Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mug me on Monday

Welcome to the show boys and girls, it has been a while, hasn't it? I am just putting together some dinner while I work on this blog, so if it comes out a little disjointed, or more disjointed than normal, it is because I am running back and forth from here and the kitchen.

I am not sure how to describe the week that was except to say that it has been chaotic at best. I am on a decent work schedule recently, if only because my paydays have been semiregular. The thing is, at my part time job I get paid every other Monday and at the full time job I get paid on the 3rd and the 18th of every month, unless those days fall on a weekend, then if it is Saturday, I get paid on Friday, if it is Sunday, then I get paid on Monday. Well, I got paid on the 28th which was cool, then the 3rd fell on a Sunday, which meant I got paid on Monday, I will get paid again on the 11th at the part time job, then again on Monday on the 18th and one more Monday on the 25th, the next Monday is March 3rd and the Monday after that would again be a payday at the part time gig. Very odd how the schedule has just fallen into place like that, but I will take it, I like getting paid every week as opposed to two checks one week and none the next.

The cost cutting at the radio station continues. They blew out one of my bosses, Mike McGann. He was the program director for our station, the other AM station, WJAS and also did the evening drive show on WJAS. They have shifted some of his work around, basically most of the program director duties for all three stations now fall on Ron Antill, who is the PD for the FM station, WSHH, and some of the log duties are falling to Greg, who used to produce Doug's show before Doug got blown out. Needless to say, we all are waiting to see who gets the axe next. About the only thing I have going for me, besides the fact that the morning news can't be automated and therefore needs a live body to run it is the fact I make a pittance while working there 6 days a week. I am not sure how much of a savings they would get by blowing me out, not that that makes me immune mind you, they did cut First Friday and one could argue it costs less than I do, but still, if I get fired, I am sure I will not be the only one in that round of cost cutting. To celebrate still having a job, I am making my Christmas Delmonico steaks for dinner with baked potatoes.

I am thinking of trying the breakfast trick again tomorrow, and actually going to Tom's DIner on the South Side instead of another dreaded trip to Pamela's. Partially I want to do it out of redemption for the bad breakfast experience I had last Saturday, and partially because I want to walk to breakfast and continue my search for Coke and Pepsi points. I am doing quite well since I started my search, I am at almost 140 Coke points, and with the Pepsi stuff, I am already at the point where I can either download 4 songs or 1 TV show episode. Not a bad start to the new pet project of mine, and I am doing far better with it than I am with the change meter these days.

Just about 5 minutes left till dinner is ready, so I will take a quick break here and be back to blog in a bit.

Okay, I am back and I am eating. By the way, I guess I am a decent cook when I try, this steak is pretty awesome, and I really didn't do all that much to it. It is good to be the king.

While I am on my food inflated egotrip, I should mention that the Foamy shirt did arrive on Thursday, I will be wearing it to beakfast in the morning in order to get myself a little more "Foamafied".

I did manage to add to the link section this week of my page, even though I haven't been blogging. Nothing too exciting, but I thought that the sponsors of the radio show deserved a little love, so I passed some along by adding them to the page. For most of the readers of the page, those will mean nothing, as chances are you will not be able to visit their fine establishments, but if it generates even one order for them, then it was worth the effort on my part, given what little effort it actually took.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Saturday entry. For those playing at home, I will sometimes step away from the blog only to come back at a later date and time. Little did I realize the date and time would be messed up on my computer, but that is a story unto itself. I was doing a little research for the blog entry, namely the payday portion of it and I had to go forward into March on my calendar, given that Feb is shorter than other months and therefore I needed to see just when the 3rd of March would occur. Of course, me being me meant that my computer stayed on March, and daylight savings time being what it is, that also pushed the clock ahead an hour. If that were the only problem that had occurred with my computer, all would have been good, but alas that is only the beginning. Sometimes my section of town goes all third world on us and the electricity will cut out. Mind you, that isn't a problem when there is a storm or some such thing as one would expect the possibility of an outage, but that wasn't the case yesterday and it seemed like everytime I would get things running again, there would go the electricty. It must have cut out 4 or 5 different times, just long enough to kill what I had been doing on the computer and eventually sending me to the land of the blue screen of death. I must have fought with this thing for a solid hour, trying everything, safe mode, restart using last working configuration, regular reboot and no matter what I did, more blue screen. Finally it decided to kick over and let me do that which I needed to do, then I went and messed the date up, and because I was getting the time off of my computer to reset my clock, my clock is now an hour ahead as well.

