Wednesday, February 1, 2017

B365V4.3 - Of Mice and (almost) Men

     Once again I guess I should regale you all with a story.  Well, maybe I should and maybe I shouldn't but it's my keyboard so I call the shots here.

     I should start by saying apparently we have mice at work.  Not for sale or anything, but mice nonetheless.  Upon spotting one of the nasty critters, we called our exterminator to come in and do a once over on the place.  He did his poking and prodding, couldn't find a nest or anything (yay to that) and suggested that they are probably coming in from outside to where it is warm.  So he did a couple of the trap things and what not and within a couple of days we had caught two of them.  apparently he must think like a mouse or something. to nab two of them that quickly.  Truth be told, rpior to the exterimator's visit we had seen two, so part of me was thinking, hey, problem solved.

       So I am sitting at my desk Thursday, Brian is walking an insurance adjustor around the building, I am busy doing my thing in my half of the office.  If work was like one of those 70s comedy episodes where the roommates don't get along and split the apartment in half, the divining line would not be down the middle of the office but would be front half and back half as Brian works (if you can call it that) at his desk in the back of the office, my desk as well as the back office computer are in the front half of the office, the only time I use the back of the office is when I am working alone and feeling all Godfather-y, forcing people to walk the length of the office to beseech me for favors and what not.

      My desk sits against one wall, the back office computer sits all catawampus from my desk, on a desk against the opposite wall.  Since my desk chair ahs wheels on it, I usually just roll back and forth between the two.  So as I am at the computer desk, I look over toward my desk and I see something under it.  At first I can't quite make it out, but as my eyes begin to focus on the shape I realize that it is a mouse.  A pretty ballsy one two, sitting there on all fours, not moving, almost like he is watching me work. 

     While this mosue is looking pretty brave, I am not.  I don't like mice or rats, and while i am sure there are brave people out there who would have just went over and caught it, or stomped on its head and killed it, I am not one of those people.  So I take a small piece of cardboard near me and throw it under my desk to scare him off.  He just sits there, almost taunting me, but does not move at all.  My next attempt to get him to move, I shoot a rubber band under my desk.   The rubber band zips over his head, hits a shopping basket behind him that is also under my desk and bounces off, landing right beside him.   He still doen't move.

     At this point I get up out of my chair and start to approach him.  I stomp my foot beside my desk, he still doesn't move.  The Dr McCoy in my mind starts saying "I think he's dead Jim", but I still don't want to touch him, so I go looking for a broom, and a small box or something to put him in.   I find the needed tools and sweep him into a a soda case box, then drop him in a bag and exit the office.  Suddenly the mouse's plan came to mind, how I can get away from my desk and get out of the office, all I have to do is die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been