Monday, January 14, 2008

Asshat - We have a winner!!!!!

The problem with teasing a blog entry is eventually you have to write said entry. I should really stop that, as it just makes more things for me to do. Luckily that which I teased I was going to write about anyway, so no harm no foul I guess, but I should put that in the back of the cranium, do not tease future blog entries. After all, what happens if I keel over someday and don't get to actually write the upcoming blog that I have teased. Literally dozens of people will be disappointed, and we can't be having that, now can we?

Thankfully, for the time being I am still breathing, so we will set about fixing the problem my typing fingers have created.

But first, I need to start making some food, so into the oven go a couple of baked potatoes. One of the advantages of getting two 5lb bags of potatoes for Christmas (part of the grocery trip, though I only wanted one bag, my mom was stuffing the shopping cart again) is I have plenty of potatoes to experiment on and find which method of baking I like best. To you, this would be just annoying, to me this is just fascinating stuff. I think I have perfected my baking recipe, in the oven @ 450 degrees for 70 minutes, no foil on the potatoes. They come out just wonderful that way, the skins are all crunchy without messing with the fine potato interior.

While I am on the subject of the grocery store run over Christmas, I went about looking at all of the food I had gotten again this weekend. I told my mom when we went shopping that this would last me for a couple of months easy (hell 10 lbs of potatoes could last me till June, if I thought they would keep that long, instead I am doing the inverted Irish Potato Famine here, I think I will call it the Pittsburgh Potato Feast) just because at least two nights a week, I eat at the part time job, breakfast usually consists of coffee at the radio station and during lunch I am usually napping. So basically, I am looking at coming up with just a few meals a week for myself, and since I am cooking for one, I am not all that picky about it.

Anyway, as I described in the list, my mom was just throwing stuff in the cart all willy nilly, while I was being the fiscally prudent one. When we went to check out that day, the bill was about $130. That seemed a little high, but my mom was also getting stuff for herself and we had bought flowers for my grandmother while we were there, so while pricey, it didn't seem too out of the norm. Saturday I am rooting through my freezer for the chicken breasts I had picked out, as I like to make fried chicken sandwiches with them and add some hot garlic sauce I have in my fridge when what to my wandering eyes did appear but meat my mom had purchased. I knew she had grabbed pork chops, I am cool with that, I will eat them eventually, and I had pulled some ground beef so I could make chili at some point (I love cooking in the crock pot, and what better thing to make than a nice spicy vat of chili) but there was another thing in the freezer as well, that I know I didn't pick out. So I grab said package and it is two Delmonico steaks for almost $12. Don't get me wrong I love steak, but this is the difference between being a bachelor and cooking to impress, I would have taken any old cheap steak (as opposed to someone who dates me, as I am just any old cheapskate), I certainly wouldn't have spent $12 on two pieces of meat. I am afraid to go through my cupboards now to find what else she may have thrown in there that was just overly expensive.

This past weekend was what I referred to as Radio Orthodox Christmas at work. I say this, because unlike most places that have their Christmas party prior to the holiday, we opted to have it in on a Saturday night in January, this past Saturday to be exact. I would like to say that I have all kids of pictures and stories to report, but to be honest I have nothing, simply because I didn't go. The thing is, if the party is relatively close or at a place where I may have a good time, I will consider going, but this year they opted for a restaurant in Monroeville, where there would be nothing to do save for eat and drink. In the past we have had it at places like Dave and Busters (which has lots to do) or Asiago (which is relatively close being downtown, and downtown is a good jumping off point to party in the Strip District or Station Square afterwards) but Monroeville is just blah. It is about an hour ride on a city bus from my place, there is nothing to do besides drink at the open bar and I have to get dressed up for it on a day where I don't have to get dressed at all if I don't want to (I know, the thought of that has scarred your mind, oh well, the price of admission I guess). Anyway, if I worked with people that I hung out with outside of the office, even that might have been a drawing card, but simply put, I don't. My coworkers are okay, some I like more than others, but I don't hang out with any of them outside of the office, I tend to keep the work and the social life as separate as possible so there was no real urging for me to give up my seat in my apartment to go trudging out to Monroeville on a Saturday night.

