Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 18 - Special Ed

I promise I will write more today than yesterday.  Not that it would be much of a stretch, I could probably stop after this sentence and achieve that goal.  But I will soldier on, it is either that or continue singing while I eat my dinner.

I have this bad habit when it comes to food, I make songs from it.  It was a habit born long ago, probably back in the days when I ran the dinner shift at The Attic, where around closing time for the kitchen I would start singing "Since I Don't Have You".  Of course I would replace the lyrics a little bit

Now I don't have chicken wings
And I don't have onion rings
Since I don't have food

That bad habit has continued since my Attic days, usually either in my kitchen, or when I am stocking the shelves at work.  Sonny and Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" is always good, and as a plus you can use it for either mac and cheese or pork and beans

Cheese, cheese, mac and cheese (or beans, beans, pork and beans)
You hear the people of the town, they call for

Tonight saw me cooking in my own kitchens, singing "chili mac, when are you coming back?  Oh chili, oh chili...

Okay, enough with my bad habits that entertain no one but me.  There are other things to get to, starting with Ed.

For those not in the loop, and I'd like to believe there are new people stopping here all the time  (it's my own delusion and I plan to keep it)  where I work has a unique management structure in that we have an owner, Brian, who bought the business off of his father Ed.  Even though Ed is no longer owner, or even on the payroll for that matter, when he is there during the summer months he is the de facto guy in charge, even if Brian is around.  But Ed always winters in Florida, so during this time of year Brian goes back to assuming the mantle of the guy in charge.  But just because Ed is away doesn't mean Ed is away.  It is not uncommon for him to call the store three or four times a day from Florida.  Or we could have what happened yesterday.

I am sitting in the office breaking down an invoice from 7 Up and going over a grocery invoice as well, since we had two deliveries arrive yesterday.  Sammy comes into the office and says there is a delivery for us, some licorice had come in.  Since the grocery order was already put away, I knew it wasn't something I ordered or something that was on our invoice.  All Sammy had was a packing slip from the order, not even an invoice since apparently the order was paid for in advance.  Since I knew nothing about this order I asked Brian about it and he is all excited because this order that Ed placed is finally here and it's the best licorice ever and we have to have it.  Fine, whatever, let's just get this candy in and put it away then, at least somebody knows about it.

Sammy tells me he is going to drop the order down the chute.  Because we have a two floor business, the sales floor is upstairs, the stock room and office are in the basement, there is a chute from the sidewalk down to the basement.  Thing is,  we usually just bring groceries to be put away right onto the sales floor and then, when we have put everything away we will take any left over stuff to the basement, so the idea of using the chute for candy struck me as odd.  Until I saw the order.  Ed, while sitting in Florida, took it upon himself to order over $1000 of licorice.  We literally got 12 different displays of it.  Not small displays either, but large enough that it was literally an entire palette on the truck.  Each display has 75 bags of licorice, so doing the math I now have to sell 900 bags of licorice at $2.19 a bag for us to hit our standard markup.  Don't be surprised if come December I am still blogging about licorice that we haven't sold yet.  

Speaking of things I may end up blogging about, I should warn you ahead of time that I may (or may not) end up doing more blogging about Swagbucks in the future.  Not that I am trying to convince you to join, but I did sign up on their page because they were looking for people who blog.  I have to imagine that after a small sampling of my page I will scare them off, using words like asshat aren't all that family friendly, but I threw my hat in the ring nonetheless.  If I am somehow picked then it will be more Swagbucks for me in the future, but it will also mean more Swagbucks related info on the page for you.  

I am listening to Pandora as I blog and tonight it is kinda sucky.  It is almost just alternating songs between The Cure and The Smiths.  Mind you I like both groups but damn, show some variety will you.  I think I got one Pixies song that I was happy to hear but much of the rest of it is just Cure/Smith/Cure/Smiths.  

Hopefully I fixed the problem a little bit, I gave them some new bands to pick from.  It got me Modest Mouse followed by U2 so we are making progress.  Good thing to, I have already run out of skips.  That is probably what I miss about Lauchcast the most, since I got a premium account for being a Verizon DSL customer I could skip as many crappy songs as I wanted to.  Now I am limited in my number of skips and after that I am forced to use the mute option until the song ends, then it automatically pauses at the end of the song.   

My books still haven't arrived.  Amazingly according to the tracking information they arrived in Pittsburgh this morning and were out for delivery at 9am.  Yet they aren't here some 13 hours later.  I think we can assume they will not be arriving today.  On the plus side, at least Prestige is not the carrier this time.  I would pretty much expect to not receive them at all if that were the case.  And really, the expected delivery date when I placed the order was the 20th, so I may end up getting them a day early.  I should stop complaining, but I am just psyched about the possibility of having a book to read again.

The tweakage worked.  I got an Interpol song followed by MGMT.  I could almost get my freak on to "Electric Feel".  

Well I should probably do a quick spell check and post this thing.  I just looked at the time and realized that I missed another fine episode of "Cheaters"  where Joey Greco and the gang climb into the Mystery Machine to confront the dastardly two timer who would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been