The hour ahead almost cost me breakfast. I woke up and it looked like it was already a quarter after 8, which to me on a Saturday breakfast run meant I had overslept. You don't want to arrive too late, because then, no matter where you go, it will be packed and I didn't want to fight a crowd. Plus I had to figure out what way I wanted to get to Tom's Diner.Tom's Diner

 

Seems the gods tried to conspire against me by wiping out a bridge that I could have taken, the Birmingham Bridge, that connects Oakland with the South Side. At some point yesterday, one of the platforms on the bridge decided that it would be a good time to drop, oh say 8 inches. That is enough to close the bridge for repairs and an inspection. It also meant if I wanted to take a bus to the South Side it was going to be detoured all the way to almost downtown in order to get around said bridge. Or I could walk down Bates Street and cross the Hot Metal Bridge, coming out at the South Side Works, and then walk about 13 or so blocks. I opted for the walking option, and as I am walking, I see a clock saying it was literally earlier than when I had climbed out of bed. Seemed odd, but I just assumed the clock was broke, until I saw two more with the same time, at which point I realized I was ahead, not behind schedule.

Anyway, I went to breakfast and all I can say is it was like sex and a half. It was that good. Remember last week when I spent $6.95 on breakfast and was sorely disappointed. For that same 6.95 this time I got 3 eggs (as opposed to two), toast (hey, there is a novel concept, toast with breakfast), home fries, three sausage links and three strips of bacon. Also, the coffee was free refills and the joint was smoking allowed. It was like I had died and my cholesterol soaked body had gone to heaven. All told, with the coffee and tax I think my check was like $9.20, I threw the waitress a five for a tip and it was the best $14 dollar breakfast I have had in ages.

I gues I should do a quick Pogo update, I have finished Quick Quack and done my personal so far (find 150 5 letter words in Word Whomp). The personal challenge may seem hard, but it really wasn't, I was skipping any puzzle that didn't have at least two five letter words to find, as doing them would have just made the badge take longer and really not help me all that much. I tried doing the scavenger hunt for a little bit, but after getting a few spins in dominos, I realized I probably wasn't going to get the puzzle piece, and the black jack badge is going to take long enough without me adding to the time it takes by chasing something I most assuredly wouldn't win anyway. I doubt I will get any game award badges this week, I can't think of any game I am close enough in to make an effort into getting one. I will get the Winter Wonderland badge, for completing 6 challenges, but everybody should be getting that one.

While on the subject of updates, my hockey team went 4-4-2 last week, 6th place is still mine, one point behind 5th however and a mere 9 points behind 3rd place. For the season, my record stands at 82-72-26.

As I am typing this, The Penguins just won their hockey game against the Los Angeles Kings this afternoon, meanwhile Philadelphia just lost to the New York Rangers, so the Pens are officially in first place again. Pittsburgh is 31-19-5 for 67 pts, Philadelphia is 30-19-5 for 65, New Jersey is also in the hunt at 30-21-4 for 64 points as are said Rangers with a 28-24-7 mark and 62 points. The whole division is a mess, though I am glad the Pens are at least staying competitive without Sidney Crosby in the lineup. As long as they make the playoffs, I will be happy because by then he most assuredly will be back.

The time has come the picking of the Asshat. I must admit, had the award been around 4 years ago, this guy might be a two time winner, but since it is a relatively new creation (only a year old) this week's winner, Ted Sampley, is a first timer. He was one of the hacks who tried to Swift Boat John Kerry's presidential nomination, creating the organization Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerry. Well the advantage of being in the field I am in is that I get pitched interview ideas, for the most part I pass on them, I tend to not like the talking points people, preferring to have the real McCoy on to defend or explain themselves. That being said, I was sent an email saying that I could have Ted Sampley on the show if I wanted. Why you may ask? Apparently John McCain now isn't fit for being President either. Apparetly in Ted Sampley's mind the only veteran worth a pot of piss is Ted Sampley. Here's a thought Ted, how about you go fuck yourself. This is one of those moments where I will gladly dishonor a veteran, if the only thing he can seem to do with his time is bitch and moan about the service of others. I'm sorry you deem John McCain's service not up to your illustrious standard, but as for me Ted, you can take your service and your Asshat award and get to stepping, preferably off of a ledge.

