Sunday, July 6, 2008

One day forward, two days back

Greetings all and happy 4th of July weekend that has pretty much ended now, leaving us to once again go back to our dull and dreary lives. Then again, my life is always dull and dreary, so nothing new and exciting there.

As quickly as I update a blog, it needs updating again. I added a book to the Neverending thread just yesterday, but I polished it off this evening, so I will have to make adjustments to that particular thread in due time. For now I am reading "Behind Hitler's Lines", which is the story of the only person to fight for both the United States and the Soviet Union during World War II. I figure I have sugar coated my brain with enough fiction for the time being, so a little faction seemed to be in order. It is just a little quirk of mine, that I try to read both, without overdosing on either.

I guess my job interview is tomorrow. I would say wish me luck, but I am still undecided if it is a gig I want or not. I certainly could use the work, but while I was out Saturday, I saw a bunch of places that are looking for help. Mind you, I was hardly dressed to be doing applications, being in T shirt and shorts, so I just filed the stuff away mentally as places to check out on Tuesday, if things go all kind of sucky Monday. Hell, even if they don't, I would rather be in a position of picking where I want to work than being stuck with whatever job happens my way. I have to admit that this is probably the longest I can remember not working two jobs, I don't know if I like it all that much. It has forced me to do such things as cook for myself and to quit wasting money on some of my favorite things, like gallon jugs of iced tea. Instead I have been brewing my own, which I like better, but I am also very lazy in the whole cooking regard. Tonight I am feasting on the ever popular hamburger helper. Of course, since I am single, I get to eat it right out of the skillet, but that is small consolation for one such as I.

Other than buying some used paperbacks on Saturday and an iced coffee, I have kept my splurges to myself to just my cigarettes, so I have been behaving myself finacially if nothing else.

I have been having Multiply problems recently, I hope they are isolated to just me, I haven't heard any complaints from anyone else yet, so I assume they are. Nothing major mind you, I just haven't been getting updates on everyone's blogs as much as I'd like. I first noticed the problem with Lee's blog, but it has since expanded to a few others. Usually I can fix the problem with a refresh or three, but it is a minor inconvenience.

I know I will not be the first to say it, but Wimbledon seriously kicked ass. I had taken to making a joke out of it on the radio show, once all of the hot chicks had been removed from the women's draw and Serena and Venus Williams were still around in the semi finals, I took to giving updates on the air as the matches progressed and chanting "USA, USA" whenever one of them was ahead. Mind you, men's tennis in the States sucks something fierce, so I take my small victories where I can get them. That being said, both finals were awesome, though I didn't get to see much of the women's final Saturday morning. I found myself rooting for Nadal in the men's final, just because I was tired of seeing Roger Federer win it year after year. When Nadal went up two sets to none, I all but thought it was in the bag, then the rain came in the third set, then he lost the third set tiebreaker. I was nervous, but still confident, until he blew a 5-2 lead in the fourth set tie breaker, eventually losing it 10-8 to leave it tied at two sets a piece. At that point, I all but figured he would lose, but the rain came again, with the match tied in the third set. I was wondering if it ever would end. It did, after almost 5 hours of tennis and two rain delays with Nadal winning the 5th set 9-7. In all of my years watching tennis, that may have been the single best match I have ever saw. Mind you I am not a "Let's go to the bar and watch some tennis" kind of guy, but I do watch the occasional match or three, time and TV permitting.

I added some more caps to my soda cap collection. I could get up to 4 more songs from Pepsi, but I am not sure what I want just yet, and I still have a freebie from Coke I haven't cashed in. I may do that in the near future, as Coke runs their music through Rhapsody, and within the last week, Rhapsody announced all of their music would be available as MP3, whereas previously much of it was protected music that could only be played on Rhapsody, or burnt to CD, but it was not MP3 compatible. Mind you, the protected music thing was pretty easy to get around, but in was just an inane step to take in order to add it to my Coke Rewards music list.

I would like to say that I did something exciting for the 4th, but I really didn't, I just stayed in. It was just less of a hassle than going out and about. I have taken in the fireworks downtown in past years, they are okay, but usually they end after about 15-20 minutes and all of a sudden you are amongst a few hundred thousand people trying to get out and it becomes a traffic nightmare. It would probably be quicker for me to walk home on such occasions, but the walk would take me through Uptown, a not so friendly neighborhood, and I would prefer not to put life and limb in harms way, or be packed like a sardine into a city bus for a few fireworks. That being said, my neighborhood was full of jackasses who thought that by buying a Roman Candle they were somehow the next Zambelli. I secretly wished for a pryotechical disaster that would involve them and burning flesh, if for no other reason than to lower the decibel level in my neighborhood a few notches.

Well, I better call this a wrap, in all its disjointed glory. I need to get some sleep and given how muggy it is outside, that is going to be a project in and of itself.

6 comments:

  1. There is a bit of lag going on with my inbox notifications at the moment but it slowly seems to be catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just weird, I mentioned to Lee I was getting updates from everyone but him, missing out on all of the fun on his comment thread over the last few days. I suppose if I had a complex, I might have thought I was bumped off of his list or something, but then this evening I was having problems with Leslie's stuff and even some of yours I was getting outdated updates. Who knows what else I may have missed in my ignorance, but those were the ones I caught right away. Now I will have the honor of going back and making sure I didn't miss anything on anyone else's page. Thankfully I have a short enough friends list that it will not be a huge problem,.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I was having issues as well. Things that I had jus posted tonight disappeared for a bit, when they came back 2 or 3 replies later showing that they had already been read. It was very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a tip : To get an index of all entries on someone's page type http://username.multiply.com/blog
    into your browser
    It's easy to pick out what recent posts you may have missed. I don't think it works for guestbook entries though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would just like to say the mens singles final was absolutley the best ever, and Nadal deservedly won, god it was edge of the seat stuff, am worn out this morning with all the shouting lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will agree with you on the womens. I actually sat and watched the whole thing from my motel room while I was out of town! I was rather impressed with the thickness of those women's legs! holy crap! I myself didnt do anything for the 4th this year unless you count hanging out with my mother in law in the motel room drinking. lets see I picked up a few new books to add to my collection from borders. Both on your and Ang's recommendations or reviews which I guess is also a recommendation. At the rate its taking me to finish any of the first sets I'll never get to these and then Chad will be home and there goes that idea for reading since my time will be consumed with work the kids and him in that order. lol I laughed loudly at the pyrotechnical mishap that you had hoped for and the burning flesh. does that make me sick? I could just see it. I've been having issues with Multiply for months now. But I just chalk it up to, ANYTIME I switch from one blogging site to another the gods shine down on me with hate and rage and the site starts to flubb up! hope the interview went well. As long as you didnt wear a jean minnie skirt and ripped shorts and a halter tank I am sure you did wonderful! I'll explain the outfits in my own blog that i'll be doing up later. However I have been playing catch up for a few days on these and commenting on most xoxoxoxooxxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Our inspiration (the title for this blog)

Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.

Where we've been