Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Multiply 365 Day 303 - Hearing things

I heard it today, but didn't recognize it for what it was. It was that low, melodious hum that rang through everything, in all places at all times. Maybe it just followed me around, maybe others heard it too, I really do not know. I couldn't even place my finger on it at first, what it was than simply was everywhere I went. Usually I am the type that just tunes such things out, nothing more than background noise, but today I actually listened.


I first realized I was hearing it at my desk, getting ready for another ho hum type day, when a simple note changed my whole frame of mind. It wasn't just who sent it, or what was written, it was the love and conviction behind them that swept over me, lifting my very spirit in a time when I didn't even realize it needed lifting.


It was there again when I went out for a simple cigarette break at work, filling a crystal blue sky with its sound, making a mid fall day in Pittsburgh feel more like something from late spring or early summer.


I heard it again when I went to my favorite pizza shop where I hadn't ordered an actual pizza from from for years. Usually I don't have time for such frivolities at work, and making a special trip just for a pizza isn't something I am prone to doing, yet here I was opening a pizza box from that very shop and realizing that sometimes things are really just as good as you remember them to be.


Still later in the day I heard it again at my desk, this time it was from the mother's love for a son and a simple recognition that sometimes the process works exactly as it should. Fear will never be able to inspire us to great acts the way love will.


Finally I heard it on my ride home, as I took a bus I normally wouldn't and watched as a young man sat down beside me and his daughter beside him and saw the look of adoration in her eyes for her father. Maybe her face will never be called upon to launch a thousand ships, but she can sleep soundly knowing she has one person who will always protect her and keep her safe. And on the same bus, as if the sound wasn't loud enough already, a man just starts singing a Temptations number, slightly off key but absolutely perfect for the moment.


It wasn't until I finally got off the bus that I realized what the sound was that was running through everything today, it was the sound of beauty. Maybe before today I wouldn't have heard it, maybe I would have heard it or not recognized it for what it was or maybe I would have done both, but then turned a deaf ear to it, lest it ruin my cool, snarky persona I have on the page.


Jennifer, the other day you asked me what it is I see in you. While I did answer your question, the answer was somewhat incomplete. Because it isn't simply what I see in you, but what you allow me to hear as well. Thank you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been