Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 24 - Building blocks

Sorry for the delay, I went to open OpenOffice so I could start typing and got an error. That's what I get for updating I guess. I ended up reinstalling the program and all seems to be good now. Far better for me to tinker on the home computer than the one at work, though they want me to do that as well.


As I mentioned before, the store asked me to get a new laptop for one of our locations, the one they had was on its last legs. Someone may have been able to perform a magic trick or two and get a little more time out of it, but if they could it was well beyond my skill set. Instead they had me fetch a new one, and it arrived and I got all of the basics squared away, internet access up and running, all of the programs open and installed (Open Office, Adaware, etc.)and all was about as good as I could get it. That isn't all that needs done however, there is still the matter of installing the store's inventory software. I have no idea where that is even located or if they had another outfit come in with their own stuff and install it without leaving a backup copy, so for now the laptop is a glorified paperweight. John, one of my bosses, was on the phone today seeing about what it would take to get the laptop up and running the store's program and the person he was talking to suggested going into the network, finding the program on one of the other computers in the network and then downloading and installing it from there to the laptop. John looked at me and I just said, “sorry, that's above my pay grade”. In theory I might be able to do it, but I don't want the responsibility if it goes all wrong, and give my limited experience with computers (and even less with networks) I would say its a coin flip whether I get it right or not, and with those odds I would rather leave it to the professionals.


Not that I don't have enough on my plate already, I am in the process of redesigning an entire store section. That is something that when I started blogging many years ago I never figured I would have to write. But after doing ordering for better than a year and gettinbg a bead on things I think will sell (versus those that don't, which is just wasted square footage) this may be my most ambitious undertaking because I am assuming what I am about to do will a) look respectable and b) be profitable. Believe it or not, while I have almost a blank check when it comes to ordering, I am still mindful that the money I am spending is not my own and ideally if I am spending it I am hoping that more money comes back in than goes out. After all, as I like to joke, I make 7 figures a year if you include the decimal point.


Not that there is a ton of risk in what I am doing, I am just basically buiding a new beverage section to carry some items we don't have, 12 packs of cans, 6 packs of bottles etc. and the product is guaranteed, if it deosn't sell we can get credit for it, but this is still my first real stamp in the store, a section that at the end of the dfay I can say, yeah I did that, and therefore I would like it if it wasn't an abject failure.


I did start the first of my books today. I haven't gotten that far into it yet, but so far it isn't bad. I am thinking I might try getting a little more reading in before bed tonight. It is an okay book so far, not a “can't put it down” book, but enjoyable when I have a few extra moments to read. Perhaps that is what I will do once I finish this and finish watching the State of the Union address. Yeah I am watching which another fine reason why I sit at home alone pretty much every night. There just aren't many women who are all gung ho about having a night in and watching the President on TV. Tust me, even if you throw in free pizza, there are rarely any takers on that offer. So I guess that means more food for me.


Speaking of more food, time for me to cram something into my face. Hopefully my mouth will be open for the occasion.

1 comment:

  1. LOL -
    The big guy is icing down beer for the pool/barbecue party - LOL
    maybe I should work on my tan


    CheersGOODSTUFF

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been