Monday, January 7, 2008

BFT Version 1.0 - Bum Fucked

This will start with an admission and a geography lesson. The admission is relatively simple, I understand that there are people in the world worse off than me. Plenty of regions on this planet suffer without enough food or clean drinking water, other people are in places where those things that we take for granted are to them, quite difficult. A trip to the market is of relative inconsequence to us, to them it is a matter of taking ones life into their own hands. Still others have befallen a tragedy of some sort, a loss of a home to a fire, a natural disaster that turns their world upside down or any of a number of unwritten potential tragedies that could fill up this page.

Second things being second, a geography lesson. I mention quite frequently that I have two jobs, a full time job that I enjoy in radio, and a part time job, that while not offering career fulfillment (how much fulfillment can you get out of dishwashing after all?) serves its purpose of adding to my menial income as well as working around my full time schedule in such a manner that they do not conflict, and it is relatively close to my apartment, being between 4-5 blocks away. I can usually walk to work in about ten minutes.

It isn't the walking to work that is the problem however, it is the walking home. When I leave work, I have the option of cutting down a bunch of side streets, or walking the main drag, Forbes Avenue, and making the appropriate turns. Usually I will opt for the latter option, it is more well lit, as well as taking me by some places that are still open, even at that late of an hour. One never knows when a craving for late night McDonald's may happen, or a need to stop by Rite Aid or CVS, both of which are of the 24 hour variety. The thing is, on the way home I am consistently accosted by the same sing song mantra of "you got any change?" Literally, on a ten minute walk, I can be asked that question 3 to 4 times nightly, often by the same people that had asked me previously.

Unlike the people that I listed at the beginning of this rant, these people are nothing but bums and I have no sympathy for them. Yes, I am speaking to you with the change cup. When your shoes are nicer than mine, when your clothes are newer than mine, when the only time you have word one to say to me is when you are begging for something, the chance of me honoring your request is slim and none and slim just left town. If someone at work were to ask me for a couple of bucks for bus fare to get home, I would have no problem giving it to them, chances are I wouldn't even ask for it back. What's the difference? It is simple, they have a job and are making an effort. Nothing is more annoying than someone standing outside of a business that is taking applications and asking me for money. Did you bother to go in and fill one out? Did it occur to you that the potential for money is merely feet away, but it requires you to do something besides stand there and beg? I will admit, some of the places don't pay the greatest of wages. It is not about how much you make to me, it is about trying. The notion that there are no jobs just isn't true.

Over the holiday I, like many people, spent time taking in the the sport of consumerism, and a funny thing happened while out spending cash, most of the stores I visited had Help Wanted signs in the window. On that same walk home from work, I pass 4 businesses, including the one I work at that are also seeking potential employees with signs in their window and I know of at least another two that are constantly hiring, even though they have no such sign. When I have sought secondary employment, it hasn't been a matter of finding something, but rather picking between potential jobs. When I took my dishwashing gig, I had another job offer on the table, and could have had an interview for a third. The time before this, I again had my choice of jobs, so lets be honest, don't cry to me there isn't work, there just isn't work that you want to do. And while we are on this honesty kick, I can in all honesty say that in will be a cold day in hell before you ever get a single penny from me.

3 comments:

  1. I must admit I am somewhat of a soft touch when I am on my own. I'll usually toss them a couple of bucks or a cigarette (if that is what they are bludging). I have on occasion gone into a store and purchased them a cup of coffee instead of giving them coin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some show on tv that profiled those people that stand on corners of busy intersections or near interstate ramps with those signs "hungry kids / will work for food".

    What ends up happening most of the time is that people just give them money. Those people make TONS of money. They had one person standing there and at the end of the day he had like 200$ TAX FREE income.

    I have been known to give them directions to the soup kitchen, and also gotten them into the shelter where i worked. I do not give them cash. There are a few men in the city of Benton Harbor that are disabled vets that "prefer" to live the homeless life (as opposed to the shelters they've been in, and the housing system that I personally tried to help them get into when i worked at the agency) and when i see them, I WILL give them some cash, once I even ran to the grocery store and got Mr. Elliott some food.....those are not the "beggers" that i hate. They just arent mentally right, and want to live "off the grid".

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are two people that if I see them and I have the available cash I will consider giving them money, one man who only has one leg and another guy by the name of Bill, who is blind, yet instead of asking people for money (he has never asked me for anything) will sit there on a milk crate with a radio and just sing and he has such an incredible voice that to me he is actually doing something, he has a gift and is sharing it. But the guy standing outside of Rite Aid when there is a sign in the window and applications between the double doors and he is just too lazy to pick one up and fill it out, screw him.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been