Sunday, February 17, 2008

Red Wings - Stars glog and free stuff

We are long overdue for one of these, and since I was pleasantly diverted today, I guess I will be able to glog after all. First the diversion.

Usually when I work on Sunday, it is at my own pace and all I do is production work, the main thing being knocking out my commercial feeds and everything else is gravy. Sometimes I will work on the upcoming weekend shows for WJAS, sometimes I will work on podcasts, and still other times, as soon as I get done with my commercials, I scoot. It just depends really on how I am feeling. Today I figured I would probably stay at work and get a lot done simply because I had nothing of note on the social calendar. Well that changed, as my mom called to say they were in Pittsburgh, so they came to work to meet me, I was still finishing up a couple of things when they arrived, so we chatted for a bit and they offered to give me a ride home from work, which I figured would save me a bus ticket or two, so I took them up on the offer. It means I am now home to glog this afternoon's hockey game on NBC, here's hoping we don't have any neck slashing incidents.

I did run out to buy some cigarettes and lo and behold, in a dumpster across the street was a 24 pack of Coke box. Yes, more points. At least I hope, I haven't tried the code on them yet. So let's check that shall we. And it is good, another 20 points for me. I'm thinking it is time for something I haven't done in a while, free stuff, woohoo.

Code: MCC4RQPFNRKJRTPZ

To redeem your free music downloads:

1. Visit www.rhapsody.com/promo/mycokerewards

2. Enter your code, including dashes and caps

3. Follow the instructions to enjoy your music

Yes, someone who visits this page wins a free song today, or tomorrow or whenever. Just for the benefit of others, if you are the first and you use the code, write dibs or something in the comments so everybody else isn't trying to claim the same prize. Actually, a 24 pack of soda is worth 20 points, and songs this month only cost 15, so I basically just picked a free song out of the trash. My dumpster diving is paying off.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, as a place that is around the corner from me is about to open as a fish and chips place. The building has seen a few different restaurants in it, first it was Niko's Gyros, and it was known obviously for its gyros, but the owner gave it up and it became The Wing Pitt, which was cool, I liked most of their wing flavors, the seasoning they put on the fries (I think it had Old Bay in it) and they made awesome cajun chicken sandwiches. Unfortunately, the service left a lot to be desired and sometimes they wouldn't even be open when they were scheduled to be. It led to a prolonged boycott by me, I would refuse to go there, if they weren't going to be open sometimes, it was just better to go there no times. Now apparently they are putting in a place that is doing fish and what not. I saw some of the old stuff is still on the menu, which doesn't surprise me, most of the old equipment is still there, much like when it switched from Niko's to The Wing PItt, they were smart enough to keep the gyros, since everyone expected them at that location, They have some menus outside the place for people walking by, so I snagged one and now I am getting geeked to have lunch there tomorrow. Monday may be a spoil me day, as I plan on buying comic books for myself as well. It will be only my second trip to buy books since the dreaded "Brand New Day" fiasco I blogged about, and in my only trip to the comic book store, I did not buy Spiderman, as the boycott is in full effect here. There are still ample books that I will read, that just won't be one of them.

I finished the Hearts badge last night. I told myself I would play until I lost and I ran off 5 wins in a row, so that badge is officially done as well. The rest of the week (until Wednesday) will just be bonus time for me.

I am not sure if I will be watching TV tonight, it looks like Knight Rider is on, and I am not all that into resurrecting old bad TV shows into new bad copies of old bad TV shows. Maybe I will watch a DVD or something. I did pick up a copy of Clerks last week, it was on sale for 6.99 new, and I was out doing some shopping, buying more paper for work, a box of pens (Staples had boxes of 48 for $3.49) and a couple other small things that I needed and I bought the movie as something to pass some time. I had already seen it, but I knew it was funny and it was cheap which is always a good combo.

