Monday, June 15, 2009

The blog goes on the road

Greetings from the laundrymat.  Yes I am in the process of doing the washing clothes thing, Thankfully my local place of all thing wash and dry-y has decided to go to being open 24 hours, so I didn't have to rush right out after work and beer to start washing clothes, rather I could sit at home for a bit and make something to eat, as well as put my feet up for a minute or three, as after today it was very much called for.

Today was the day of the parade for the Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins, and the parade route followed the one earlier this year when the Steelers won the Super Bowl, that is, it went directly in front of my place of business, and unlike a winter parade, the weather was warm enough that everyone and their brother was stopping by for beverages, mostly water, but beverages nonetheless.  Being humble and lovable stock guy that meant that I was to spend the better part of my day just keeping the coolers filled, or if not filled, at least with enough beverage that we didn't run out, unless we sold out, and on some items we actually did.

I lucked out earlier on the Steeler parade, it was on my off day so I stayed as far away as was humanly possible, no such luck this time.  I thought that maybe I would have some help, we actually had three stock persons on the schedule, but amazingly I was the only one working on the coolers the entire time.  Needless to say, I ran my ass off.  As an added bonus, I completely missed the parade.  The Stanley Cup motored right by with me not even so much as catching a glimpse of it.  I took my camera to work and everything and all I got were a few pics of before the parade and just as the parade was starting.  That's it.  No Crosby no Malkin, no Cup, no nothing.  Just me running up and down stairs all day long carrying loads of carbonated and non carbonated beverages.    Amazingly we had just gotten our Coke and Pepsi trucks on Friday, and we are already oiut of some of their products, such as Dasani and Auquafina waters. 

I wish besides work that their was a lot to report, but really there isn't.  I added some Coke points to my account and got a free computer game, Acropolis, which is a word tile type of game.  I have already went through it once, it isn't all that difficult, just time consuming, but since I had completed my Pogo badges for the week (I did all of them for a change), I figured I might as well give it a try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Back again, a few days later.  Technically it is my 40th birthday, though it feels like pretty much any other day.  Unliike the last entry, this one I am doing from the home computer, I am still tinkering with the bells and whistles on the laptop, I will probably take it home with me when I head out next weekend.  Anyway, I mentioned in the last blog that I hoped the change meter would crack triple digits by today, and it did with relative ease.  Another $1.47 to the kitty and the grand total is now $101.29.  Over $60 this year and the year is only half over.  Dare I think about making $150 by December?  Actually I doubt that will happen, most of my money was made while running the register at work, and I am down to just one day a week of that, which is fine with me but hurts the meter a little bit.

Anyway, to wrap up this particulatr blog I thought I would clear out the photos on my camera and see if anything there was postable.  Some of which I planned on using in past blogs, others are more recent.  Lets see what was saved in memory shall we.

 

This was the studio I was working in while doing Lynn's show over at WAMO AM.  A mite bit more spacious than my last digs, there was room enough for a couch in there if one was needed, The only slight difference between this and the old studio, besdies having better equipment to work with was that Lynn and I didn't look right at each other, rather I had a side view of her studio instead.

This would be a view of the David L Lawrence Convention Center from WAMO's location downtown.  It is supposed to be the world's largest green building, all I know is that the furries will be there in a couple of weeks. 

This is one of the toys I have bought myself, besides my laptop.  Just a simple MP3 player, I got tired of lugging CD's around in my bag when I wanted music for my bus ride to and from work.  I have a handful of songs on it, plus it does have a FM tuner built in.  Now if only Pittsburgh had FM radio stations worth listening to.

The US Steel building downtown.  This was actually going to be part of a walking tour type blog that I was putting together one Sunday afternoon, but since I didn't get about the blog in an adequate amount of time, I just thought I would throw the picture in here.

The Civic Arena, which now is the current home of the Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins, at least for a little while yet....

Until this thing gets finished, which for the time being is called the Consol Energy Center, or something along those lines.  At least with the Civic Arena, it was built before the advent of naming rights, so I could always ignore the corporate sponsorship.  Now all three Pittsburgh teams will play in buildings that started off being named after companies, so ignoring the naming rights becomes a tad more problematic.  Otherwise I will just end up calling them Field, Park and Center.

My place of work was directly along the aparde route on Monday, so here is a few shots of what things looked like, starting around 8am, when people werer already starting to straggle into position, and the road was already being closed off.

10am and still two hours till parade time.  By this time I was officially getting my ass kicked at work and was just hust barely able to keep all of our coolers stocked.

Yes it did get worse by parade time.  It was so packed it was hard to evemn get in and out of the store by this time, so i didn't get any cool shots, like the Stanley Cup rolling by or anything.  Instead I was just busy busting my ass, woe is me. 

Okay enough of the picture stuff, time to make some dinner and call this a blog.

2 comments:

  1. It does look packed, no wonder you were run off your feet, & it looks like it was a hot day, no wonder drinks were in demand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Downtown was a mess after the parade. Usually I can get home from work in about 15 to 20 minutes tops. Monday it took almost 2 hours and that was well after the parade had concluded.

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been