Saturday, December 30, 2006

Getting out while the getting is good


It looks like vacation is coming to a close round these parts. Mind you, I ended up working on some of my vacation, I didn't take the entire week off at the part time job and even as I type this, I am at the radio station pulling another overnight shift, even though I am still on vacation. There was just too much work lying around that I needed to catch up on that I felt i should probably get an early crack at it.
I finished the visit with the family on Wednesday morning, right before a "family meeting", which is another term for everyone getting together to complain about each other. That is one of those thanks but no thanks moments that I didn't want to be part of, so instead I came home and relaxed in the confines of my apartment for a couple of days. The meeting was about my grandparents house and what is to be done with it. Since my grandfather passed away earlier this year, everyone has been wondering (well not everyone, I wasn't but you get the drift) what would happen to their home when my grandmother passed away. For whatever reason she doesn't have a will and even if she did, it would be hard to divvy up the house amongst her 5 kids. So the debate raged on, who would get the house and whether it should be kept in the family or sold outright and the proceeds split evenly 5 ways. To me, while this is a practical discussion to have, it is also a little like the vultures circling overhead. I understand that to leave the house behind with no plan in place would create a legal dilemma and to leave it to one of the kids would piss off the other 4, but it wasn't a decision that I was to be part of and I would rather not spend my holiday worrying about everyone's better or worse natures, that isn't what I went home for. I went home for the cooler moments, like those I photographed and would rather have my memories of the holiday go untainted.
I would like to say I dug up an asshat winner, but I was on vacation and that was one of the furthest things from my mind. I guess it gives me a project this evening before I go to bed.
Before I forget, we added a couple of new people to the friends list, so everyone feel free to stop by their pages and vice versa. Mine is probably the least interesting of the bunch here, so if anything, just use this page as a stepping stone onto bigger and better things.
I did get my ten year certificate at work, and with it I got a prize catalog that I get to pick a gift from. I got one of these after 5 years also, when I picked a leather duffel bag. I haven't decided what i will get this year, it is down to a couple of items. I don't know if I want the new set of flatware or the atomic alarm clock, though I am leaning towards flatware, being the practical guy I am and all that jazz.
I did stay relatively ignorant during the holiday, which is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I read a few newspapers but overall I was content to block the news out as much as possible. Instead I buried my nose in books, and watched West Wing episodes (I watched the entire season I got already) and just did mindless things. It was interesting to see Gerald Ford get reinvented over the holiday. This is why I am not quick to judge how history will remember President Bush. Sure he seems incompetent now and there would be plenty of evidence to back that statement up, but in President Ford you had a man that was never elected to the office, and lost to Jimmy Carter when he did run, due in large part to his pardoning of President Nixon. yet the history that is be played out before us is how Ford healed a broken nation. Certainly not the image he would have had 30 years ago. Likewise, it is hard to predict what the world will look like 30 years hence, and therefore, while it is easy to criticize the current President (anyone who reads this knows I have done it enough), history's judgment could end up being quite different.
I think I am going to go blow my Walmart gift card today, might as well spoil myself while I can. I dropped about $40 off of my Best Buy card the other day, buying a movie, a new PS2 controller and a CD, but I still have plenty of coin left on it, so maybe I will venture back there Friday night if I have nothing else planned.
I did take in the new Rocky movie. It was okay, nothing phenomenal, but certainly better than some other efforts in the series, and at least they put him in the ring with a real boxer this time, so that while his boxing skills still lack considerably, and least his opponent made the fight scenes semi believable.
Well, time for me to bounce kids. I have stuff I need to throw together before I get out of here, and I have been up for 20 hrs straight, so much for vacation I guess. I would say don't eat the yellow snow, but global warming is solving that problem quite nicely, since we still don't have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been