Anyway, today I know that the Dteroit Red Wings are on TV, though I do not know just who they are playing. A quick check of my sports info says they are playing the Dallas Stars, so it will be a decent game for me on the fantasy front, I have Pavel Datysuk and Tomas Holmstrom from Detroit and Dallas's goaltender Marty Turco. I need some help today as I trail this week with today's games left in the week. A quick look at the matchup fantasy wise goes as follows,

 

I lead in goals (6-4), power play points (8-5), wins (3-1) and shots on goal (68-43), I trail in assists (12-11), +/- (5-(-15)), penalty minutes (29-28), goals against average (2.32-2.99) and save percentage (.917-.893) and we are tied in shutouts (0-0) which is good for a 4-5-1 week. I need to pick up something in one of the categories I trail in in order to keep my non losing streak alive.

Well, until the game gets underway, in about 30 minutes, I am going to go Pogoing.

Okay, it looks like the game is about to start, I just have some prep work to get out of the way, like opening my Sportsline window to follow along with the TV, stats tend to get updated faster there than on TV. Wow, not only is Knight Rider on tonight, so is American Gladiators. It is a double shot of rehashed suck TV. And NBC wonders why they are the lowest rated network. All they need to do is look at their programming and it would be pretty obvious.

I may step away from the game here and there, I am thinking I need to brew some more iced tea and I may make some dinner as well. Just depends on how much time I have. I have been thawing pierogis and may fry some up to eat in a bit.

Okay, we are underway from Dallas. early on there is no score, though Marty Turco is in goal for Dallas. I wasn't sure he would be, he has been in and out of the lineup recently and his backup in goal for Dallas, Mike Smith, has played well. Early on Detroit seems to be dictating the play, keeping the puck in Dallas's end of the ice and getting a couple of shots on goal, but neither team has been overly dominant to this point. And as soon as I type that, Detroit gets off a few shots on Turco, but gets nothing for their effort.

5 minutes in and Dallas has their first real sustained offense, but Detroit turns it into a 2 on none breakaway the other direction but Turco makes a sprawling save to keep it scoreless.. Check that, he caught just enough of the puck that it hit off of the right post, and with that we have our first TV timeout in a scoreless hockey game.

Detroit will go on the power play, and this will be a test of strengths, Detroit's power play is ranked 3rd in the NHL, Dallas's penalty kill is ranked first. Dallas kills off the penalty and actually outshoots Detroit 2-0 despite being down a man for 2 minutes. Round one of that matchup I would say goes to Dallas, as Detroit is playing better 5 on 5 than with the man advantage.

We get another TV timeout, with 9:25 remaining in the first period, still no score, Detroit leads in shots 6-3 but has nothing to show for their effort to this point.

Another commercial for American Gladiators, only the second one in this game so far. They could run one of those every commercial break and I am still not going to watch.

3 minutes of hockey roll by with little if anything to show for it as neither team can register a shot. Finally Chris Chelios gets off a shot to break the monotany, and Mike Modano registers one for Dallas, neither player scores however, and we remain scoreless.

Dallas seems to have evened the play here in the second half of the first period but neither team has managed to find the back of the net. The shots are now just 8-7 in Detroit's favor.

As I am watching the commercial break, I am left wondering if a commercial has ever moved me to try a product. I can think of quite a few that have turned me away from a product, but I am hard pressed to think of one that made me think "Wow, I have to try that."

Jeff Halpern is called for interference with the goaltender and Detroit has their second power play of the game. This power play is going a little better for Dallas than the last one, Turco makes a nice stop with a poke check to keep the game scoreless and Detroit is now 0 for 2 on the power play.

The first period comes to a close and we remain tied at 0-0. You know, I don't think I have ever glogged a shootout before, not saying it will happen, we still have 40 minutes of hockey left here, but the thought just eased across my cranium like a warm summer breeze. Much like the thought of fish and chips is for my lunch tomorrow.

Cool, I just saw that Yahoo is airing the Calgary/Anaheim game tonight, it could be a hockey Sunday for me. At least it isn't American Gladiators.

While looking for hockey, I saw that Esquire has their list of Best Sandwiches, and look who made the list.......

