Sunday, November 29, 2015

B365V2.161 - Saturday Night (almost live)

  So, last nite I broke with my tradition of never doing anything and instead opted to go to the WXXP 30th Anniversary Reunion show at Stage AE.  For those not in the know, WXXP was a radio station in Pittsburgh circa 1986 - 1988 that played alternative music back when such a thing wasn't mainstream crap.   During their brief existence there were only a few stations in the United States outside of college stations that had a similar format.  As it so happens, I graduated from high school in 1987, so it could be argued that they were around during my formative years.  And being probably the only person in my school who listened to them regularly (I come from the land of the mufflerless truck and redneck rock) their time on the air holds a special place in my memory.

     So when I saw there was going to be a reunion show, complete with an old local band that I liked back in the day, The Affordable Floors, of course it was a must see event for yours truly.  So I got up earlier than I usually do on Saturday morning, to make sure I was in to work on time so that I would have everything I needed to get done done, then I would hop the subway over to Stage AE, catch the show and time permitting, take some Christmas pics downtown afterward.

    I get into work about 10 am after navigating my way around the Celebrate the Season parade, and proceeded to put away the Sledd order, which was delayed a day because of Thanksgiving.  It felt good to do stuff on the floor again as opposed to being hidden away in the office.  After that I put together the GFS order, which I had already started earlier in the week, sorted out three different cigarette orders, and broke down a week's worth of invoices for our accountant Monday morning.  I finished up around 3 pm, which was still too early for the show, where doors were opening at 6 pm, but I had no desire to rush home only to turn around and meander back into town, so I grabbed a couple of jalapeño dogs and walked down the street, thinking I could go play some MPQ in the park, to kill some time.  I made it through one dog before my hands were too cold to be outside playing on my tablet, so I walked back to work and  went back to the office where I watched some Homicide: Life on the Street on YouTube to pass some time.  I also brought some stuff up from the basement and finished checking in a delivery that came in.  I putzed around until 5:30, then walked to the subway station where I bought my next week's bus pass from the kiosk there while waiting on my subway to arrive.

     It shows up and I get to Stage AE, the concert venue just as the doors were opening, so I flittered inside, where a bunch of 80s alternative music was playing, leading up to the concert.  I heard there was supposed to be a couple other bands playing, but there were groups I had never heard of.  The reason being was the bands were basically cover bands, playing other artists material.  I made my way over to the merchandise table, where I grabbed a couple of shirts, then to the bar where I got a beer.  I wanted a Yuengling but they didn't have it, so I opted for a Sam Adams Rebel Yell IPA, and I would have rather had my first choice, thank you very much.

      Finally the first band came out, Seven Color Sky, and the nicest thing I can say about them is they would be an okay band to play weddings and bar mitzvahs.  By far the worst part of the evening.  I stepped out to the patio area to have a cigarette toward the end of their set, so I didn't catch the name of the second band that played. They started off okay but then it turned into a jam session, first the keyboardist from the Floors jumped in with them, then I saw a lead singer that I thought I recognized, and it turns out I did.  It was Alex from Submachine, and he was on stage singing with whomever was part in of the band's ensemble at that point.  Alex and I used to work together at The Attic, like 15 years or so ago.  He sand some songs by Public Image Limited and Shriekback, as everybody was doing covers save for the main attraction of the evening.

       While watching Alex, a couple of girls in front of me were pointing out who was on stage, and I could swear I recognized them from my time at the Attic as well.  It looked like Kathy and Rebecca, and I suppose I could have confirmed my suspicions by asking them, but then that would go against my personality of not approaching females, lest I get cooties or something.  Though I will say if it was Rebecca (and I think it was) she aged quite well the last 15 years.

     The other lowlight of the evening for me was our grandest poobah, Mayor Bill Peduto came out at one point and did a proclamation stating that Saturday was officially WXXP day in Pittsburgh.  Maybe it is just me, but I did not need a mayoral affirmation to attend this show.

I switched my drinking pattern, going to run and Coke as opposed to beer, save for the fact it was rum and Pepsi (Pepsi has the beverage contract at Stage AE) but that is useless information you didn't need but I provided nonetheless.

After the show I walked back to the subway station and got off in town figuring I would take some Christmas pics while I was downtown.   But the Wintergarten was closed at PPG place, as was the Christmas village in Market Square, so I took just a few pics and walked back to work to get my bag and go home.
                                         North Shore Subway station
                                          Outside stage AE, gates opening
                                          Inisde Stage AE
                                         Stage AE patio area
                                         Stage AE sells peodphile sausages, but hey, they are honest
                                          Seven Color Sky











                                         Tha Affordable Floors

                                        PNC Park at night
                                         Gateway Plaza subway station
                                         Christmas tree on the Horne's building
                                         Santa's village Market Square
                                         Still the best pizza downtown
                                          Ice rink at PPG place

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been