Sunday, June 28, 2009

Vacation Day 1 or 2 or 3 or 4

Greetings and salutations and all that jazz.  Since I am on vacation, I really didn't plan to blog. That thought was compounded when my mother said that her home computer blew up, which could mean anything from it actually blowing up to something simple like it being unplugged.  That being said, I hardly felt like being Mr. Fix It while off, so whatever is wrong with it will be a problem that someone else will have to deal with.  Sans computer one may wonder how this blog came to be.  Well trudge on fearless reader, and learn the answers to this and many more probing questions.

Technically my vacation started on Friday, but it wasn't much of a day off.  Actually it wasn't a day off at all, but it ended up being more painful than it should have been.  Friday is the big delivery day at work, we get a Pepsi truck, a Coke truck and usually a grocery order as well.  This means that I am involved in catching the first two trucks and helping put them away, checking in the majority of the grocery order and helping to put that away as well.  Plus I have been handed new found responsibilities, as I am now in charge of inventorying the cigarettes three times a week and putting together a candy order also three times a week, both of which just happen to include Friday as one of those days.  So, under the most normal of circumstances Friday is a busy day for me.  To make this Friday even better, my crew (technically I am now in charge of the stock room people when I am on duty, woohoo more work) consisted of me and one other guy, Gray, who is actually pretty cool and I like working with him, but for reasons known to others higher up the pay scale, they pulled him out and sent him to another store on Friday, which meant all of the above stuff that was listed plus the simple things like, I don't know, making sure the shelves were stocked and we didn't run out of anything, fell solely on my shoulders for the entire day.  Needless to say, I ended up running my ass off.

After work I still had to come home, doing a load of laundry and pack for the trip home, all of which I managed to accomplish in less than three hours (go me and all that jazz) before my mom showed up to start my weekend adventure.

Through the course home I found out that my mom had the anti green thumb on all things technical, as she told me about the computer and apparently the satellite dish for the TV is on the fritz as well, so no TV while I am at home.  Not that a lack of TV is bad, I probably save a few brain cells in that transaction, but still it left me wondering just what I would do for mindless entertainment during my down times.

We stopped to eat on the way back through at a place called Dobros.  It isn't much too look at and even less food wise, It is okay and little more than that, but mom wanted to buy dinner, so I tagged along and at least covered the tip.  Next stop before we would make it back was a quick stop to say hi to my grandma, who was actually sleeping in her chair in the living room when we arrived, with the Tv still blaring on.  I would have been content to just let her sleep, but my mom nudged her awake, so we stayed and chatted for about 45 minutes, then it was back into the car for some late night grocery shopping for the coming weekend.  Two events were planned, one was a trip to DelGrosso park on Saturday and a family picnic/getogether on Sunday, both of which require food of some sort.  I asked what I should bring to the park and was told I didn't have to bring anything, but since it was a picnic type setting, I at least grabbed a few bags of chips to go with the sandwiches and what not that we were going to have.  For Sunday, I was planning on making spinach dip and a veggie tray (I should have just campus fooded it, FB users will get that joke), regardless, it meant I had to do some shopping for both. 

Finally, somewhere around 10;30pm we got in, and after a little chatting, mom and I called it a night.

Saturday was the day at DelGrosso park.  DelGrosso park is a small amusement park in Tipton, PA and was established by the DelGrosso family, whose major claim to fame is spaghetti sauces (www.delgrossosauce.com).  It is not the only park in PA to be named after food, the most famous of course being Hershey Park, but there have been others, such as Boyertown.  Anyway, the last Saturday in June, my uncle Bud offers to pay for anyone who wants to go to the park and it becomes a family outing of sorts.  This was my first trip, my mom opted to stay home so she could help with setting up the stuff for Sunday, so I ended up riding to the park with Bud, his wife Carrie and my cousin Melanie, who is back from Dallas Texas on a vacation.  All was good on the ride to the park until we found out that the cars brakes were dying.  A little geography lesson is in order here, as what cuts through this region of Pennsylvania is something known as the Appalachian Mountains.  Eastern PA is flat, and if you go west into Ohio is also levels out quite nicely, but in the central west portion of the state, it is very hilly to be polite.  And here we were, going up and down these rather large hills in a car that may or may not be able to stop.  We made it to the park in one piece, due in large part to not needing to make any sudden stops, as those would have been an impossibility had they occurred.

The park is unique in that you can get into the park for free, you only have to pay money if you are going to ride the rides.  They have a picnic area where you can set up so in theory you can go to the park and walk around all day and never spend a dime, but Bud does this as a family outing and offers to pay for everyone, we just have to show up and bring stuff to eat and make a day of it, parking and eating and eating and parking.  Mostly we watch the smaller kids ride the rides, though they do have some bigger rides that I partook of a little bit.  They also have some games and what not in the park, I won a couple of stuffed items, a banana and a guitar that I gave away, I think I have enough stuff in my apartment already.

Of course that still meant we had to manage the ride back from the park, and while we did get some more break fluid, the leak in the break line got progressively worse, so bad that the breaks were all but gone by the time we made it back to Bud and Carrie's.  We put the car up on jacks and I pressed the break pedal while Bud looked under the car to see the damage and brake fluid just poured out.    We called my mom, who came out to pick me up rather than try to make it back to her place with the car in that condition.    So I did a little visiting instead and after my mom showed up and we bs-ed even more I headed home, making it back around 11pm.  Of course I still had my spinach dip to throw together for the family outing the next day.