Ham and Cheese

Primanti Bros., Pittsburgh

A relic of Pittsburgh’s steel days, this sandwich was made for steelworkers who had to eat fast. Everything that typically comes with a sandwich comes on it: meat cooked hot, bacon, tomato, provolone, pickles, slaw, an egg for fifty cents extra, even fries. Shove it in your lunch box. (46 Eighteenth Street; 412-263-2142)

 

All I can say to that is get the cappicola with egg, way yummy. As for the list from Esquire, eat at your own risk, they also have the McRib from McDonalds on it, and I have yet to have ribs without bones, so I wonder just what they are pressing together when they make those meat patties, it could be pigeon for all I know.

Since we are in the first intermission, I have started the frying of the pierogis and the brewing of the iced tea. This is what passes for multitasking here, cooking and blogging at the same time.

Great, we are getting ready for period number 2 and I am now running between the kitchen and the computer. I just added butter to the skillet and I think things will be most tasty.

Second period is underway and Datysuk is denied on another chance, it is like his second or third really good scoring chance in this game, but he follows that up by taking a penaly and Dallas will get their first power play of the game. With only three pnealties so far, this game has been relatively whistle free,

Almost 4 minutes into the second period, still no score as Dallas fails to convert on their first power play. Meanwhile, my food is done and the iced tea is almost complete.

Detroit just had another great scoring opportunity but Turco makes another big save to keep the game scoreless,however the result of Detroit's pressure is Dallas takes another penalty, giving Detroit their third power play of the game.

Kudos to Turco, who made a couple more saves duirng the penalty kill for Dallas to keep the game scoreless and the leagues third ranked power play is now 0 for 3.

Wow, Turco makes another glove save on Johan Franzen right in front to keep the game scoreless. It looks like Detroit is getting the better of the play here early in the second period, but again they have nothing to show for it.

To this point Detroit holds an 8-5 lead in shots in the second period and leads 16-12 overall but since shots only count in the stats column, and not the scoreboard, it remains tied at zero with less than 10 minutes remaining in the second period.

Another commercial for Knight Rider. How sad of an actor are you when you know that when you sign on to do a role the star of the show will not be you, but instead will be a car?

Back to hockey and Tomas Holmstrom takes a slashing call, 2 minutes to the box for you young man and Dallas gets their second power play. On the plus side, I rack up 2 more penalty minutes to add to my total..He and Datysuk have each contributed to my total and given I was trailing by one minute going into today, I will take it.

Jimmy Howard just made a series of saves during the Dallas power play and the game remains scoreless, though it was Dallas's best chance to score so far this game. Much like the first period, it seems like Dallas is playing better in the second half of the period than in the first half of it.

Another save by Howard, this time during 5 on 5 play and he catches the shot in his chest and the shot advantage that Detroit had is all but wiped out, as it is just 17-16 now.  Howard makes two more big saves, including one where he is laying on the ice to keep his bid for a shutout intact, the only problem being Turco is also making a shutout bid to this point.

An icing call on Detroit moves the faceoff into the Detroit end with less than a minute remaining in the second period. Howard makes another save, and after a rush by Detroit that saw them get a couiple of shot attempts off, the second period comes to a close. and we are still scoreless. Dallas has taken the lead in shots after that very effective ten minutes of hockey.

Second intermission and I have already made my food and iced tea, what will I do? I suppose I could babble about something or other, or I could smoke a cigarette and relax in all of my pierogi eating glory. About the only thing that would be missing is for me to unbutton my pants and stick my hand down the front for the image to be complete and to scar your image of me yet again, as I am prone to do.

Oh well, I managed to check some blog entries, I didn't get to comment mind you, but I at least looked at a few. I am so far behind in that regard it isn't even funny, at current rate I should be finishing up winter blogs somewhere around summer.

Okay, here we go, third period is underway. Let's see if someone can score in regulation, shall we. Detroit gets a power play early in the thrid period, but that hasn't been much of an advantage for Detroit to this point. And this time is no different, Detroit fails to score again with the man advantage and with play going to 5 on 5 Dallas breaks through in the scoreless battle, getting the games first goal compliments of Niklas Hagman, his 21st goal of the year.

