Tuesday, May 3, 2016

B365V3.16 - The most wonderful time of the year

This is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year. No, I am not talking Christmas, rather the time of year where the weather breaks, the drunken asshole contingent of Oakland gets diminished with the college students going home and with leases end, it's the season for dumpster diving, if that's your thing. We have the Stanley Cup playoffs taking place, a new Captain America movie is out. And here I am laid up with strep throat.

For four days now I am fighting this illness. Days of not being able to swallow without a medicinal cocktail of cough syrup and aspirin to numb the pain, otherwise swallowing anything is almost immediately followed with a gag reflex. Insert your own spit/swallow joke here. I thought I had beaten back the worst of it this evening, after work I came home and climbed into bed with a bowl of stuffed pepper soup. I was having no issues, my throat was okay, no pain in swallowing. But resting is a funny thing, it is like adding a new coat of paint to a used car, it may look better but it is the same car. I got up to walk to the corner store to get some iced tea for the apartment. As soon as I got outside and started walking I could feel the raspiness returning to my throat. At least I could cough with much less pain. So perhaps there has been some improvement.

The thing is the 4 days I have been sick have been 4 work days. I thought I was going to get a respite on Sunday, until I looked at the calendar at work Saturday and saw that Saturday was the last day of April. Because our financial paperwork has to be filed by month, I had to go in on Sunday, May 1st and close out the sales for April. It is much harder to convince yourself that extra hours for next years vacation are a good thing when you don't even feel like climbing out of bed.

I am just hoping I have this thing kicked by Thursday, I Fandangoed a ticket for the new Captain America movie, so I could guarantee myself one before trekking over to The Waterfront after work. I just don't want to be sitting there all miserable and stuff, just want to have a nice dinner and movie. #itsmyyear after all, can't be having strep throat wreck it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been