Monday, August 6, 2012

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

If you are like me, you have probably gotten the message in your inbox (or soon will) that Multiply will be locking the doors on the social networking aspect of this page come Dec 1st.  It doesn't come as ,much of a shock at this point, it seemed like the next step when they had announced that Multiply would be focusing on the commerce end of things.  I will say that if the announcement today is to be believed in total, then knowing we may be given tools or means to take our content down and relocate it elsewhere is about as nice of a step as a company could take while at the same time eliminating and entire facet of their online enterprise.  We will see how that all plays out though.

If you had asked me a couple of years how I would feel about the possibility of Multiply shutting down (as least for what I use it for), I probably would have been pretty distraught about the whole thing.  But now?  Honestly, not sure I care all that much.  I think I am getting as much aggravation out of being here as I am enjoyment, so perhaps a change of venue is exactly what is needed and called for at this point. 

As of this typing, I do not know where I will end up next.  I have dabbled a bit and may have a new home already picked out, but until I am certain that is where I will be, I am not extending invitations to join me there.  Nor will that information be made public here, those that I want to know will know, those that I don't will not.  Simple as that really.

So as the end times for this page approach, they come as both a bit of sadness, but a bit of relief as well.  Sadness for the amount of time and effort that was put into the page only to see it go by the wayside, and because no matter where I end up, I know not everyone I have met here and would like to stay in touch with will be joining me elsewhere.  But relief also because honestly I think I have lost my voice here, and perhaps a new place will be just what I need to once again shout from the mountaintops into the digital void.

8 comments:

  1. It is sad that for many of us this is the 2nd site to close down and we have to pack and leave. This sucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking that I have out grown sites like multiply and weebly -- wordpress is looking like my new blogging adventure

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the second site for me as well, I was on 360 also. If they handle things they way they claim they will then it is about as smooth a transition as one could hope for, unlike 360 which they left fall into disrepair. Only Multiply offering the import option helped most of us.

    I think I will end up on Wordpress or Blogger myself, Blogger just because I already have some stuff set up over there, but I haven't decided yet. I might just take time off and not do anything at all too. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I saw a comment elsewhere about Multiply closing down but wasn't convinced that it was authentic. If you've got a message - and I've not, but that may change - then I guess maybe it is true after all. Still it is a little strange that Googling for information on the closure doesn't turn up anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It showed up originally when I went to my inbox, but it can also now be found in the Multiply staff blog
    http://multiply.multiply.com/notes/item/5

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I saw that link somewhere else. I don't think I'll miss Multiply, I've kinda 'fallen outta the loop' with it. It was fun, but I suspect I missed the boat a little, certainly that I missed the 'creative period' of some of the other people round here, notably Angie's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, it seems that some people have fallen out of the loop. For me it was just the fact that for the last year and change I have dealt with more liars and scam artists on here than I would ever care to. It isn't that I have lost a desire to write, but I have lost the desire to write here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well if you do decide on a new home do let me know, you do write really well. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be similarly inspired. As for the liars and scam artists, yeah, that denuded my enthusiasm somewhat.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been