We return to play and Turco makes another good save to kep his team ahead and the clock is starting to not be in Dteroit's favor, with just 15 minutes and change left in the game. Should I have said 15 minutes and Obama left in the game instead? I don't know, he apparently is the definition of change, so should I use his name every time now in place of the word change?

More end to end action while I am trying to be funny and failing miserably, luckily no one scored so my standup routine didn't cause me to miss any of the white hot competitive action that is a 1-0 hickey game.

I am not sure from a fantasy perspective what I want to happen now, I have gotten 4 penalty minutes, but I am also getting a shutout from my goaltender, and those are rare indeed. Just one would probably get me a win for the week in that category.

Dallas will go on the power play, Henrik Zetterberg gets called for tripping. That is 2 minutes of the remaining 12 or so that Detroit will have to play a man down. Not a particularly good position for the Red Wings to be in here. Mind you, neither team has been effective on the power play to this point, so I am not sure how much of an advantage it is turning out to be and sure enough, Detroit kills the penalty and Dallas is now 0-3 while being up a man but they lose two minutes of game time in the process..

A stoppage of play on an icing call and with 8:50 left in the contest Dallas leads Detroit 1-0. A scorng update, on the Hagman goal, credit the assists to Jere Lehtinen and Niklas Grossman. Not that it matters much to the blog reader, but we try to be thorough round these parts.

At the 7:40 mark, Turco makes another save, this one bounces off of him and he swipes it away with his stick to keep the score intact. No hockey on NBC next Sunday, I am sure we will be subjected to one of those cool sports like golf or figure skating,

Kris Draper goes to the penalty box, taking a 2 minute minor for for holding. Another bad time for Detroit to be taking a penalty, and early in the power play Mike Madono almost makes it 2-0 but his shot hits the outside of the post. I'll say this, if Detroit does lose this game, Jimmy Howard can't be blamed for it, he has been more than capable in net for the Red Wings. So far he has 29 saves on 30 shots, definitely a good day's work from any goaltender.

Another icing call end gives us a TV timeout with 4:52 remaining. Since the second half of the second period, this game has been all Dallas for the most part, with Detroit only getting a few chances since then. They have went from having a 16-12 advantage in shots at one point to now where they trail 30-24. And the clock continues to tick, now with just 3 minutes remaining. Pretty soon Detroit will have to pull the goaltender for the extra attacker. And it may be right now, with a faceoff deep in the Dallas zone and 1:59 left. But they don't and I have to wonder what they are waiting for. They wait till just one mionute left and go for the extra man and as soon as the do, Turco makes a spectacular save to keep it at 1-0.

Detroit wins the faceoff off of the held puck and this time Franzen is stopped by Turco, as Detroit is getting pressure with the sixth man but unable to capitalize due to some very good goaltending. Detroit wins another faceoff in the Dallas zone due to an icing call on Dallas but they can't get a shot on net and Dallas dumps the puck to kill most of the remaining time and they hold on for a 1-0 win.

From a fantasy perspective, I get a shutout from Turco (yay!) and 4 penalty minutes, 2 each from Datysuk and Holmstrom. That may put me in the lead in two categories, which would be huge. I guess I will learn more tomorrow, for the time being I am going to do a spell check and get out of here, maybe to play some Diablo 2, Electric Boogaloo.

3 comments:

  1. I want that sandwich in the worst way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sandwiches are a local institution, though Esquire magazine got the description wrong. The first Primantis opened in the city's Strip District, which is where all of the trucks coming into the city unload, it is basically a warehouse district and as the legend goes, the truckers wouldn't have time to sit down and eat a full meal before they would have to be back on the road, so all of the things that go with a meal, sandwich, fries and coleslaw were put together between two slices of bread. They caught on and now there are a handful of Primantis shops throughout the area as well as one that opened in Florida of all places.

    They have a varity of sandwiches to choose from, I just prefer the cappicola though you can get anything from steak to tuna fish, just depending on your preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And like the picture, there are no plates at Primantis, the sandwiches are served on wax paper and it would be a major fuax paus to ask for utensils.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been