Saturday, May 8, 2010

Swagbucks - The tutorial

Some of you have noticed that from time to time I will post a link because I won Swagbucks, a little internet thingy (don't you just love the scientific terms I use) that I have been using for a few months now to get free junk, usually I opt for the $5 Amazon gift card, because they are stackable (you can use more than one) and that you can add them to your account to use at a later date, thus building an actual account balance with Amazon, though there are many prizes and sweepstakes entries that can be gotten from the Swagstore.

There are tricks that can be done to earn more Swagbucks, and thereby, more prizes, and since I just picked up a new referral the other day, I figured it would be a good time to explain some of them.

Swagbucks come from four major sources; searches, codes, referrals and special offers.  I will try to break them down to the best of my ability so you too may be able to join in the fun (if you so wish).

Searches - Sometimes you will earn Swagbucks simply by searching for something on the internet, provided that you use the Swagbucks search engine.  This is probably the most profitable way to gain bucks.  The easiest method is to install the Swagbucks toolbar, which has a search feature right on it.  On the minus side it is not as good as a regular search engine, and I admit that when doing specific reasearch at my computer I am more than likely going to use something like Google, but when I am looking to visit a website, say Facebook or even Multiply, rather than use the address bar I will just type in the word into the toolbar and usually the link I want is within the first couple of hits, plus I have the chance of winning bucks as well, so I am having a chance at being rewarded for a website that I was going to visit anyway.  Sure, but how much have I really won?  To date that would be 4725 bucks, just from searches.

Codes - This is sort of a scavenger hunt that Swagbucks does from time to time, they will issue a code someplace on their page and if you find it and enter it in on the home page you are rewarded with more bucks.  Codes are usually found in the Swagstore, on the blog, on the Facebook page or on the Twitter feed, though when they are issued there are usually clues about how to gte them, and the clues are usually found in either the inbox on the toolbar (another reason to have the tool bar) or in the Swidget, a tool that can be installed on most social networking platforms (though not Myspace, suck it Myspace lackeys) and with a simple click of the mouse can tell you if there is a code currently available and how to get it.  While not as profitable as searches, they too can add up, I have pulled an additional 1624 bucks from codes to this point.

Referrals - Another trick to earning Swagbucks is by collecting referrals, that is people who start using the service because you got the to sign up.  Anyone who joins is given a referral link that they can use to gte others to sign up, like mine here (http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mattpritt) or by adding a banner to their page (I have one to the right of my blog entries) and for every person that signs up you receive a buck for every buck they earn, up to 1000 bucks.  I admit my referrals aren't very good, I have 6 now and only one started earning bucks but I know plenty of people that have dozens of referrals and their accounts have exploded accordingly. 

Special Offers (and some other junk) - Of course one of the ways that a site like this stays open is that they pitch potential clients to advertisers, it is the way of the world.  Not that you have to buy anything in order to win bucks, but there are plenty of offers there and one of them may catch your eye.  For me, it was Mother's Day.  I knew I was going to buy flowers for my mom, turns out there was a special offer from Proflowers.com on the website, I used it and picked up an additional 700 bucks.  There are plenty of offers to choose from, from the simple (watch a video, get three bucks) to the more expensive and rewarding offers (sign up for a year of Direct TV at 50% off, get 9975 bucks).  There are also some freebies thrown in daily, such as vote in the daily poll for a buck, refresh the toolbar once a day (1-3 bucks, resets at 1am EDT), skip through the no obligation offers (1-3 bucks daily, also resets at 1am EDT).

On average I managed to earn about 40 or so bucks a day, not great, there are others that do much better than me, but it means roughly every two weeks I am cashing out for at least another $5 on Amazon, though the Amazon gift card is just my personal preferred gift, there are certainly others like the Wii w/Wii Sports (48.900 bucks) for those that like to say up for bigger and better prizes. 

Anyway, I thought and explanation was in order to help elaborate on what it is all of those annoying posts were about and now you know, and knowing is half the battle.  GI Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been