Monday, February 5, 2007

Paris Hilton would say "That's hot", I would say, "No, it's not."

Well, the new change meter total is now a resounding $11.76 and with that bit of information, we once again start a new blog. Things have been a tad bit hectic around these parts, some of it good, other parts bad. Rather than try to divvy things up into columns, I will just blurt stuff out and see what comes of it.

First, I did go about fixing the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie trailer I posted previously. The original place I got it from Youtube made it private, so I could no longer access it from my page, therefore I went back and found a new posting of it and reembedded it on the page. I did not redo the cartoon episode, which Youtube yanked for some reason, maybe some other day when I have time I will find a new episode to post. Those of you that didn't see it, sorry bout that, those that did are probably sorry they can't get those ten minutes of their life back.

Speaking of ATHF, Boston is the winner in Asshat of the Week for their delayed response in shutting down the city over the advertising campaign for the cartoon that consisted of hanging light signs with one of the Mooninites on it. Let's forget for a fact that the signs were also hanging in about ten other cities with nary a peep from them, and lets also forget that not only did the city of Boston treat one of the objects as a potential bomb, they repeated the process another 7 times before finally getting a clue, they then had the nerve to charge the two people involved in hanging the signs with planting a hoax device. Legally, you have to prove then there was intent to deceive the public into believing these were in fact explosives of some sort, as opposed to the advertising campaign that they were. If you want to charge them for illegally hanging advertisements, that is one thing, but the only people that started a panic here were the responders in Boston themselves. Worse, had these actually have been the explosive devices that Boston thought they were, the fact the signs had been hanging for about two weeks would lead one to believe that Boston's first response was both late and overblown. I am inclined to mail the City of Boston the Asshat of the Week, but knowing Boston, it would probably be perceived as a letter bomb and would shut down the city again for another day.

In the world of hockey, lots of good things to report, both professionally and fantasy-wise. The Penguins have registered points in their last ten games (winning 8, losing two in overtime) to move into 6th place in the playoff seedings. While the Penguins will never make Pittsburghers forget the Steelers round these parts, I am happily enjoying what may turn out to be a very pleasant season for the young Pens. Sidney Crosby in only his second season leads the league in scoring, Evgeni Malkin leads all rookies in scoring, Mark Recchi has been having a very good year, recently just registering his 500th career goal, and Marc Andre Fleury has been starting to look like the #1 pick the Penguins thought he might be, registering 2 shutouts in a three game span last week. On the fantasy front, as of last Friday, I have all of my injured players back with the return of Jerome Iginla and the sudden return to health of my entire roster saw me go 7-3-0 last week and move into third place, only 1 pt out of second in the standings. Overall I am now 93-65-22 for the year and while no one has clinched a playoff spot yet, I am certainly liking my chances at this point of being one of the top 6 teams.

I watched the Super Bowl at Rich's house Sunday. It was the culmination of a long weekend for me where I worked Friday morning from 9am-1pm at the radio station, then left to go cash my paycheck and hit the eye doctors by 3pm, then back to the part time job for a 5pm-10pm shift followed by Saturday night at my part time job from 4pm till 1am, then I went across the street to the radio statio to start my production work for Sunday and I worked until about 7am before putting my head down on the loveseat for a few minutes. I thought I might catnap until 10:30am or so, but by 8:30am I was nudged awake and it was back to the grind, trying to find out why the studio monitors were getting odd feedback in them. After that, I finished up my production work, cut a new promo, and made sure the station was running properly in automation before leaving work around 12:30pm into the bitter cold that is passing for weather these days. (I say bitter cold because Monday when I got to work it was -2 outside, this morning it was -3, which is quite cold enough thank you) I got home and hopped into the shower and then left to go a visitin' as some folk'll might say, just not me because I'm not a redneck. I had to make a stop along the way, so I opted to bus it over to Rich's place, truth be told it is probably quicker to walk, because the bus is a very roundabout trip, and even after deboarding the bus, it is still a healthy walk, but since my errand involved passing the bus stop, I opted for the public transportation route. We hung out and watched about the very very end of the hockey game, it was on for less than a minute before Montreal scored the game winning goal in overtime to win 4-3, then it was some crappy women's basketball which we paid no attention to. I say crappy because it took like 45 minutes to play the last 1:51 of game time. The process went something like this, Cal was playing Stanford and winning by 8 pts. Stanford comes down the court and misses a shot, followed by a foul on a Cal player, which takes us to the other end of the court where Cal proceeds to miss two foul shots. Wash, rinse repeat and you get the idea of how bad it was. I am going to pass on a little advice to TV executives right now, guys watch womens sports first because the chicks are hot, second because it is a sport they enjoy watching being played at a decent level. Putting ten non attractive females on a basketball court to miss shots on a consistent basis is not a good marketing idea. Don't believe me, go check out the TV numbers for the WNBA and get back to me on that. The major accomplishment in that league is that a woman has dunked a basketball 3 times. Not in a game. Not in a season. Ever. So the crowning achievement in the WNBA is something that happens about every 3-4 minutes in the NBA.

Not to be outdone, the Super Bowl was equally awful. Sloppy play and bad commercials made me wonder why I was sitting through it. I like football when it is played well, and 8 turnovers is not well played football. I did think the halftime show was decent, and that is saying something. It used to be that everyone would run some gimmick programming during halftime, where they would tell you to come check us out and go back to the game when we are done. Some networks would run an abbreviated comedy, at one point there was professional wrestling on, and I think they had women playing flag football in lingiere on pay per view, all kinds of stuff that would end in time for you to catch the second half, so imagine the surprise this year when the halftime show was the best thing about the whole game.

After the game we BSed some more then I figured I better head home and Rich's wife Cindy offered me a ride, given the coldness of the evening I accepted and proceeded to take my first half gainer of winter when I grabbed the door handle and opened the door and slid right onto my ass in the street. The odd thing is, I almost never fall in winter, something about my bowling ball physique I guess where even if I did fall, could you tell, or would I just roll away, but there I was laying in the street on my ass laughing while the wind chill of about 30 below was continuing to make things very brisk.

Once I got home, I thought I would start working on the Joe Random stuff I was scribing about previously by creating Joe Random and playing the first Spring Training game for Tampa Bay. I picked Tampa because they stink, so I figured that if I created a guy, his best chance of making a major league roster would be there but in the Career Mode of the game, you don't manage the team, so you don't determine who does and doesn't start, and as it turns out, Joe didn't start, so while I won the game 3-2, Joe got no playing time. That was something I had hoped to correct by sneaking in a game yesterday after work, I had a 5am-12:30pm at the station, then went to pay my phone bill, came back to the station for a 2pm-3:30pm then off to the part time job for 4pm-10pm. I thought when I got home I could just throw something in the microwave and slide a game in before bed. Fat chance of that happening, when I got home the power was out. Apparently a transformer or something blew, so I was in the dark literally, save for some candles I had lit. But then I didn't want to go to sleep and burn my house down, so I stayed up until the electricity came back on, around 1:45am, which was too late for me, since I had to be back up at 4am for work today. Maybe tonight I will have some more Randomness for the blog, but for now nothing to report.

Well I could prattle on and on, but I would like to get something done today, so I will stop here. Just a reminder, only 17 shopping days until my next TV appearance and all gifts are indeed welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been