Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Blogger 365 Day 183 - Attention spans

   So I am finding one of my new work requirements, though technically I wasn't tasked with it, is now keeping track of employee hours and schedule requests.  This used to be a thing Ed did, but far too often he would rely on simple pieces of paper and his memory to get by.  That usually resulted in him forgetting things and then us scrambling to fix the schedule/payroll after the fact.  With the holiday on Friday, Ed was looking to get a jump on next weeks schedule, I had to remind him that next Friday he had three people requesting off, and that over the last two days two people have either left early and/or showed up late.  Ed relies on the honor system, that people will be honest when it comes to marking the schedule; I am not so foolish, I know that there is a subset of people that if they can get paid for not even being on the premises, they will go ahead and try to make that happen.   That might have worked a month ago, it doesn't work anymore.  Meet the new boss, not the same as the old boss.

     I am still managing to do Brian's job as well as my own in his absence,  so far no major screw ups, but I am finding there just isn't enough hours in the work day to manage it all and still get done what I want to do.  I haven't even approached Ed about the family reunion yet, I will wait till Thursday or Friday for that, though with three people requesting off next Friday and three next Saturday as well, me taking Saturday off is looking less likely to happen. 

      So this is what a promotion looks like?  I am almost ready to be demoted at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been