Funny thing is, I am not a John McCain supporter per se. I don't dislike him, I actually like a little something about all of the remaining candidates in the Presidential election and I believe any of the remaining four (no I am not including Ron Paul or Mike Gravel, because let's be honest, they both have no chance) would probably be better than what we currently have.and so I am really just enjoying the theater of how it all unfolds, who will get the Democratic nomination and will it be left to the superdelegates and how long is Mike Huckabee going to stay in and does his campaign get a boost now that Mitt Romney is out. I am enjoying watching the process play out, and with the writers still on strike, it is the most compelling television out there, certainly more so than watching fat people try to lose weight or hooking people up to a lie detector so we can embarrass them on TV.

I think I have written enough, besides, I am within 60 wins of getting the blackjack badge and I want to work on it a little more before going to get my work schedule and some cigarettes. So for now I bid you all a fond adieu.

10 comments:

  1. I dont read alot of blogs except if something catches my eye! MUG ME ON MONDAY worked! LoL I enjoyed your blog as i like reading about other people from other places and the stuff going on in their world , good or bad. I especially like blogs with photos, and the pic of the diner was a nice touch. Your penguins are doing pretty good this season even with crosby out hurt. Malkin seems to be stepping up nicely. My Redwings are on a rampage again this season and its a pretty safe bet that theyll take the presidents trophy...... and of course then get blown out of the playoffs in the 1st round by some crap team like they always seem to do when they come in 1st place in the league! Well hopefully you wont get the axe at work, maybe theyll give you a raise instead! LoL I hope everything works out for ya! Great Blog !

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Faints* Pepsi visited someone else's blog and was nice lmao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now..... im usually nice.....well sorta nice.....besides hes a hockey fan! LMFAO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote a long comment & it didn't stick....

    Glad you had a better brekkie experience.
    I was pissed to see that scavenger thing was only open to US residents & I think the valentines day one is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you finished your meal and you can enjoy the rest of the evening. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so now I have actually read the blog lol. Mate that sounds like an awesome brekky. Well worth the money. In fact since its morning here, you have managed to make me quite hungry although I think I will just settle for some toast with vegemite, a coffee and a ciggie lol. As for Pogo, well I have a long way to go on the Blackjack badge and haven't even attempted the others lol. I was in the other night but just just to speak to Donno in Hogway to Heaven. Enjoy the rest of your weekend mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pepsi - With the cost cutting going on, asking for a raise right now might be an invitation to be fired. Right now I am just trying to keep my head down and go about my business as unnoticed as possible. Usually I don't add pics to the blog, but I was adding links and went looking to see if I could find Tom's menu online, but all I found was restaurant reviews and that photo, so I took what I could get. As for the Pens, I was going to be content if they could play .500 hockey with Crosby and Fluery both out, they caught a break with Conklin playing like he has and Malkin has definitely stepped up his game. He netted goals 29 and 30 today. As for the Red Wings, I hope they continue to play well, I have Holmstrom and Datysuk both on my fantasy team.

    Vin - Breakfast was by far better this week than last, I may make it a regular excursion it was so good. I saw my schedule and I am off next saturday, so who knows. As an added plus, I had the typical old crotchedy lady waitress than should come standard with all diners and she stopped by to fill the coffee without me even asking, thus the +50% tip on the meal.

    Ebyjo - Both meals were awesome. I have a couple of skills in the kitchen, I just don't flaunt them on myself all that much, but good steak is hard to screw up anyway. About all I added to them was black pepper and seasoned salt.

    Lee - Breakfast was awesome, though they did have a bigger special called the Barn or something like that where you got ham, bacon and sausage and a couple of pancakes thrown in for good measure. As for the Pogo stuff, I just finished blackjack, what a pain that was but at least it is done now. I used to play it alot, so while I got the 200 wins, I only went up one level from 33 to 34. I used to play Hog Heaven Slots, but I got all of the badges in there, so now I just go if there is a challenge involved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a better brekkie than last week, and I too am gonna take forever with blackjack this week. Hope you're havin a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I finished the blackjack badge last nite, so I am good for the week. the bonus badge came with wallpaper, but worse was that it was wallpaper that I had already won. I am officially getting repeat crappy prizes in Pogo now. I also lied, I said I wouldn't be getting any additional badges, but I did manage to get the badge for level 20 in Quick Quack and level 30 in Keno Pop, so it has been 6 badges this week so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wtg Matt im on R47 in Keno but gonna concentrate on blackjack after I finally get to finishing friends blogs, due to computer being crazy havnt been on properly for 2 days its killed me lol

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been