Monday, May 26, 2008

Dualing Asshats

We will start with the missing Asshat on this particular entry. Don't worry, it's not like "Where's Waldo?", you don't have to pick a face out of the crowd, I am fully prepared to tell you exactly who the winner is without you going out seeking them yourself. Enter Jason Giambi. Giambi is a first baseman/designated hitter for the New York Yankees, and so far this season, his numbers have been mediocre to say the least. Sure he has 9 homeruns, but he is batting a paltry .230 and his Yankees currently reside in last place in the American League East, 5.5 games in back of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (yes I still call them the Devil Rays as opposed to just Rays) . All of that is nice background information, but that doesn't explain why Mr. Giambi gets the Asshat. In an interview Giambi revealed that in order to break out of hitting slumps he wears a gold lame thong with flame line waistband. Again, lots of players do stupid things to change their mojo, but what makes Giambi's slump busting bothersome is that he will share his thong with his teammates. Maybe this works, maybe his teammates start hitting just so they can get out of Giambi's underpants, I don't know, but anyone who drops their drawers in another man's gym locker hoping they will wear them is indeed an Asshat.

With that out of the way, time to get to the rest of the blog. I continue to scoop up Pepsi and Coke caps whenever I can. I redeemed another three songs from Pepsi and the freebie list on Imeem is now up to an even 30 songs. I also cashed in some Coke points and have 30 free digital prints from Snapfish coming. I just have to pick the pictures out of the ones that I have on my computer and get them printed up. I just haven't decided which pics to get printed, probably some of my Christmas ones that are on ye olde computer in digital form still.

I have been pretty lazy this week/weekend. I did manage to get a few things done Saturday.. I have been using a beat up backpack for about 7 months now, and I finally got up the gumption to go and replace it. I figured I would go to Big Lots and see if they had any bags, figuring they would be cheaper than anyone else. No such luck, the only bags they had were the ones with handles and wheels. When did we get so lazy that backpacks are no longer carried on the back, but wheeled around so that we don't just drag them on the ground? I get that some luggage may need wheels, but freaking backpacks? And I am supposed to pay more money for this Cadillac feature? Fuck, it's like putting rims on a Yugo. Needless to say, I passed on the few bags they had there, tried Family Dollar and they had absolutely nothing, which meant that I had to go to Target at the Waterfront. Mind you, the Waterfront isn't that far away from where I was, just a few blocks, but there are about 4 sets of railroad tracks between those stores and the ones at the Waterfront, and only the entrance is not really a direct line, so I opted to hop the fence and take a trail that runs through the tracks to the Waterfront instead. Me being me, I managed to smash my testicles on the fence, proving once again that my skill set leaves a lot to be desired in things of a physical nature. Luckily I don't plan on using them any time soon, so all is well there.

After some searching at Target, I managed to find a bag without wheels and then it was off to grocery shop, because I saw that a three pound bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts was 5.99, which will get me in the store most anytime, because I use those for my spicy chicken sandwiches. So I meandered through the store and ended up getting some stuff to cook so I am not always ordering food in. Don't worry, I have no intention of poisoning myself, after all, if I did that, who would type the mind numbing entries into my blog.

I guess I should do a Joe Random update, since when last we heard from poor Joe, he was having a decent rookie season, and the Devil Rays did have a one game lead in their division. Not too bad of a place to be in, but nothing was guaranteed, I could still just as easily miss the playoffs entirely, or lose the Rookie of the Year award that Joe was frontrunner for, or worst of all, both. Then came September, the last full month of the baseball season (there are a handful of games the first week of October). All I did was hit .483 for the month with 12 HRs and 40 RBI, so my season numbers are now .435 av, 29 HRs and 115 RBIs, which I imagine will be good enough for the Rookie of the Year award, since the next closest guy has hit 2 fewer homeruns, driven in 34 fewer runs and his average is only .266. I still have a few games left in the regular season, but I have clinched the division title, so it is on to the post season for Joe. As an added bonus, the 115 RBIs are good for 4th in the league, and I have also hit 44 doubles, good for 6th. My batting average would be first if I had enough plate appearances to qualify in that category, but because I was called up after the season started and was originally being rotated in at third base (I now play every day either at 1B or DH) I just don't have the official at bats to qualify for batting average.

