Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The last Sexican

The writing was on the wall, or at least the door for a few months now. The name of the restaurant two doors down from where I worked changed, gone was the name “Mexico City” and in it's places was “Vicky's Mexican Restaurant”. The menu didn't change, nor did the staff that worked there, only the name changed. I can't speak as to the quality of food, OI never actually ate there, but whether it was good or bad I can't see where that changed very much either since they kept all of the staff on board. Usually this is a sign, and not a good one, one that suggests an attempt to dodge creditors or existing debts. But continuing to do the same thing, under any name, when that thing wasn't working in the past does not bode well for a business's future.



Such was the case on Monday morning, I got to work and was so caught up in all of the things I had going on that I didn't even notice what had happened next door until Sammy told me near the end of our shift. “Vicky's” closed. The door had a No Trespassing sign on it, the windows were covered in brown paper and the doors were locked.


Like I said, I wasn't a patron of the restaurant, so I will not be missing the food, or the atmosphere but with the closing of the restaurant I did lose another of the cast of characters that have made up my downtown routine. Gone already were Jesus on a Stick Guy, Fucking Chicken Lady and now with the closing of “Vicky's”, the Sexican is gone as well.


“Vicky's” as best as I could tell, was owned and operated by one family of either Mexican or at least Latin American heritage and often come over to our store to pick up things for their place; ice, sodas, coffee, etc. Sometimes Vicky would be the one to come over, sometimes it would be one of the cooks, and usually once a day over would come the Sexican. She was a cute brunette, usually her hair would be up in some sort of half bun, pony tail type of thing, some light reddish blush would be on her cheeks and she would be wearing the standard uniform, of white shirt, black pants and dark shoes. Catch her outside of work and her clothes would be more fashionable, and no matter what she wore, jeans, or capri pants; blouse or a t shirt, with or without her sunglasses, her ensemble would be set off with pink shoes.


I can't say as I ever talked to her, I couldn't even tell you her name, at most we ,might say “Hi” to each other if she came in the store, but Sammy and I would always ask each other if the Sexican had stopped by yet today, it was one of those things you look forward to in the day, like the first cup of coffee in the morning, and now, like Jesus on a Stick Guy, and Fucking Chicken Lady, the Sexican is gone as well.. My life is like a bad B horror flick, and all of the characters are disappearing. Wonder who is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been