Monday, August 6, 2012

Hi honey, I'm home

I guess I am what you would call a refugee, or worse, someone who is cursed.  So beware all ye people of Blogger, now that I am here bad things will most assuredly happen. 

The things is I have been doing this blogging thing for quite a few years now, dare I say maybe even a decade.  And this is now my third home, having first been an occupant of a little place called Y360.  Some of you may have had the same misfortune as I on that site, Yahoo basically let the entire place fall apart, because they wanted to focus on a new social networking platform called Mash.  Never heard of it?  That is because it lasted about as long as Michelle Bachmann's Presidential campaign.  Lots of noise, little in the way of substance and in a mere few short months it was exactly what we thought it would be, sound and fury signifying nothing.  As was the case with Yahoo and Mash, it was going to be oh so cool, like Facebook and Myspace (Myspace was still something back in those days) but better because your friends could come and "mash up" you page.  Yeah, that's not a selling point.  If it were, well then I might not be here.  In the meantime Y360 was left to crumble until Yahoo pulled the plug on it. 

So I went looking for a new place to blog, and after some looking around I found myself on a place called Multiply.  A nice place and very easy to use for those like myself who are not particularly tech savvy.  Posting and commenting was easy, plus they provided an easy import feature for all of the people escaping Y360 to bring their content over. 

And Multiply was good for quite a while, it is still good actually.  If left to my own devices I would probably still be there, but the company moved it's headquarters from Florida to Indonesia and began focusing their attentions not on bloggers and social content but in ecommerce, especially in Southeast Asia.  I have nothing against Southeast Asia, but the closest I get to it is when I stop at Hong Kong Express after work and order combo lo mien.  And now the word it that the social networking aspect of it will be gone on Dec 1st, and it will strictly be an ecommerce site, which is why I am here.

This page may end up being nothing, after two forays into blogging only to get shot down two times I might just say fuck it and forget about blogging altogether.  Or I may play with the bells and whistles here and see if I like it, and start to pull my old content over to this site, while at the same time adding new stuff as well.  I really haven't decided yet.  Part of that may be dependent upon how easy/hard it is to save (and republish) my old work, or I may just be content to start from scratch.  I don't know.  All I know is that for now I am here, which for the rest of you may mean that the end times for Blogger may soon be at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been