I should note that the Penguins lost their first game of the Stanley Cup final, 4-0 to the Detroit Red Wings. I will post the video as soon as the league makes it available, I am assuming that they are running slow because the first game was played on a weekend night, and with Monday being a holiday, I don't now if anyone works in their editing offices. Game 2 is scheduled for tonight, I may chime in from time to time if I check the score. I don't have cable TV at home, so I can't watch the game, though they did allow people to go down to the Civic Arena to watch the game inside on the big screen for $5 with proceeds going to the Mario Lemieux Cancer Institute, and game 1 drew 14,000+ people to watch the game on TV.

Part of the reason I haven't been blogging as much recently is that I have been trying to catch up on West Wing episodes on Surf The Channel. I have made my way through most of season 5, which is good, because I started watching the show early on, missed some of the stuff in the middle, and then came back to the show in it's last season or two. This internet viewing is allowing me to fill in some gaps that I originally missed. No problem with that as far as I am concerned.

I did manage to go Pogo wild this weekend, getting all three badges that were offered, plus the bonus Spring badge for completing 5 challenges, and three game award badges, the second game award badge offered in Sweet Tooth, Golf Solitaire and Spades, for a grand total of 7 badges so far, plus I am getting closer to finishing off Kenopop, I am now up to level 43.

Well, hey hey hey, it looks like they finally got around to posting the video from game one, so a break in the action while I go post it.

And while I am posting said video, Detroit scores twice in game 2 and already the Penguins trail again.

I have Antiques Roadshow on, and I have to wonder why every item they show is something of considerable value. Just once I would love to see the appraiser go off because someone brought them an item that wasn't worth shit. That would be cool and would make public broadcasting far more enjoyable.

I am making some progress in the most current read, I have knocked off the first couple of hundred pages, but because it is a history book, a couple of hundred pages really isn't all that much, but since most of my reading has been confined to riding the bus to and from work, I am not complaining all that much. I already have the next book picked out for the neverending blog, but I will save it until I finish the current one.

Something I failed to mention is that while I added the three songs to my freebie list on Imeem, I actually got my first comment on a song that I uploaded, which was nice. I really spend very little time on Imeem, I don't use the video or blogging services at all, about all I do there is upload music, audio and photos, so the idea that someone who actually stop by the page and comment on something was kind off cool.

Yikes, I just changed the channel on the TV and American Gladiators is on and some Gladiator named Helga looks and sounds a helluva lot like a guy. They claim she is a woman, but after hearing her say "Ready", I got even money that she pees standing up.

Well, before I go, lets get the Asshat thing up to date shall we, as I still need to post one from this past week, and besides, this will be the first time ever that I have bookended a blog with Asshats. The winner of the coveted Asshat title is Todd Davis. For those of you who do not know who Todd is, he runs a company called Lifelock, it is an identity security company, they are supposed to keep other people from using your personal information in applying for fraudulent credit cards and the like. Some of you may have heard the commercial on the radio or TV, where Todd starts off by blabbing his social security number and saying that since he has Lifelock, he is pretty much unworried because his identity can't be stolen. Except it can and it has, Lifelock is now being sued because by giving away his SS# over the air, people have used it to apply for such things as driver's licenses and cash advances under a false name, namely his. If Lifelock can't even protect the owner of the company, really how good of a service is it? At ten dollars a month to the consumer ($120 a year for the math majors out there), Mr. Davis certainly has himself quite the racket and with that racket we would like to add one Asshat as well.

3 comments:

  1. I heard about good ole' Todd Davis on the radio show I listen to on occassion on my way into work on thursday! But as I was focused on winning my own asshat award for my graceful moves and broken nose at work I didnt get a chance to email you from work to tell you about him! I couldnt even believe it! The "radio men" as they call themselves I know so witty and original, talked about him. And I immediately thought of you and the asshat. But you mentioned him anyway. SO lost track of my initial point. hope your week goes well. Thanks for commenting ever so briefly on american gladiators. thats a show that should never have been redone from when I was a kid. But I guess some people never learn. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, did you see the video from the spokane chiefs where they broke the memorial cup that was awarded to them for hockey!? it was quite funny. that in itself might almost be worthy of an asshat for Chris Bruton the team captain. the video is already on youtube. but I actually caught it on local news tonight. the looks on their faces were pricesless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd pay to see the whole team turn out for their batting inning just wearing gold lame thongs lmao.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been