Thursday, November 26, 2015

B365V2.160 - I will not be on youtube

     Leave it to me to have my first attempt at making a turkey on Thanksgiving be by involving the  most dangerous method possible, that being the deep fried method.  You see, we have a deep fryer at work, so in my mind I was thinking I have access to some of the equipment already so rather than go out and buy a roasting pan, why not?  What's the worst that could happen, besides the fry blows up and takes the business with it. 

     As evidenced by the fact I am typing this as opposed to dictating it from my hospital bed, we can safely determine that no explosions were involved, there is no disaster footage to be found on Youtube or on your local nightly news, instead I found an easy recipe, followed it to the letter (or thereabouts) and everything worked out swimmingly.  Which was good, because I hedged my bets, I was afraid I would screw something up or the turkey wouldn't turn out right, so I didn't go full blown Thanksgiving day spread at work (maybe next year, now that I know I can do this), I just made turkey for the staff, because I am a cool boss like that. It came out all kinds of tasty and juicy but unlike lasagna, I did not get lucky afterward, unless by lucky you mean having a full belly. 

     The only accident that did occur was in brining the turkey, which the recipe called for putting the turkey and brine in a cooler overnight with ice and storing it in a cool dry place.  I opted against using ice and storing the cooler in the basement in a fridge we have down there.  Well I used a stryofoam cooler for storing the turkey and at some point some of the brine escaped the cooler, whether there was a leak in it or someone accidentally spilled it, I do not know but there was water all over the floor when I went to get the cooler this morning, I opened it and most of the brine was gone.  Just as well, there was still some in the container and that was good enough.  I took the turkey out of the cooler and let it rest , patted off the extra moisture with some paper towels and gently lowered it into the fryer.  The advantage of using the fryer at work as opposed to one of those home type creations some people use is that I could set the oil temperature rather than be a G and try to regulate it.   The oil bubbles somewhat ferociously but as it calmed down I continued to lower the bird into the oil  until all was good, save for the fact the oil didn't completely cover the bird, so I had to turn it a few times while it was in the oil, while making sure not to burn myself in the process.  But after about 30 minutes or so we had it, deliciously deep fried turkey, all that was left was to rest the turkey for about 30 minutes and we had food. 

    And that was the first ever turkey that I made, now I plan on following it up by taking some downtown Christmas pics tomorrow after work and then Saturday it is the 30th anniversary WXXP show at Stage AE with yours truly in attendance.  Plans, glorious plans I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been