Monday, July 28, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 209 - What we've learned so far

     I am not sure why I picked today, unlike a few days ago there is no numerical significance to today, nor is there any underlying rhyme or reason to why I decided to take stock of how this little project of mine is doing at this point.  I guess curiosity just got the best of me and I decided to do a little digging to see what might come up with.

     On the plus side of things I have managed to post a blog every day, only missing a deadline once because I had fallen asleep before actually posting the entry, so it made the page 2 hours late.  Still I will take  a 209 for 209 batting average at this point.   And despite the blog being hit and miss as far as content goes, the traffic here has been remarkably consistent, usually about 20 page views a day.  Unlike when I first got reinvolved with blogging last year and the popularity of my posts spiked somewhat, now everything has just leveled off.  If I go by the all time traffic numbers that Google uses, only one post during the Blogger 365 project (my birthday) cracked the top ten posts all time in traffic, whereas when I first rededicated myself last October, 7 of my top ten were from that month.  The other two came from when the blog was on Multiply (2009 and 2011 respectively).   Now there are no spikes, just a steady stream of viewers (and bots), but steady is good.

     On the minus side is time, were there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day.  Since I got promoted back in June I have probably had less than 10 days off in total and that was with me taking off an entire weekend for a family reunion.  That Sunday was (July 13th) was my last day off, I have been in the office every day since then.  I don't say that to bitch about my job, I say that only because it is hard to consistently generate content when at least part of every day is spent some place else.  I am sure if there was quality control regarding this page, that would be an issue too.  Everything is still hit and miss where good writing (or what I would call good writing) is concerned.  Some days I read over what I wrote and I bore me, which is quite a talent.  It probably doesn't help when I go back and read good (or what I call good) posts that I created in the past because that does raise my own level of expectations somewhat, I know what I am capable of and often I don't hit that mark. 

     Anyway enough of the mental gymnastics from me for one evening, this entry is turning into what I would not call good writing so I am better off killing it before it grows like a weed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been