Sunday, January 6, 2008

If they intended this, it is genius

Was tinkering on the web at work today and found this little gem.  I had heard the song before, I think it kicks ass, but I may be in a group of one there, I don't know.  The video is either really bad or really good.  If they were going for the old style video in all of it's campiness, then this works with the exaggerated instrument playing, the band out of focus at times and even the twirling of the guitar late in the video.  If this was to be taken seriously, then I am less impressed.  In either event, like I said, the band rocks, which means it will be another 5-10 years before they play in Pittsburgh.  In any event, it has been a while since I have treated the blogging audience to something of the music video variety, save for squirrel songs, but that doesn't count.  Anyway, here's City Sleeps and the song "Prototype" (why did I feel like I was hosting bandstand when I typed that?)

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. You know I want to see Lee do that guitar trick while playing Guitar Hero. The song itself I have known about for a while almost a year in fact, but the album to my knowledge was only released in October. I didn't even know they had a video until I was at work listening to my Lauchcast station and the song came up and on a whim I went searching for it on Youtube, otherwise I would still be clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMFAO......Steve Vai first did that trick during ther film clip for David Lee Roth's Yankee Rose video clip. And YES I have already been working on it. Steve Vai is one of MY Guitar Hero's lol.
    Btw I don' actually think much of the song, I think they are trying too hard. I couldn't enjoy the lyrics, it all sounded forced to me. Like they are in it for the money, not the passion of playing music. Thats it, there was NO passion in it. Though that could be the record companies fault, not the bands..
    But yeah when I have perfected the trick I will video it for you mate lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The band I believe is on an indy label, TrustKill records, though they could have a bigger deal, I don't know. I first heard the song because it is one of the songs on MLB 2K6 The Show, the baseball game that I haven't tinkered with now in months, but I could never find the song anywhere until today. I suppose it could be forced, it just sounded new to me, at least newer than a lot of the stuff that passes for music around these parts. The local rock station calls a song current if it was made in the last 15 years or so, and if it is current then it won't get played as much as Led Zepplin and there is only so many years of that I can take, and I think 38 is about the right number.
    I knew I had seen the guitar trick in the past, but wasn't sure where. That was part of the campiness for why I liked the video so much, it had those aspects of old rock videos that I found amusing. Between that, the twirling of the drumstick (and how old is that trick), the shot of the one guitar player tossing his hair back in almost slo mo fashion I found priceless. And don't get me started on the at least two shots that were to have the lead singer in focus but missed him almost completely, that was either pure genius or the worst camera work ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey i really like it. Sometimes this is more of what I like to listen too. thnx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been