Friday, January 11, 2008

It's not new car smell, it's new Asshat smell

An evening of entertainment, to not be sure, I am sitting around ye olde apartment in proper blogging attire, which is a T-shirt and boxers, wonder what all I can say. There is certainly plenty of things to cover, some things that I have to get to from the past, others that are taking place even as I type. Let's start with my TV being messed with. Mind you, I am not much of a TV fan, but I usually find that when they tinker with a show, it usually isn't for the better. That is the case this evening, as I turned on 1 VS 100. Mind you, the premise is simple, it is a trivia type game where the contestant competes against a panel of 100 people, the goal being to continue to get questions correct, while members of the panel get them wrong. If at the end, you have knocked out all 100 people, you win $1million dollars. But like I said, the show has been tinkered with since last season. Last year, you got money for each person you knocked out, this year you have to knock out groups of 10 in order to reach specific dollar amounts. It is a minor change, but one that wasn't needed, and for me it did add a little more drama, knowing that every question could result in additional money for the contestant, as opposed to now, where you could in theory knock out 9 people with a question and receive no financial benefit for it. It is just stupid tinkering with a game that didn't need to happen.

Thankfully there is hockey on Yahoo this evening, so as I type this, I also have a computer window open on the St Louis Blues/Columbus Blue Jackets game as well, giving me a little bit of a distraction from time to time, but one I think I can work with.

Speaking of hockey, the fantasy team is still in 6th place after last week, I am now up 7 points on 7th place, so I have a small cushion, nothing to be comfortable about, but at least it is some space. I went 6-4-0 last week, so the overall record has again creeped over .500 to 61-60-19.

A last recap on the fantasy football season and then it is a wrap. I mentioned that I didn't know if I won anything in the office pool at work. The thing is, we own about 25 radio stations in three different states, so the contest which is open to everyone in the company tends to get quite a few entrants, enough so that we fill up one Yahoo group (max 50 members) and end up starting a second. The office prizes though, are viewed as a combination of both groups, so just because you finish in the top three in your group doesn't mean that you finish in the top three overall. I had finished tied for third in my group, but it turns out it wasn't third overall, so I didn't win anything from work, but because I finished third in my group, Yahoo did add a third place trophy to my fantasy sports profile, making that the 7th trophy I have won to date.

Asshats from last week, we have a few, and they include just about each and every polling institution out there that incorrectly predicted that Barack Obama would win the NH primary on Tuesday, only to see Hillary Clinton end up winning said primary. It was even more embarrasssing the following day to watch the networks scramble to try to cover their asses for being so wrong. While this could be an Asshat for next week, after all the Asshat crown is from the previous week and the voting in NH took place just on Tuesday, since the incorrect polls were issued last week, the integrity of the rules regarding the Asshat crown remain in place.

Just 2 cents get added to the change meter, so the new total is $33.71. I have been doing very poorly in the finding cash thing recently, maybe if I went out more I would find more cash, but there is something comforting about just hiding in my apartment, being the old geezer of the college section of town. I haven't quite reached the point where I live with a bunch of cats and just scream "Get off my lawn" out the window at the young whippersnappers, but that may simply be because I don't have a lawn to get off of.

I have snagged four of the five Pogo badges this week for the marathon, I only have one of my personal challenges to go. I did the two that Pogo offered, Qwerty and Sweet Tooth, the Qwerty badge was really easy for me, as was the Sweet Tooth, though it was at least somewhat time consuming. For my personals I opted for Panda Pai Gow Poker (climb the pyramid 7 times), Canasta (get 50 red 3s) and High Stakes Pool (win 10 games of cutthroat). All I have left is to win another 7 games of pool by Wednesday, I think I can manage that. I also got the game award badge for reaching level 20 in First Class Solitaire, so I could be snagging 6 badges this week, go me and all that.

Well, that is a wrap I think. I am sure I missed some stuff, other things that I have remembered are being saved for another blog entry, though there is a clue to in in my guest list. Be sure to tip you waiter before leaving.

4 comments:

  1. Finished my pogo challenges finally, although I had constant problems with qwerty, the game kept freezing on me.

    We have a version of that 1 v 100 show here, haven't heard any whispers that they are looking to change the format here though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early in the week, I want to say maybe Wednesday I was getting kicked out of rooms, something aboiut not connecting to the server and then the game would close.

    The tweakage to the show is minor, but I just think you should be rewarded for every person that is knocked off of the panel, rather than needing 10 people to be knocked off of the panel for that to happen. I am sorry, but a lot of the questions just aren't that hard and save for the idiots out there, get rid of very few people. I was thinking as I typed that about chnages to game shows and the only one I can think of off of the top of my head that worked was Wheel of Fortune, where way back in the day (that show has been on forever now) you didn't win money, but you had to go shopping with the winnings and buy stupid things from their stage of prizes, and everyone always got stuck at the end of their shopping spree with that damn ceramic dalmation because you had to spend money until you couldn't afford anything else, then the rest was put on a gift certificate. Playing for cash is just a much cooler option, though I am sure the animal shelters are now full of ceramic dalmations that are looking for homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd adopt a ceramic version lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still doing my challenges lol, am about to knowck the only tooth Sweet has go out, probably wont finish them this week, as Im falling asleep most of the time lol

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been