Okay, I mentioned in the reset (two steps forward, one blog back) that I will post some Joe Random updates from time to time, Joe is the create a character option in MLB 2K6 The Show, where you create someone and they start in the minor leagues and the goal is to get your player to the major leagues, or as it is called, The Show. Joe is a first baseman for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, I chose Tampa Bay because I would assume they suck enough that I could make it to The Show quicker than if I picked someone like the Yankees. It turns out that I made the major leagues each of my first three seasons, only to get sent back to the minors, just basically getting some token at bats here and there. Finally in my 4th year, I seem to be sticking with the major league club, though I am a bench player, so I don't get to play every game (I use the simulate to next appearance option as opposed to playing each and every game). Still, this year I have gotten more at bats than the previous three years combined, this despite the season only being 38 games old (there are 162 games in a season). My major league career to this point (this is the update part) now consists of 40 games, and in those games I am hitting .396 with 10 doubles, 1 triple, 3 homeruns, 12 runs scored and 16 RBIs.

While we are doing updates, the hockey team went 6-4-0 last week, so the overall record sits at 67-63-20 and I remain in 6th place, though I extended the lead over 7th place (and the difference between making and missing the playoffs) to 13pts.

Lastly, the Asshat has once again come due, and we do have a winner, Kelly Tilgham.

This is someone, that prior to the last 7 days, I will admit, I hadn't heard of, and most likely, you haven't either. Kelly is one of the anchors for the Golf Channel, which means the chance of me watching it is somewhere around zero on a good day. But it was something that she said on the air that makes her this weeks Asshat. While finishing up coverage of the second round of the Mercedez-Benz Championship (and how sad is your life if you are watching the second round of a non major golf tournament on TV, but I digress), she and broadcasting partner Nick Faldo were talking about what it would take for young golfers to beat Tiger Woods. Kelly offered a bright idea, they could "lynch him in a back alley." While I am sure that this statement was meant in some form of jest, the fact that between 1882 and 1968 nearly 5000 blacks were lynched, it just ain't all that funny, in fact it is quite stupid and someone sitting in front of a television camera commentating on a live television broadcast should know better. Her comment earned her a two week suspension from the Golf Channel and as an added bonus, this weeks coveted Asshat crown (it must be coveted, otherwise people would stop winning it after all).

Okay, enough for now, and since I just reread what I wrote, no teasers will follow. Goodnight all!

4 comments:

  1. a deserving asshat this week.

    I have an inkling of where your new page title comes from, but I think I will just send you a PM to see if I am right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that anyone noticed is amazing, after all it IS the golf channel. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I laughed, cause I found it funny. I'm not racist by far, or at least myself and no one I know personally thinks I am, but sometimes I wonder jus how uptight we, as a nation, are over things that have happened in our pasts. I dont condone slavery or racism by any means, I strongly believe they are wrong in every sense of the word, but how do we move forward as a whole if we cant let go of the past? If we crucify every single person who uses a word or a phrase in bad taste. What would the outcome have been had she been black and said the exact same thing? We work so hard at ending racism and hate but we work jus as hard at keeping it alive, so the end result is that it will forever be a living thing, because we as a whole put so much emphasis on it. Was it right, what she said? Who knows. Did she have malice behind her words? Probably not. Was it in bad taste? Yeah prolly so. Will she be branded a racist for the rest of her tv career life? Chances are she will be. The fact is she's prolly no more racist then the next person, but her lack of thought is seeing her punished for "freedom of speech"

    Anyway never meant to go on and on sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said in the entry, I imagine that the statement was made in jest, heck Tiger Woods blew the whole thing off, that being said there is a history of lynching black people in this country, so it certainly was a poor choice of words, and a professional broadcaster should know better. Certainly she has freedom of speech, but people have to some day realize that just because you can say something doesn't meant you should, and that actions come with consequences, in this case a two week suspension.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been