Sunday, January 16, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 16 - Nothing

This has been a particularly lazy day on my part.  I did a couple of things, or at least tried to, but for the most part I just laid around in shorts and slept off and on.  It was much needed.  Of course now I am stuck watching The Golden Globes, another one of those Hollywood pats itself on the back extravaganzas.  Where are the award shows for the rest of us, really?  Where are the awards shows for the rest of us?  When to we get such categories as "Best Customer Service"?  The nominees are Suzy, waitress at Chilis, Joe, cashier at Foodland, Jason, greeter at WalMart.  And the winner is....?  Where is that show?

Anyway, I did hop online to watch football again today.  Not that I had a huge interest in it, but when the other option is figure skating, well that isn't all that much of an option.  It turns out that the New York Jets beat the New England Patriots, so next week's AFC Championship game will be held right here in Pittsburgh.  This town that is already football crazy is about to get moreso.  When I checked online yesterday to see what prices would be for Steeler tickets in Pittsburgh, before it was even determined that the game would be played here (had New England won today, the game would have been in New England), tickets were already running from a low of $199 to a high of $2000.  Since it was determined the game would be played here a few hours ago, now the cheapest ticket has went up to $235, which will almost assuredly increase as the week goes on.

Tomorrow will probably be the last day that we are slow at work for a while.  The Art Institute started classes last week and this week Point Park University is back in session.  Time to once again make the donuts as it were.  

Tomorrow is also Martin Luther King day, Now let me first say that I have no problem with Martin Luther King, or any other particular holiday for that matter, save for the fact that nobody works.  Here is a man who worked hard for civil rights so that everyone might have an equal opportunity and how is it recognized?  By people sitting on their asses like a bunch of welfare recipients.  The logic just confounds me.  

I tried going to bed at a decent time last night and it was a miserable failure.  I finally closed my eyes somewhere around 5:30am.  Needless to say I have already taken two naps today, which I am sure will not help me get to sleep any earlier this evening.  

This is one of those days where I wish my books would have arrived, I could have gotten lots of reading in this afternoon instead of just lying around in a vegetative state.  At least I wasn't foolish enough to drink another entire pot of coffee today, so there is still a chance that I might get some sleep before work.

The thing is, usually when I go to bed I will pop on the radio and listen to some sports talk.  A local AM station, 970, was a Fox Sports Radio affiliate, so I would go to bed listening to the likes of JT the Brick, Tony Bruno, and Ben Maller.  Pittsburgh had three sports talk stations, two AM and one FM, but the other AM was an ESPN Radio affiliate and I pretty much can't stand their overnight show.  It is the epitome of bland, boring radio.  The FM station is actually a local station, and at first I listened to them before bed, but then they went and ended their overnight show in a cost cutting move, opting instead to run a "Best of..." show overnights.  I am not one for taped radio, so I was stuck with 970.  Then the station offering ESPN programming flipped to Radio Disney, and 970 picked up some of the ESPN shows.  I was worried that as a result the shows I liked might be gone.  Instead it has been worse, far worse.  Usually they are staying with the Fox Sports programming overnights, but on more than one occasion they have been actually running both networks at the same time.  If you ever want to have a headache, try listening to a station running two shows at once.  The fact that no one at the station has caught this (it went on for at least 3 hours last night and this is not the first time it has happened) is what happens when everything, including running the board is done by computer rather than manually.  In order to save a few pennies by paying someone minimum wage to sit there and listen to the station all night, they instead have opted to not care one way or the other.  If they don't care, they why may I ask should the listener?  

Well it looks like the Golden Globes are about to wrap up, they are on the final award of the evening, at least until they decide to get together for another pat on the back show.  And the award for Best Picture goes to The Social Network, which means for the first time in forever it is a movie I actually saw.  Usually it is some movie that comes out two weeks before the show so the only people that actually have seen it are critics and that has almost no broad appeal, much like my blog.  

Oh well, bed time for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been