Saturday, November 29, 2008

Welcome to Saturday

Just in case you thought I do nothing on Saturdays, I figured I would blog about what it is I actually do do on Saturdays, then I realized that I don't do much, so the purpose of that was quickly foiled. 

With that out of the question I thought maybe a photo blog would be in order, but then again, the big event in town today is the "Celebrate the Season" parade, and while other parades have cool grand marshalls, we always get stuck with some washed up has been.  A few years back it was Chubby Checker, after him came the guy that played Carmine Raguso on "Laverne & Shirley" and this year it is the lead singer of the now defunct Grand Funk Railroad, which I guess makes them Grand Defunked Railroad, but I digress.  

Maybe a glog would be in order, but Yahoo doesn't have any hockey on tonight and the big local games either happened yesterday or tomorrow, as Pitt played West Virginia in the 101st meeting of the  Backyard Brawl as the locals call the rivalry between the two football teams on Friday, and tomorrow the Steelers are in New England to take on the Patriots.  So the glog is out of the question as well.

I could do a cooking blog, a clog if you will, as I just finished making a pretty mean batch of chili, but I lack the equipment to film such an event, and even if I had it, I doubt you would want to see my methods of cooking, that being to cook in my T shirt and underwear.  What can I say, I like being comfortable in my apartment, and comfort to me means as few clothes as is possibe.  Besides, making chili with a crock pot isn't all that difficult, just a matter of throwing in all of the ingredients and putting it on slow cook for awhile.  For me, that meant two medium sweet onions, three cans of kidney beans, one can tomato sauce, two cans of diced tomatoes,hot sauce and liberal amounts of black pepper, cayene pepper and chili powder and one pound of browned ground beef.

Other than making chili, I guess I did get something accomplished today, as I took myself to lunch for a cajun chicken sandwich and french fries.  Actually I went to lunch while out doing a few more job applications.  So far I have done 12, I have only gotten a complete rejection on one, the other 11 I assume are in various states of consideration.  I still have three more in my notebook that I want to get to at some point, I will either do them tomorrow or Monday morning at work. 

Sorry, had to step away from the blog for a bit, the chili was warm enough to eat, and yes it was muy tasty.  I love food that is spicy but flavorful and this certainly fit the bill, as my lips were still buzzing from the spices well after I had eaten it.  It took a couple of slices of bread to nullify that a little.  I say a little because I also used the bread to sop up the spicy tomato juicy stuff that was left in the bowl, thus defeating the purpose of the bread somewhat.  Still, it was oh so good.  I don't know why I don't make that more often. 

I was going to retire with a good book to my bed, but then realized I am once again out of reading material.  I finished my book today while riding the bus to grap some applications.  That only leaves me about 4 books behind on the neverending thread.  Maybe tomorrow I will add the links to those books, as but yet another thing to do tomorrow.  I of course have to work, my mom wants a Christmas list, I have to call my aunt back to let her know that I wasn't the person in the neighborhood that was shot the other day, though since then there have been two more shootings in the neighborhood, none of them involving me either.  Rather they are taking place on top of the hill from where I am, in the city's aptly named Hill District.  And of course, like a BFT from times past, it is a predominately African American neighborhood, and more caterwalling is taking place about how the shootings have to stop and blah blah fucking blah.  I have gotten to the point where I just tune it out, it will never change and the same sad commentary will take place again and again.  Just as the sun will rise, someone will get shot, people will mouth words about making their community safe, but after about 24 hours we return to the status quo.  If it is a kid that is ginned down, there may be a candlelight vigil, or a brief march in the street, but not much more.

I am edging closer to the 90 Pepsi points I want before the promotion ends at the end of December.  I noticed they started phasing the caps out, and places that push a lot of product are back to the old blue caps that are worth nothing at all.  The other day while shopping I actually had to reach to the back of the shelf, just to get an older bottle that still had a yellow cap on it.  I am up to about 76 or so, so chances are I can come up with 14 in a months time, but I may have to do a quick jaunt around the neighborhood next week to see if I can scavenge a few more before garbage day.  I blew out some Coke points the other day for a friend, I cashed them in for a poster from Snapfish, where they allow you to take your existing photographs and make a poster out of them.  I have used their service in the past, having had some photos developed from them, they seem to be pretty decent, but I know I don't have the skills with a camera to have my photos made into a poster, or put on a coffee mug for that matter, which they also do.  Still it is nice knowing that I am getting something out of saving these things, even if it isn't always for me. 

Now that I thought about it, I just went ahead and entered codes for some more Coke stuff that has been sitting on my desk.  I had like 5 caps here, only one of which I actually drank, the rest were just caps I found, and as I was on the Reward page, I saw that they are giving away Pogo stuff for the next 30 days, one and three month memberships.  A one month is 100 points, so I entered the codes I had here and damn if my account doesn't read 99 points.  The Pogo stuff is a limited time offer, so I either have to pass on Pepsi and drink Coke at least once, or find another cap while out scrounging around.  Actually, I can't believe that people let those caps just get away like they do, I saw stuff on there for gift cards for Omaha Steaks, more stuff from Snapfish, including a photo calendar, stuff from 1-800-Flowers, just all kind of neat stuff that I would be interested in.  Hell they keep putting cool stuff up like that, I may quit getting free music altogether and opt for the other goodies. 

Well I better head to bed, I do have to be up in the morn, and I have my chili to put away yet, though I would advise anyone standing behind me for the next few days, I am thinking a stinking cloud may be in the offing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been