Monday, January 24, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 25 - Book em Dano

Whew, I'm back.  Not without issues.  The plan was I was going to sit down and watch "Chuck" then hop over to the computer and start today's blog entry.  Funny thing happened on the way to the Coliseum however.

I fired up Adaware, it seemed like a good way to pass the time while I watched an episode on Family Guy", but when I came back to the computer the internet connection was lost.  Modem resets did nothing, restarting the computer did nothing, even trying to repair the connection did nothing.  I finally managed to reestablish access after going in and doing a system restore.  With that out of the way I believe I can proceed.

I finally managed to get my books today, and part of me is tempted to just curl up in my recliner and start reading.  It has been far too long since I have been able to do so that I am longing for the opportunity.  It also means that I will finally be able to kick off this year's version of the Neverending Thread after waiting for far too long.  I had almost reached the point where I was going to go out and buy a book any old place just to satisfy my reading craving.  But thankfully my books did arrive after a mess of a delivery which I covered previously.  The only thing to add to that would be that after work today I had to make the trip to the Post Office to pick up my package to complete my less than stellar dealings with them.  

Back when I was but a pup a trip to the local Post Office just consisted of me going and opening my box (I had a PO box then) and taking the mail out.  If I needed anything I would just go to the window (there was never a line) and would be in and out in 5 minutes or less.  Sadly those were the good old days, now a trip to the Post Office consists of standing in line with people who come ill prepared and Postal employees who make McDonald's workers look highly motivated by comparison.  Customers who are there to pick up a package don't have their slip with them, nor do they know what type of package they are getting, employees then set about on a nature walk through the building trying to find said package.  It is just a clusterfuck and the less I go to the Post Office anymore the happier I am.

Okay, I should quit griping, I did get my books after all and after yesterday it is official, the Steelers will be playing in the Super Bowl in two weeks.  A  24-19 win over the N Y Jets put the Steelers in their 8th Super Bowl, where they have a 6-1 record in their previous 7 visits.  But the game actually started for me when Amy and I went to breakfast at DeLuca's.  We went later than normal, 8:30am, but the place still wasn't busy, we got a table right away.  We were there maybe 15 minutes when some people came in wearing Jets jerseys, and literally everyone in the place started booing them.  Not in a mean way, there were no insults flying around, just in a playful "hey, welcome to Pittsburgh but we like our team" way.  It was more funny than anything else.  

After breakfast I came home, did some stuff on the computer, including yesterday's entry, and then set about to watch the football games.  Because I do not have cable, I ended up finding a feed on the web for both football games, a Channel 10 in some part of Sweden.  They carried the US feeds of the games, but the commercials breaks were all Swedish commercials, which were actually more entertaining than the ones that are usually on American channels.  After ffirst watching the Packers, then the Steelers win to set up the matchup for the Super Bowl, I hopped over to C Span, where they had an interview with Christopher Hitchens on their Q and A show.  It was the first interview I have seen with him since he has started cancer treatments.  He looked about as well as can be expected for having cancer of the esophagus that has mastisized.  A little thinner than I remembered but still plenty of the sharp Hitchen's commentary I have come to enjoy.  By the time it was all said and done I had watched 7 hours or so of TV on my computer.  And people wonder why I don't pay for cable.  

Well I better wrap this up.  I have some books to get to after all.

4 comments:

  1. yeah - the internet is where I am going to get my shows and books - my wife wants to keep the cable TV but I have no problem with that - exploring the cnet stuff but sending time with a book in bed

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reading times are usually before bed and on the bus to and from work. If I find a book particularly interesting I will take it on one of my breakfasts and just sit and read while I enjoy my morning coffee.

    As for programming on the web, I usually get sports from either channelsurfing.net or atdhe.net, with an occasional hockey game on Yahoo sprinkled in. Regular TV, or cable I can get from either the networks websites, hulu.com or surfthechannel.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, though unless they changed it channelsurfing.com only works with the Firefox browser and some of the links can be problematic, either Chinese servers or places like Megavideo (which time limits what you can watch) are not uncommon there, but it is still free and I am all kind cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been