Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Well, I did say I would do one of these

I guess if I am going to blog some original content, it is always best to begin at the beginning, with the update portion of the blog. Let's see, I am still single, working two jobs.........wait, I know that isn't what was meant, so instead we will go to the all important updates.

The hockey All Star break has passed and I got two of my three players back, JS Giguere and J Speeza have both been playing again, which can only help me. Because of the break, we had an abbreviated week, I finished it 4-4-2 and remain in 4th place, though I did pick up two points on third. For the season, my record is now 86-62-22 and good for 194pts, which is one point out of third place and just 5 out of second.

Add another 41 cents to the change meter, new total is now $11.64. I wish it were higher, I could use the cash something fierce right about now. I have to replace my glasses, one of the legs broke and I am overdue for an exam anyway, but this tape job I have going on to keep them together for the next day or so means that should they stay together, I will qualify for the Boy Scout Geek Merit badge.

Thankfully today's radio show went well. I have been carrying a certain amount of bitterness recently, and it was nice to have things go smooth and sound professional for a change. It just seemed the last few days we had been scrambling for things to talk about. Between Joe Biden's comments and the Boston/Aqua Teen Hunger Force thing (how many times do I have to tell you we are ahead of the curve here before you believe me anyway) it was an easy and fun show to do. Lest we forget, the city of Boston now takes giant leaps forward in being the next Asshat winner. for those that didn't catch the video in a previous blog, You Tube pulled it, so you will have to find ATHF highlights all on your own. I would suggest either Youtube or stopping by www.adultswim.com to get your fix. Leslie, for the record, I am not a huge fan of Adult Swim, of course I like ATHF and Family Guy is good as well, and I can even sit through Futurama, but once they start the Anime, I tune out. Something about everyone looking like Speed Racer just does nothing for me. I am not one of those artsy folks when it comes to cartoons, alot of that stuff looks exactly the same to me, and the plots are rather boring to be honest. When I sit down to a cartoon, I am looking to just kill a few brain cells and maybe get a chuckle or two, Anime takes itself way to seriously for my tastes and the art is so similar as to be the Japanese form of Disney.

I was planning on sitting down and blogging last night, but after an afternoon nap I sat down at the computer and was prepared to blog and watch hockey on yahoo at the same time, but I couldn't get the streaming to work on yahoo, so I got frustrated and just left it go. It's a shame really, because the Penguins have been playing some really good hockey as of late, winning 6 of their last 7 games to actually move into a playoff spot, now the question of can they hold it remains to be seen, but they have certainly been a pleasant surprise on the Pittsburgh sports scene. Between them and the Pitt Mens Basketball team (ranked #9) I can get by without the Steelers. Mind you most Pittsburghers can't, it is football or nothing around here, but Pitt winning 20 games for the 6th consecutive year is something that often get overlooked here. (They are currently 20-3, with two of those losses coming in overtime @ Oklahoma State and home against Marquette.)

As I type this, I am wondering what exactly I am going to have for dinner. I am leaning toward chicken parmesan with angel hair pasta, but in order to make that, I would have to get up off my ass, something that is easier said than done on days where I only work one job. I am like a camel in that regard, I conserve my energy for the days where I will most likely need it, like tomorrow when I have to work, go to my eye appointment, then go back to the other job.

I would have done a Joe Random update, but I haven't started playing the game too much yet. I have tinkered with it, but once I dug out the PS2 games, I was brought back to the world of all of the distractions that can occupy my time if I let them, such as this. I was actually hard on blogging again on the radio show this week, which is funny because we have mentioned that I do blog (though how well is obviously open to debate). We have sort of a blog war going on in Pittsburgh, where radio talk host and columnist for the City Paper John McIntyre mentioned our current mayor had a run in with police officers back in 2005 outside Heinz Field before a Steelers game. Mind you the current mayor was a city councilman at the time, but since becoming mayor, John has been frequent with his criticisms of him and is a supporter of he opponent in the upcoming mayoral election. After wasting a couple days and a few inches of column space with what happened, the newspapers seemed to be letting the story go, with not much there to tell, except one of the mayor's supporters on city council then started a blog page so he could criticize John, and the mayor's opponent in the coming election. It all is very childish to be quite honest, but nonetheless, the topic of blogging came up on the show, to which I said most blogs aren't worth much of anything, mine included, and that unless you had an interest in any of the parties involved, this meant less than nothing to you. The blogosphere is replete with nonsense and most blogs are just preaching to a choir of people that already support them on one issue or another. much was made of how some political candidates are first now announcing their candidacy on Youtube or their web page to which I say, who goes to those pages besides the supporters of the candidates anyway? If I am sitting at home trying to pay the bills, one of the last things on my agenda would be "Did John Edwards say he was running for President today on You Tube?" I like John Edwards and I like You Tube, but I am not going to spend my Tubing time looking for John Edwards. One person emailed the show and said that by blogging, they have become a better writer. That very well may be true, and far be it from me to say people shouldn't have outlets to their time, things that bring them pleasure. Some people like to knit, some like video games, some just sit in front of a TV, those are all outlets with varying forms of creative input behind them, but let's not overblow the significance of what it is that we are actually doing, which is burning off time on a pursuit that by and large is meaningless. I am all for people finding ways to entertain themselves, outlets are nice in that they let us escape our lives for a little while, but let's not pretend that we are more important than what we are. We aren't exactly curing cancer here. I have thousands of times more respect for people that do things versus people that blog about doing things.

Well, now that I have irked the reading audience with that little diatribe, I guess it is time to continue, who knows, maybe I will upset more people before I am done.

I should make mention of the anti-war rally in DC this past weekend. We can all do the Wayback Machine thing here and relive my stance on the war, a supporter of it but not for the reasons the President mentioned, so if he is out there on a 28% popularity trip, I have to be floating at about 15% or so. Mind you I can't defend the actions of some people during the conflict, nor the planning of it, and I certainly have not defending the actual reasoning for it. That being said, it was good to see the rally on Saturday, because, by and large, it is what is best about this country. Not the name calling, or the notion of having to win the argument at all costs, it was just a fairly peaceable rally, the type of thing we should take pride in being able to do in this country, because there are far too few places on the globe that would let that happen. At the end of the day, we can all argue about who believes in what and why they should or shouldn't think that way, but it is moments like that, where even some people I don't agree with, have a seat at the table, that yes, I am proud to be an American and all that entails.

Sorry, had to check on the hockey game. The bad thing about having no money is I couldn't go to the game tonight. I would have liked to went to see the Pens play Montreal, but finances just didn't permit it. Maybe next time, though I imagine I will be poor for quite some time, it is something that I am relatively good at being.

Well, time to do another wrap up on this end, dinner is halfway done, and I might want to pay attention to it. Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been