I should note that I took some time off in putting this entry together, and some things that I thought were happening were actually different.  In the attempt to maintain timeline continuity however, I will try to keep them in line as much as possible.  Right now I am technically home from vacation having made it back to Pittsburgh a couple of hours ago.  As for how I was able to blog from home earlier while the computer was on the fritz, my laptop actually managed to garner a really good signal from someplace, a far better signal than I can steal in my apartment, so I was piggybacking on somebody's internet, but I have no idea who's it was.  Okay, back to the story.

We got home Saturday night and I started the spinach dip.  It is really easy to make, just a matter of mixing the ingredients.  Chopping the veggies was more work than the actual dip, and carving the pumpernickel loaf, but the dip itself was pretty easy.  My mom told me about her day while making potato salad, as she didn't go to the park but went to help my aunt Mary set up at her house for the family getogether on Sunday, and she called the satellite TV people to see if they could fix the dish.  That didn't go so well, it still didn't work but since we had stuff to do it wasn't like a lack of TV was a bad thing, plus it probably saved a few brain cells.  After finishing up in the kitchen I headed off to bed for the night.

Sunday morning I was up fairly early, which really wasn't called for, we weren't to see the family until 1pm or so.  I grabbed me some coffee, bagels and cigarettes to greet the day.  On a hunch I happened to turn on the TV, I figured I would see what was tried with the satellite people the day before and after breezing through a couple of menus and resetting the receiver I made the TV functional again.  Go me, I am that good.  Mom left for a bit to run some errands and get a Sunday paper, I just sat around and played on my laptop, getting into a discussion on a friends Facebook page regarding whether or not it was appropriate to talk about the allegations of pedophilia with Michael Jackson in lieu of his death, I was a yes guy, many of the others were a no vote, which hogged up a good portion of my morning, enough so that I didn't realize how long my mom was gone, which would have been a clue as to what was in store.

Anyway, she made it back and we watched part of an episode of that show that is on all the cable channels, Law and Order and we packed the car and headed out to the picnic.  We arrived what I would call fashionably late, around 15 minutes or so afterward and proceeded to unload the car and helped set up the tables so people could grab stuff to eat.  We had loads of food, burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, taco salad, chips, veggies, dip (including my veggie dip), grape salad, cookies, just all kinds of wholesome goodness, plus beverages galore, though I gravitated to the run with pineapple juice like the proverbial moth to a flame.

Then the surprise came.  as well as being a family picnic this was also a surprise birthday party for me.  To say I was floored would be a mild understatement.  That was why my mom didn't make it to the park the day before, and why she ran errands that morning, she was picking up the birthday cake.  I literally had no clue.  Mind you, I didn't get any cards around my birthday, but I chalked that up to two factors, 1) by and large I never really had a huge birthday party previously and 2) I am now 40 years old, after a while you just don't make a big deal out of it.  yet here it was and i had absolutely no idea it was coming.  Yet it happened.  And we have visual evidence....

 

 

 

My mom was upset, I guess the balloons were supposed to be colored, but marble cake with vanilla icing and black lettering and balloons was cool with me.  Like I said, I expected nothing, so it was awesome as far as I knew.  Add that to all of the funny cards I received and it may have been the bestest day I ever had.  We stayed until around 9 or so, just eating and swimming and playing games and having a good time, which I tend to do when spending time with family,  Still, I am in awe of how everyone was ab;le to keep everything quiet, not that I am the most attentive of people, but usually someone slips up somewhere, yet I caught nary a peep that this would happen. 

We made it back home and after a little TV, two days of non stop running and I wa out like a light.

Finally we come to today, which was the easiest to talk about as I got up, had my coffee and started gathering my things for the long trip back.  We ran out and put gas in the car, then made a stop at Ponderosa  for lunch and made the journey back to Pittsburgh, where I am currently.  I will admit, after this weekend, it would have been very easy to just stay at home, but I guess it is time to return to the daily grind and so I shall, it just won't be easy.

9 comments:

  1. The car trip with no brakes sounded hairy, glad to hear you made it back alive.

    wtg mom for pulling off the surprise party without you finding out about it. The cake looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a couple of pieces in the fridge, trying not to spoil myself too much by cramming iot into my maw all at once. I finally got rid of the last of the spinach dip today at work, it wasn't bad, but I made a double batch which was more than enough as it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a cream cheese & spinach dip? I have a version of that which is always a hit at a pot luck dinner or BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine they are similar, though I used sour cream, not cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the extra responsibilities at work came with extra re-numeration.

    btw tell your mom the cake looked very classy with the black & white icing. I think if the balloons were coloured it wouldn't look so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the cake, she was all panicky about it. She was saying how the Wal Mart bakery screwed up, if they did I wish they would do that more often because it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your version sounds better for the waistline than mine lol

    hmmm the quote thingee isn't working today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is relatively simple, all you need is 4 things, a 10 oz box of frozen spinach thawed and drained, 8 oz of sour cream, 1 cup mayo and one packet of either dried onion or dried vegetable soup mix and mix them all in a bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours. I got a little more creative with mine and hollowed out some pumpernickel bread to use as a bowl (the leftover bread is good for dipping also), but really any old bowl will do. I don't know how good the mayo or the sour cream is for the waistline, but it tastes pretty good and at least the veggies are allegedly healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to try your version sometime. I also use the hollowed out loaf to serve mine in, but my version is a warm dip. It's also nice to serve with crackers or corn chips.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been