Friday, March 11, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 70 - The glorious monkey

As we close in on T minus 8 hours until the next trip to DeLuca's I have already made my breakfast selection, the Funky Money hotcake sundae.  It consists of chocolate chip and banana pancakes, french vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, cherry and chocolate syrup.  That, my friends, is what passes for an awesome breakfast in my book.  And it will be much needed, as I am working another 6 day week, tomorrow is the St Patrick's Day parade in downtown Pittsburgh, which is basically nothing more than another excuse to drink.  I don't have a problem with drinking, we all know I have done more than enough of it in my lifetime, but let's not make more of this "holiday" than what it really is, a reason for people to be publicly intoxicated and annoy the fuck out of the general populace knowing that there will be no repercussions forthcoming, because after all, it is St Patrick's Day.

Just par for the course around these parts.  But because the parade route goes in front of the store I am pulling an extra shift just to make sure that everything runs smoothly as far as keeping the coolers stocked and what not for potential customers, of which I expect a few.  And it a moment such as that, while I could just leave it to the people on the schedule I guess I feel a duty to make sure that things run smoothly.  After all, they are almost treating me as a manager at work at this point, even if I am not paid as such, that I should probably shoulder a tad bit more responsibility.

And pretty much as I expected, after my initial tongue lashing from Ed about the ordering everything between he and I has went along swimmingly.  He still gives me a few too many side projects that get in the way of me getting my stuff done, mostly because I am a tad bit more savvy on the computer than Ed, a tad bit being Ed doesn't use computers at all, whereas I have a slight working knowledge of them.  So I got stuck doing such things as recreating the deli menu, searching out vendors for products, writing memos, etc, even though such tasks to me are almost non work.  When I have $10,000 of merchandise on the floor waiting to be put away, or 200 cases of product in the basement that need unloaded, writing a memo isn't my biggest concern, but if Ed asks me to do it, then I have to put all of the bigger stuff aside.  All of that being said, Ed and I have gotten along quite well.  We have been goofing off with lottery tickets recently, Ed being a tad wealthier than I, will spend money on $20 scratch off tickets.  So the other day he bought a couple, they were both losers, and since I was doping work on the computer anyway, I hopped over to the lottery's website and checked to see how many big winning tickets were remaining in that game.  When it was first released in January the top prize was $1 million, of which there were 5 tickets, there were also a handful of $100,000 winners.  When I checked the website, 4 of the million dollar tickets remained.  When I told Ed that, he immediately bought two more, those too were both losers, so now I know he is in for $80.  I also know that the odds of a winning ticket are 1 in 3.11, so he is already getting the bad side of those numbers, so I go up and buy the next one, figuring a winner was due, even if it was simply $20, the cost of the ticket itself (which sadly is also figured into the winning odds).  As soon as Ed saw that I bought one, he wanted to go halfsies on it, he would give me $10 and we would split any winnings.  Except mine was a loser also, so then Amie goes and buys one, and Ed wants half of that one as well.  Amie hit for the minimal prize of $20, so they just threw that money back in.  All told, while I spent $20, I think Ed was in probably a couple hundred and I am not sure he ever hit for anything that day.  The next day I was working late and before I left I decided to buy another one.  Ed again offered to go halves, either we split the one I bought, or he bought one and we split both of them.  I tell him to get one and we will play two.  Mine loses, his hits for $20.  We decide to throw that back in, his next one hits for $50, so we have $25 a piece, a $5 gain if we quit, but we throw $40 back in and split the extra $10.  His loses, mine hits for $100, so now we have $55 each, a modest profit of $35 and I say I am done.  I made money I am happy, Ed keeps telling me he will buy more if I do, I am thinking I am content with my winnings, more for my Saturday breakfast fund.  And I have been trying to get Ed to go to breakfast with us Saturday morning, he seems interested, but then he is also not an early morning guy and we will be at DeLuca's at 7am, so I doubt he shows up.

And Ed is trying to get me some hockey tickets for next Sunday.  My cousin Scott is coming into town with his girlfriend and we are going to do the Pittsburgh thing Sunday, Primanti's and what not, and he is going to the game that day.  While I doubt any tickets I might get would be near them, it still would be cool to go to the same game.  I explained it to Ed and he placed some calls with vendors in hopes that he might find me a pair of tickets.  Given it is relatively late, less than two weeks before the game, he is making the effort anyway, for which I am greatly appreciative.

So things aren't that bad, save for I should probably be in bed right now, getting ready for a long day tomorrow.  A couple of things of note, new book to the right on Shelfari, it is the 700 page tome I was reading, I still have to add it to the neverending thread, and I did get credit for my most recent $5 gift card, so I have more than enough money saved up for my next book purchases from Amazon.  But for now I still have two more to read, so there is no rush in making my next purchase. 

Okay, I think that is more than enough for this, the 69th edition of Multiply 365.  Besides, the "Mirror, Mirror" South Park episode is on.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been