Saturday, April 2, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 91 - Quarter pole

     So here it is, roughly one fourth of the way through the year and of this project, provided I don't decide to keep it up after one year (enter my evil laugh here).  All in all I can't complain too much, some entries I felt were good, other sucked, but to only miss one day of blogging isn't too bad, 

     As for today's entry, once again I come to you live (if I were dead I wouldn't be blogging) from the laptop on my bed.  Not that there is anything wrong with my desktop computer, I am just tired and if I decide to take a nap I would rather do it here than sitting up. 

     I had to work today, but only for an hour or so, just long enough to put an order in for Monday.  Since my bus pass I found ran out on Thursday, I had a choice to make, either pay regular bus fare for Friday and Saturday or find another means of getting to work.  Friday I opted for the bus, $2.25 each way.  Not that that is an astronomical total in the grand scheme of things, but in the scheme of dropping that each and every day it adds up.  So today I thought I would be clever and ride my bike into work.  So there was me, on a chilly, dreary Saturday, pedaling along the Eliza Furnace Trail from Oakland into work downtown.  The trip is roughly 3 miles each way, the plus being that once you get to the trail it is relatively a flat ride, the only hill involved is Bates Street coming out of Oakland, which is downhill going to work, but uphill coming back.  The trip ending up taking about 20 minutes each way, and while I was familiar with the trail around Oakland, I wasn't as familiar with it when I got into town.  As it turns out the trail was a pleasant surprise, it literally comes out about a block from where I work, the last part is a shared sidewalk with pedestrians that ends right on Smithfield Street.

The bad part to the bike ride was that I hadn't been on my bike in a few years and a 6 mile ride is a nice kick in the ass for those who don't do it very often.  And I do have a secret to tell, when I got back to Oakland I actually pushed my bike up about two thirds of Bates Street.  Bates isn't the steepest hill in Pittsburgh, nor the longest, there are hills on the South Side that are definitely longer and steeper going up to Mount Washington, but since I am still an amateur it was steep enough that I hopped off for a couple of minutes.  But I found that I actually liked the ride, save for my ass being sore and me being out of shape.  I liked it so much that I am seriously considering riding my bike more often.    I rode most of the way in flipping between 6th and 8th gear, so I am thinking once I get good at this I might even be able to beat my bus downtown in the morning, after all I don't have other bus stops to worry about and if I can do it in 20 minutes on a first try, I bet I can do it even faster once I get used to it.  But then I might want to wait and see what my legs feel like tomorrow morning before I start going on Greg leMond on the page.  wait, he needed drugs to ride his bike, so maybe I am better than that already.

Other than that there really isn't much to report.  I cashed out for another Amazon gift card from swagbucks the other day, and about an hour later I received an email saying the previous one I ordered was ready to be redeemed, so I have added another $5 to my Amazon account.  I think I am going to need more money than that however, of the last three books I bought, I have read one, am halfway through the second and I know the third one, since it is a Robert Parker, will last maybe two days before I finish it.

Well I am going to wrap this up.  I have a bad habit when I am blogging of listening to my Pandora station, and anything that is good I post to my Facebook wall, so the longer I blog, the more I piss people off over on Facebook, unless Pandora starts playing shit, then it pisses me off.  Needless to say, someone will not be happy.  Besides, I still have three quarters of the year left to write other stuff.

1 comment:

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been