Sunday, September 30, 2007

One more day

I suppose with this title, I could be talking about comic books, after all "One More Day" is the current Spiderman story arc. I don't know exactly what will come of it, I have heard rumors that Aunt May dies, I have also seen online some people saying that the story will conclude with the divorce/separation of Peter and Mary Jane. To e honest, I would rather just wait for the books to come out than spend time doing idle speculation. That means for now I will just await the conclusion of World War Hulk and continue to enjoy the story that is unfolding since the death of Captain America. The Fallen Son books were excellent, and for those that mock comic books, it was a prime reason that I read them. The books came out after the death of Captain America, and they dealt with his death by focusing on a hero or two and the stages of grief that follow death; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

So if not comic books, then why the title? Well, there is just one day left in the baseball season, and it is looking like I will hold onto the $30 that I was hoping to win back. With one day left, I still lead in wins (by 2), strikeouts (by 19) and stolen bases (by 6). The one I would most likely drop would be wins, but I have two pitchers throwing on Sunday so I like my odds. It is also week #4 of fantasy football, here is hoping I can do better in my league by getting another win, though according to our point spreads, I am not the favored team this week. Not that the point spreads mean anything, they are just on the page as a lark of sorts. Stats geeks love stats, so the more the page can provide them, the better.

It may be my last day at Subway also. I went in tonight and the first thing I saw as a note on the wall. The note was basically there to berate those of us who close, saying what hasn't been getting done and threatening to write us up or suspend us if it doesn't get done. Mind you, I haven't worked since Tuesday night, so I have no idea what has and hasn't gotten done in my absence, but if I am not doing my job, then just tell me. There really is no need to hang a sign up for the entire store to see calling out everyone who closes the store simply because some people haven't done their job properly. Well, signs such as these often deserve a retort, and I was of the gumption to provide one, so I wrote underneath it "If I am not doing my job, then fire me", so we will be finding out on Monday if I am still employed or not. Personally, I don't care either way, I don't hate the place, but I can make the same amount of money anywhere else I go, it is not like they are paying some exorbitant wage or anything.

I am trying to stay up all night tonight, simply because come tomorrow morning I get to play Leonard Nimoy and go "In Search of........Bus Stops". Pittsburgh is holding the Great Race tomorrow, which I think is a 10K race through the city, which means streets get blocked off and places I would normally catch my bus will be closed in lieu of people running. I would rather they tried to run in traffic, would make for a far more sporting endeavor, but my idea of entertainment isn't the norm, so instead I will be detoured.

Am I the only one who noticed that vegetarians envy us meat eaters? Think about if for a second. Vegetarian burgers, tofu turkey, it would seem that vegetarians want their food to resemble, as much as possible, meat. After all, when was the last time you ordered a cheesesteak and told the guy, make sure that looks like tofu. You wouldn't because tofu sucks and no meat eater wants their food resembling something they can't stand. If the non meat crowd really wants to be non meat, then quick faking it. Your thinly veiled disguises on non meat product resemble meat entrees aren't fooling anyone, they just show how much you really envy the meat eating crowd.

I have been working on pogo badges again this weekend. I did the three challenges that were offered and I have added to my Mix and Match album, purchasing three more badges with gems that I had bought. The album is complete when you win 20 badges in it. I did a Dice City Roller badge (place 2000 dice) and am now working on a Fortune Bingo badge (Win 10 games as the only one to call bingo). So far I am at 5. I am sure I will get it, I have two weeks to complete it.

Can't think of anything else new to report, other than I am back on Doug's show this coming Friday. I was actually quite pleased with this week's show as well, though I doubt some of the people who listened online got some of the jokes I made, especially the Cyril Wecht one, but that is what you get for not living here, sometimes you are just out of the loop. Actually, Doug and I had a very good conversation or two off of the air. First, he invited me back for this coming Friday, to which I said if I was off Friday night I would be available, turns out I am off Friday night, so I guess I am available. Then he said he liked having me on the show, which I thought might be the case, but still it is better to hear it from the host and not that he is just scrambling to fill a chair on the Group show. The thing is, Friday's are the day where he does Doug and the Group. The group is usually either friends of Doug or people who listen to his show and get selected when he asks for people for his Friday gig. well, I had never asked to be on the show, Doug asked me, I guess based on our brief stint doing mornings together. That being said, he keeps inviting me back, I would say I am the most boring person I know, after all I have no social life, but in that regard I think Doug and I are more similar than either of us would like to admit. Not that we don't go out in public, but the fun stuff is saved for on the air. Some people when they see a radio person on the street, or TV person for that matter, expect them to be "on" regardless of the day or time. When I am not in the studio doing the on air thing, I really don't like to live it. In that regard I guess there is a radio me and a real life me, and rare is it that the two meet. Another thing that kind of set me aback was while Doug and I were having a cigarette on Friday, he mentioned that when he got bumped back to afternoons, he had asked about bringing me with him. As it turns out, schedules there wouldn't permit it, Greg can't do early mornings and I was working a part time job in the afternoons, but it was a little ego boost knowing that someone actually desired my talents, let alone someone who has been in the business for 25+ years and that I listened to quite often even before I had the chance to work with.

Oh well, I better wrap this up, I may be making a coffee run if I plan to pull the all niter that looks to be in the offing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been