplate back in Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bar cash league was simple, but also ingenious, at least I think. Everybody ponied up $100, the top three teams in the playoffs got 25%, 15% and 10% of the kitty ($1200), but also the top three scoring teams during the year got 25%, 15% and 10% becaue there is always the guy that has an awesome team and just catches teams on the wrong week, and there is always the guy that somehow dumb lucks his way into the playoffs. This way at the end of the regular season, even if you were eliminated from the playoffs, there was still a very good chance you were at least playing for one of the third place prizes ($120, your entry fee plus $20), which cut down on attempts of collusion considerably. There may be two or three teams that just have no chance by the end of the year, but usually we had 8 or 9 teams on the last regular season week that were vying for some sort of cash prize or playoff spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One team my x boyfriend played in was a $1000 per player pot. They played for serious cash

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be too rich for me, even at $100 a shot it was tough tracking down people to get them to pay up. I had my hands full just getting the website up and running (and before that doing everything with pen and paper, yuck) let alone trying to be the bossy Italian guy out to break legs to get debts paid up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These guys could afford it. Paid up in advance and the money was held in his safe. It did make it fun watching them talk smack.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been